IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

Bottom if the table & down to 10 men.

In the past a game like this would be heading for the almost certainty of the opposition snatching a late equaliser or winner.

After all that's happened this last week, perhaps the result is by far the most important thing.

• Like 16
  • Flames 1
1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

The performance was as some have said ok , Knight , TGH , Tanner and others did well , not a big fan of O’Leary but two good saves , three points vital .

The problem with agreeing with the majority is god some of the people on here are the most most miserable  , moaning bunch on this planet , it’s been a crap week absolutely wanted Nige to stay , but it wasn’t dire or awful , it was average , for some everything is black or white, good or bad , nowhere in the middle .

The majority thing was a joke, don’t know if you’ve seen my posts but they’ve caused some reactions the last few days.

But I see what you’re saying mate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

You missed a good performance.

Atmosphere is always shit tbh.

Done to the back teeth this atmosphere is shit at home thing , like I said before nearly all home crowds are poor that’s why nearly all  crowds even in the championship have pretty much sell out away support because it’s a better day all round , our away support this year has been excellent by the way .

go to old Trafford terrible atmosphere from the home fans but away fans always have a great day and make plenty of noise , Utd fans shite at home but very few if any better away , 

• Like 4

I thought it was dreadful today. It was an incredibly strange atmosphere in that everyone trudged off out the stadium at the end as if we’d lost. 

I thought we were a bloody boring watch, and the atmosphere was just so, so flat. 

There were occasions in the first half where we won the ball back high up the pitch, charging at goal, and it was met with… silence? Just bizarre.

Also, I know S82 are the only ones who ever start a song so fair play to them for that, but I really think the atmosphere might improve at least a tad if they sang some classic, easy to join in ones. Red flag… ei ei ei o… drink up thy zider. Even just ole ole Bristol City… Just me? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I thought it was dreadful today. It was an incredibly strange atmosphere in that everyone trudged off out the stadium at the end as if we’d lost. 

I thought we were a bloody boring watch, and the atmosphere was just so, so flat. 

There were occasions in the first half where we won the ball back high up the pitch, charging at goal, and it was met with… silence? Just bizarre.

Also, I know S82 are the only ones who ever start a song so fair play to them for that, but I really think the atmosphere might improve at least a tad if they sang some classic, easy to join in ones. Red flag… ei ei ei o… drink up thy zider. Even just ole ole Bristol City… Just me? 

Really?  not saying it was anything great today but do not recognise what you describe , and certainly people were happy with the result afterwards . 

Pretty fed up of always putting the fans down , been away at lot in recent times , bar Leeds the home atmosphere was pretty crap , City fans excellent , just the way it is these days it seems 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Completely disagree , our press isnt slow at all. It’s all subjective but it’s not across the board . It depends who you’re playing . I’ll give you the Plymouth game . They play a high line & try to play out from the back. We’re 2-0 up in ten minutes forcing them into mistakes. Today , Wednesday let us have the ball . Completely different tactics . We’ve also been labelled a counter attacking team over the last year. You can’t counter attack if you don’t press the ball . Plus you don’t press everywhere because that leaves you open. You set traps &ypu can’t press high all game , it’s physically impossible 

Plymouth also played their reserves and we aren’t a countering side but we probably should be. Best way to make up the gaps we have in quality. Sheffield Wednesday with 10 men a big boys everywhere still were comfortable with playing out when they could because we make it easy. There isn’t a proper intensity to our defending. Idk how I can really explain my view on it. Maybe by saying the best pressing I can remember is a Brighton side a few years ago maybe the year they went up. That was a proper press and we aren’t close to that. 

2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Really?  not saying it was anything great today but do not recognise what you describe , and certainly people were happy with the result afterwards . 

Pretty fed up of always putting the fans down , been away at lot in recent times , bar Leeds the home atmosphere was pretty crap , City fans excellent , just the way it is these days it seems 

I think we have excellent away support and I generally think our home support is ok. That’s why I thought it was notably flat today. But just my opinion. Maybe confirmation bias.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Weimanns strength used to be making those runs in behind the defence, man off the pitch there, Pring plays the ball and Weimann doesn't make the run. He honestly looks like a player we finally need to let go off, he doesn't offer anything in this system, his form is poor, he just seems to be in the team because he'll run for a full 90.

I’m posting in hindsight, but I thought Weimann playing left forward today offered so much more than Sam Bell has recently.

He played 20 yards infield, and that allowed Pring a lot of space to move into.  If I’m being slightly critical of Pring, I think he played 10 yards too high first half, but at least we didn’t have Bell denying the space down the channel.

The other thing Weimann did was run in behind Conway, and switch with Conway as he sometimes dropped into pockets.

A solid performance for the team from Andi imho.

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

Bloody ell - Wednesday had some units on display today.

Back three of Iorfa, Diaby and Bernard…no slouches either.

Callum Paterson, Michael Smith.

Then they brought on more with the subs.

++++++

On a bit of a moan - I thought we let them play out from throw-ins far too easily and break our first line.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

Exactly , wish people would just accept that’s how it is at nearly all grounds now most of the time 

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

3 points and a clean sheet about as good as it gets 

Sunderland played against 10 men today for as long as we did, we got 3 points they got 1 and still, some on here complain, have we forgotten so easily being 2-1 up against Coventry last season against 10 and somehow losing 3-2? a bit of perspective is needed look let's just enjoy a winning weekend and look forward to hopefully better times ahead.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 6

Thought it was an unusual sort of game really. Better side but Sheffield Wednesday always posed a danger and were never really out of it, they clipped the bar at 0-0.

They were quite physical and tbh Sheffield Wednesday baseline performance even away from home has improved under their new manager, but they cannot score.

We did dominate the ball, nice to see a few injured players returning. Dickie scoring again, his 2nd in the League? 5 goals a good target.

Tanner at RB moving forward will be able to give us better balance with a genuine RB, put Sykes in his best position and enable us to consider Gardner-Hickman in midfield and not worrying about filling in at RB.

9 hours ago, chinapig said:

Interesting read of post game opinions. I felt the boys showed well today and I enjoyed the game. Just got bit squeaky bum as we could get the second to seal the win. Did think Wednesday had a goal in them. The crowd was bit tame today but all around me seemed happy enough with the three points. But then it's been a strange week, NP sacked, new manager rumours in full flow. So was always going to be an odd afternoon.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bloody ell - Wednesday had some units on display today.

Back three of Iorfa, Diaby and Bernard…no slouches either.

Callum Paterson, Michael Smith.

Then they brought on more with the subs.

++++++

On a bit of a moan - I thought we let them play out from throw-ins far too easily and break our first line.

Said the same to my mates at the time. Bloody huge guys, some of them. Terrified me, and I was in Row 8!

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, steveybadger said:
16 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sky saying the foul looked inside the box?

I’m level with it. The initial contact was outside but he stayed on his feet into the area, was about to shoot then got clipped again. Pen and a red as not attempting to play the ball.

Oops got that wrong - not a pen and not sure it was a red either!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m posting in hindsight, but I thought Weimann playing left forward today offered so much more than Sam Bell has recently.

He played 20 yards infield, and that allowed Pring a lot of space to move into.  If I’m being slightly critical of Pring, I think he played 10 yards too high first half, but at least we didn’t have Bell denying the space down the channel.

The other thing Weimann did was run in behind Conway, and switch with Conway as he sometimes dropped into pockets.

A solid performance for the team from Andi imho.

I’ll be honest I’m still not seeing it with Weimann (this season), Dave. I actually thought he again was disappointing yesterday in the main. I thought first half especially, that Conway was a little isolated up top and wasn’t being ably supported by Weimann and others. The second half, Wednesday were a little deeper sitting in which closed the pitch forcing our advanced midfielders to be closer to Conway. Don’t get me wrong Bell has been due a rest and time out of the side, however Weimann doesn't offer much of an improvement for me. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I’ll be honest I’m still not seeing it with Weimann (this season), Dave. I actually thought he again was disappointing yesterday in the main. I thought first half especially, that Conway was a little isolated up top and wasn’t being ably supported by Weimann and others. The second half, Wednesday were a little deeper sitting in which closed the pitch forcing our advanced midfielders to be closer to Conway. Don’t get me wrong Bell has been due a rest and time out of the side, however Weimann doesn't offer much of an improvement for me. 

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s at his best, but I thought he offered so much more (for the team) yesterday than Bell has for several games.  Even last week at Cardiff he basically babysat Joseph James, probably to the detriment of his own performance.  Yesterday I thought it allowed Pring the space to roam forward.

It was no more than a 6/10…but we’ve been getting 5/10 from Bell of late, and I thought it was helpful to Pring and also Conway to know that if he dropped deep, Andi would do the opposite run.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s at his best, but I thought he offered so much more (for the team) yesterday than Bell has for several games.  Even last week at Cardiff he basically babysat Joseph James, probably to the detriment of his own performance.  Yesterday I thought it allowed Pring the space to roam forward.

It was no more than a 6/10…but we’ve been getting 5/10 from Bell of late, and I thought it was helpful to Pring and also Conway to know that if he dropped deep, Andi would do the opposite run.

Seems like any time Weimann plays out on either wing, he likes or tends to roam more inside. Think it hurts the side when he does it in front of Tanner as he’s more of a ball to feet man. But agree with you that it gave Pring space to do what Pring likes to do.