IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

4 minutes ago, 97Red said:

I wasn't at the game today. But the fact we scraped by bottom of the league who had 10 men, tells you all you need to know. This is a mid table squad that Pearson was doing his best to get the most out of. Lansdown is absolutely deluded with his promotion squad statements. 

I think we are a couple of quality attacking players away from potentially being a top 6 side. If we had all of our defensive options available, we have a pretty decent base to work from.

Although we have 7 or 8 forward options, unfortunately they are not good enough.

Whilst Alex Scott is a sensational talent, i believe we miss Semenyo more.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If we had more quality Bell could have been put through FOUR times. If you aren’t just ball watching things like that amplify where we lack quality. Playing 10 yard passes in front of the opposition isn’t quality.

Agreed we are lacking that player who has vision (we used to have one).

I think we passed the ball well for most of the game and also kept the ball well for most of the game.

We looked the better side against eleven let alone ten.

The Bell miss put pressure on us imo.

14 attempts on goal with seven on target make a nice change.

Happy with that game personally.

• Like 1
Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

There were overloads but think a lot of that was having 11 vs 10 and them being terrible. Moved the ball too slowly as well. But showed plenty of effort and fight and tried to avoid sitting back. Thought pros and cons of NP era were pretty much all there today. 

They were bad weren’t they. First half was the same old. I thought the changes were good. Naismith pushing into midfield allowing a midfielder to push forward. Mehmeti popping up everywhere and looking confident. Not sure NP takes a CB off. Not sure he brings Mehmeti on. And just generally thought our creative players looked a bit more relaxed. It wasn’t pretty or necessarily good but I thought it was something. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If we had more quality Bell could have been put through FOUR times. If you aren’t just ball watching things like that amplify where we lack quality. Playing 10 yard passes in front of the opposition isn’t quality.

What would Bell then do? 🤣 It wasn’t perfect but I felt the players enjoyed it today. 

• Like 1

A fairly poor game and a win against let’s be honest a team we should be comfortably beating at home.

Fair play to Fleming and the lads though, difficult circumstances and they did enough to win the game. Wasn’t pretty but they did enough.

Can’t complain too much, only 4 points off the play-offs aswell, a decent starting point for whoever the new man is that comes in and takes over.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Glen hump said:

Certainly not, he’s obviously trying to get reactions off people.

How about trying to have a civil debate with detailed opinions? Instead of just trying to undermine other peoples opinions you don’t agree with, with false claims. Laziness.

Wait…where have I heard that before?

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I think we are a couple of quality attacking players away from potentially being a top 6 side. If we had all of our defensive options available, we have a pretty decent base to work from.

Although we have 7 or 8 forward options, unfortunately they are not good enough.

Whilst Alex Scott is a sensational talent, i believe we miss Semenyo more.

Spot on. We don’t have anyone who can beat a fullback. Semenyo and Scott to a degree could. Mehmeti has tricks but not the physical gifts for this level to consistently take players on.  Looks more comfortable roaming and finding pockets of space from a central role. 

Sykes is our best creative player imo. That just isn’t enough though. I look at bits of business like Whittaker to Plymouth or Philogene to Hull and think what if. 

25 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Saw today we have some quality if used correctly. This isn’t the lower half of the table side NP made it look. So excited for the future

Stop smoking crack sunshine . That was ******* awful. I’ve often thought you talk rubbish at times but bloody hell. As for you’re previous post . Do you seriously think this squad is any better than 16th-12th because it ain’t . Just because a chairman with absolutely no qualifications to be a chairman of a football club apart from his dad stuck a silver spoon up his ass at birth says so , doesn’t make it true. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, Glen hump said:

Have you even read his posts, he’s obviously trying to get a reaction 

Poster doesn’t hate the Pearson sacking and thinks a team 4 points off playoffs has better ability than Pearson got out of them means he is going for reactions. Not my problem half of you in love with Pearson and feel the need to come to his aide when someone says he was overrated

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

In fairness, I think it does suit many of our forwards.

Conway is good through the centre of a 3, as is Wells.

Sykes, Mehmeti, and Bell are fine out wide. In fact, I'd argue that wide in a front 3 is the only position Bell can play.

Whilst Conway has been injured (and other injuries have moved Sykes to RB), I think it's a general lack of quality in the front 3 that's been the bigger issue. 

They are too wide compared to Semenyo, Martin and Wiemann when they had their purple patch. It just ends up with people being isolated and crosses into no one. Not a fan. I don’t think we’d lose that much from forward play if we went back to a system that played 2 up front.

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Stop smoking crack sunshine . That was ******* awful. I’ve often thought you talk rubbish at times but bloody hell. As for you’re previous post . Do you seriously think this squad is any better than 16th-12th because it ain’t . Just because a chairman with absolutely no qualifications to be a chairman of a football club apart from his dad stuck a silver spoon up his ass at birth says so , doesn’t make it true. 

Seen enough teams to think ain’t much in it. Tactical set ups matter and we were lacking. We’ll just keep signing other teams best players but say we aren’t great. We aren’t Leeds Southampton or Leicester. After that we are about the same as everyone else bar the bottom 3-4 sides. That is the championship. 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Seen enough teams to think ain’t much in it. Tactical set ups matter and we were lacking. We’ll just keep signing other teams best players but say we aren’t great. We aren’t Leeds Southampton or Leicester. After that we are about the same as everyone else bar the bottom 3-4 sides. That is the championship. 

Agree to a point that the championship is loaded with teams like us. However , in lord fontleroy’s words we need to out perform our budget . That’s not going to happen with this squad , it’s too thin. If all of a sudden in January the purse strings open then we know for sure nige was sawn off at the knees & they’ve been lying all along . It’s the lack of transparency I hate. 

After all the emotion of the week regardless of the opposition or there league position 3 points is 3 points ,

we have got to move on now nothing we do is going to change what has happened , doesn’t mean we got to be happy with what’s happened , personally think we will appoint someone this week in time for the away game at qpr then the international break to get his feet under the table then he’s tenure will begin in earnest 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Ever considered anger management?

(We won a match today btw)

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

They are too wide compared to Semenyo, Martin and Wiemann when they had their purple patch. It just ends up with people being isolated and crosses into no one. Not a fan. I don’t think we’d lose that much from forward play if we went back to a system that played 2 up front.

Absolutely right 3 spread out hadn't worked conway no good on his own in the middle ,basically he is just being battered by giant centre half's on his own and its is usually 2 .he is not an aerial ball winner he needs a partner to work gaps with on the floor like Wells don't know why we persevere with it..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree to a point that the championship is loaded with teams like us. However , in lord fontleroy’s words we need to out perform our budget . That’s not going to happen with this squad , it’s too thin. If all of a sudden in January the purse strings open then we know for sure nige was sawn off at the knees & they’ve been lying all along . It’s the lack of transparency I hate. 

That is fair. I think it was always the Lansdowns intentions to let Nige see out his contract and thats it. His job was keep us in the division with a tight budget. Get us better physically and defensively. He did that. Maybe did it so well they thought we can have a go this season. It be nice to tell us that if the case but not realistic. 

We’ll never know if NP could have done more. I don’t believe he sets up in a modern way that has been successful over the years. With the comments from the club about high intensity and all that they didn’t think so either. No doubts whoever comes in will get funds in January. Harsh on NP to build it and not get backing? Yes but again I feel like that was always going to be the case.