IGNORED

Liam Manning - CONFIRMED NEW HEAD COACH

Lydered

7 hours ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

I hope he does well for us I really do.

My biggest concern is the players we have were brought in by Pearson to play his style of football and from the looks of it Manning plays a different style so we may have to spend money to get the style he wants which would probably annoying fans because Pearson wasn't backed...

7 hours ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

I hope he does well for us I really do.

My biggest concern is the players we have were brought in by Pearson to play his style of football and from the looks of it Manning plays a different style so we may have to spend money to get the style he wants which would probably annoying fans because Pearson wasn't backed...

That was the part of his talk that didn’t concern me, we do have players that will run, we do have players that if they are given a specific job will do it, we do have players that can push forward. What worries me is we also have some who have strayed from what they are meant to be doing and drove NP mad because he was disappointed with them.

32 minutes ago, Bobby girl said:

That was the part of his talk that didn’t concern me, we do have players that will run, we do have players that if they are given a specific job will do it, we do have players that can push forward. What worries me is we also have some who have strayed from what they are meant to be doing and drove NP mad because he was disappointed with them.

Pearson and his staff I think kept it simple. Because some players struggled with anything more complicated. 

Pearson tried to not speak to the players very often because when he had something to say, he wanted it to have impact. 

Our players are going to have to get used to being micro managed it seems plus plenty of team meetings. 

Under LJ, the players and especially the experienced ones, got fed up with that type of management. Maybe and hopefully Manning can deliver his message in a better way than LJ did. 

But I am worried that our players may become overloaded with information and that can lead to mistakes. 

I've worked under many managers in my time. When the new inexperienced fresh faced managers who are a bit wet behind the ears come in and try to change everything and tell you that you need to do things the way they demand because they've got a certificate, it never ends well for them. 

The next couple of days are going to be vital of getting the players to buy into Mannings vision. 

Pearson played to the players strengths. He didn't ask them to do things they couldn't do. It will be interesting to see if Manning can also do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Yeah i didn't get a good vibe watching it either, maybe we are looking into it too much..

I think if you want a bad vibe, watch Rob Edwards day 1 pre season video at Watford last summer.  Awks!!!

FWIW I don’t think that 80 seconds shows him off in the best light, but there are plenty of other things that will define him during his time here.

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

The massive gamble is the sacking of Pearson IMO (and team), not necessarily the appointment of Manning. 

Best of luck to him though, really liked what I heard from him today and despite the crap that JL/BT came out with about budgets, injuries and promotion, my expectations for this season have not changed one bit. Top half and I’ll be content. 

Clearly the “promotion” stick will be used to beat him, and some posters can’t wait to use it, so just a reminder…..it wasn’t Manning that sacked Pearson 👍

Well said Kibs. Sums things up nicely.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

In what way? results-wise that won't be that hard as overall they have been a bit underwhelming for most of his tenure, and yes I know there were mitigating circumstances for part of that. 

Tbh 2nd half of last season and I include the WBA game on Boxing Day and into this year there has been an uptick.

Year on year, progress.

2020-21..Final 14 games and if we want to include Middlesbrough as there was a huge impact when he watching on.

2 wins, or 3 if Middlesbrough. 9 from 14 or 12 from 15 PPG wise..0.64 to 0.8 per game roughly. Win percentage 14% or 20%.

Let's write that off though as behind closed doors, an era running its course.

2021-22

46 League games, 15 wins, 55 pts. About a 32.61% Win ratio, about 1.22 PPG.

2022-23

46 League games, 15 wins, 59 pts. Win ratio remain the same at about 32.61% but about 1.28 PPG.

2023-24

Depends how you wish to measure.

If 14 games strictly speaking under NP then it is 5 wins or 35.71%. 18 pts from 14 games, 1.2857 PPG, could be argued at rounding 1.29 PPG.

Or, if NP era as a whole including Fleming and his final game, 6 wins, 21 pts from 15 games..40% Win ratio, 1.4 PPG.

That should give us some May 64-65 pts and 18 wins if Manning can just maintain the baseline.

Witb the returnees from injury steadily coming back, perhaps he should improve it a bit.

The 2nd half of last season we did get 32 pts from 23 albeit just 8 wins.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Super said:

Not really interested by the interview which Is just as well really. Real work starts now and only thing he'll be judged on. Good luck.

Quite right- I've not watched his interview, no interest in it for me...after recent events they can keep the talk....

I will be watching what happens on the grass.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Kibs said:

The massive gamble is the sacking of Pearson IMO (and team), not necessarily the appointment of Manning. 

Best of luck to him though, really liked what I heard from him today and despite the crap that JL/BT came out with about budgets, injuries and promotion, my expectations for this season have not changed one bit. Top half and I’ll be content. 

Clearly the “promotion” stick will be used to beat him, and some posters can’t wait to use it, so just a reminder…..it wasn’t Manning that sacked Pearson 👍

No, the promotion stick is waiting for the Lansdownes....name written in bold- it's over there, waiting......

Hopefully Manning will be treated on his own merits & if he earns his own stick based upon that then fair enough.

7 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

I don’t think it’s about that. It doesn’t have to be the Messiah to recognise when a manager is poorly treated.  It’s the principle in the way the sacking came about and their reasons for the sacking etc. 

Don’t think I’ve read any comment saying NP was perfect or even getting the results we wanted, but it seemed reasonable to allow him the time of his contract to see what he could have now done, especially with the returning players. 

I disagree on giving him the time of his contract. There may be money available in January and the question hs to be if you are the owner 

“do we want to give money to a man we are not sure is the right man past the summer of 2024?’

People say Pearson had the finances pulled - I don’t think he did. I just don’t think the bloke did enough to warrant a new contract past next summer, so it would be daft to have given him money in January and invest in his plan further when it was likely he would not be here 

Pearson then used the press to force the issue in recent weeks. Has he not done that - I’m sure he would still be here 

Time to move on 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My concern from the press conference was that LM didn't really speak about the squad and its qualities and the work ethic it has. Touched on it a little but not a lot. 

It very much come across as I'm here now and we are going to do things my way. 

I'm not sure that's the right way to go about it. 

This is a squad that Pearson brought and the players will still feel upset about him leaving and they may have a loyalty towards him.

To a lesser extent it reminds me of when Clough went in at Leeds after Rennie and he told the players to forget everything they had done before. It didn't end well. 

Manning would do well to come in here and to not change things dramatically over night. Continue on the lines of Pearson and Co and slowly introduce his own ideas. 

If he comes in with that iron hammer it will not go well.

Give it a rest ffs . You come across so angry that you’re reading/listening to what you want to. He said loads of times about the quality of the squad & it was a major reason for him joining . Take some time out . Doom & gloom 😭😭😭

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Bloody hell the "give him time" is starting already. 

We'd have expected to beat QPR if Pearson was still here so I expect us to still beat them. 

This guy doesn't get a grace period, he has to deliver better results than NP immediately. 

Wow you are relentless with your anti Manning agenda. Over the last few hours you've said:

Promotion or bust because JL says so even though you don't respect JL.

Has to win straight away no excuses.

The players clearly hate him because he's not Nige.

He's not credited the current players enough even though he did and then compared it strangely to Clough telling Leeds players to rip up their medals.

He'll over complicate football but football needs to instructed simply so it doesn't confuse the players (again I'm guessing another reference to Clough liking to keep it simple, I'm sure you've just watched a documentary recently and think you've cracked the manager code)

You've automatically associated LJ with Manning because simply they are both young.

I've probably missed some other golden nuggets from you. You really need to get over Nigel leaving. I know it's been hard on you since he left. Everytime you get into bed with NP pjamas on, in NP bedsheets and then waking up to a NP mug of tea. He's gone mate. It's fine to be critical you've more than done that. Like a broken record infact!

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

The biggest worry was Tinnion just lurking at the back. It’s time to give LM the benefit of the doubt. I was as angry as anyone last week but there is no point constantly looking back. Let’s see what the next few months bring before writing him off. And if he does fail it’s down to the three buffoons. To be fair if he succeeds it will be despite of them too. 

As for the LJ comparison, LM has already performed better in his short career than boy wonder ever has. 

Edited by Jose
  • Like 2

Look...he's now our manager. I've seen a huge number come and go. He certainly comes across better than some. I've not followed Liam Manning's career but his CV is interesting, he's worked in tough environments, things haven't always gone well and he's bounced back. Good luck to him! On our his shoulders rest our hopes! 

COYR etc etc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We'd have expected to beat QPR if Pearson was still here so I expect us to still beat them. 

This guy doesn't get a grace period, he has to deliver better results than NP immediately. 

And clearly tweaking a playing style, perhaps even formations, getting to know the players, assessing their individual strengths and weaknesses can all be done on the back of a 6 minute talk and 2 and a bit days on the training ground……

Judge the progress after 6-8 games, QPR will be interesting in terms of team selection arguably (even if injury means that it’ll pretty much pick itself), but it can’t be a litmus test on the qualities and abilities of a new manager and new playing ethos.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don’t disagree with you mate, and I’ve agreed with a lot of your posts on the last week. What I am saying is it will take a few games to establish if Nige’s players are playing for him. Whatever happens Saturday it won’t be down to Manning.

41 minutes ago, Jose said:

The biggest worry was Tinnion just lurking at the back. It’s time to give LM the benefit of the doubt. I was as angry as anyone last week but there is no point constantly looking back. Let’s see what the next few months bring before writing him off. And if he does fail it’s down to the three buffoons. To be fair if he succeeds it will be despite of them too. 

As for the LJ comparison, LM has already performed better in his short career than boy wonder ever has. 

Don't be worried mate Brian Tinnion I'd imagine is better qualified than anyone here to help run the club, and for the lurking hes going to be there to help show manning around and answer any questions that Sandra the tea lady doesn't know regarding the facilities. You are right on looking back though👍

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Wow you are relentless with your anti Manning agenda. Over the last few hours you've said:

Promotion or bust because JL says so even though you don't respect JL.

Has to win straight away no excuses.

The players clearly hate him because he's not Nige.

He's not credited the current players enough even though he did and then compared it strangely to Clough telling Leeds players to rip up their medals.

He'll over complicate football but football needs to instructed simply so it doesn't confuse the players (again I'm guessing another reference to Clough liking to keep it simple, I'm sure you've just watched a documentary recently and think you've cracked the manager code)

You've automatically associated LJ with Manning because simply they are both young.

I've probably missed some other golden nuggets from you. You really need to get over Nigel leaving. I know it's been hard on you since he left. Everytime you get into bed with NP pjamas on, in NP bedsheets and then waking up to a NP mug of tea. He's gone mate. It's fine to be critical you've more than done that. Like a broken record infact!

I think they might have mentioned something that happened at Milton Keynes?  Can't quite remember what ...

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Kibs said:

Spot on. 

It’s done now. Let’s hope they all back up their words, it’s a fickle business as it is, how good would it feel if he does succeed. I’ll miss Nige’s refreshing honesty but Manning’s made a big leap, so let’s back him to give him the best chance he can. Christ he’s young too 😂 

14 hours ago, mozo said:

I think what will help Manning is that he inherits a highly motivated, hard working squad, with a lot of ambitious young players. 

Typically a new manager inherits a mess but he's not at all. It's just a squad that hasn't been invested in enough.

Correct, NP was here to clear the mess up and set the foundations, that’s now complete.  Jon and co are hoping for a repeat of history.  Manning talks a good game, I’m excited and want him bring us all what we are craving for.  

15 hours ago, Shev said:

Wycombe fan here. I just wanted to post as we have come up against Liam Manning's sides a few times, and I have been very impressed with what he has accomplished. I was just mentioning him a week or so ago to a friend as the face of a new breed of younger British managers who have a bit more nuance (and almost continental understanding) of the game, compared to the "up and at 'em" ethos of yesteryear.

For context on his MK sacking, he had them playing amazing football in 21/22, coming 3rd and very close to the autos. However, they sold their best player and had a lot of top quality loanees who went back, and they simply could not replace well enough, leading to a bad start to 22/23 and a sacking (MK would end up relegated too). He went to Oxford who were floundering, kept them up, and then cracked on excellently this season.

I really think his style is suited to higher up the divisions, which is why in theory he is an excellent hire. He is one of those (along with Mousinho at Portsmouth and others) who I expect to work his way up one way or another. We are not talking about hiring some clogger from the lower leagues, but someone with a very good grasp of the game.

Of course it could come unstuck - who knows if he will have enough credibility with the players, and the Championship is so competitive that it is easy to go on a bad run. It also may take him a while to bed in. But seeing as you tend to be a pretty loyal club with managers, my money is on him being a success with you.

Oh, and if he could actually develop Mehmeti, so much the better!

Thank you for a considered and insightful post. 

But please, let’s put to bed this ‘loyal club with managers’. We’ve been loyal once. Once ever. And that was to a family friend. Cotterill - no loyalty. Pearson - no loyalty. 

The Lansdowns seem to have been afforded this ‘patient owners’ tag, it’s peddled by Sky because they allowed Johnson to lose a million in a row, twice. And with respect, its bollocks. Take nepotism out of the equation and They’re no more patient than any other owners in reality (barring maybe Watford).

I hope you’re right about Manning. Good luck for the season. 😊 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1