IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s at his best, but I thought he offered so much more (for the team) yesterday than Bell has for several games.  Even last week at Cardiff he basically babysat Joseph James, probably to the detriment of his own performance.  Yesterday I thought it allowed Pring the space to roam forward.

It was no more than a 6/10…but we’ve been getting 5/10 from Bell of late, and I thought it was helpful to Pring and also Conway to know that if he dropped deep, Andi would do the opposite run.

It's a pretty low bar that comparison Dave!

On the face of it, you'd hope we'd be able to dispatch bottom of the league with 10 men with ease but there are no easy games in the Championship and Wednesday seem to be playing better under new management. I will say though I think it's harder to break down teams with 10 men as they will put all 10 behind the ball and look to get us on the break, which they did a couple of times. Just undecided whether that's a testament to them or simply us being sloppy in midfield.

48 minutes ago, frenchred said:

It's a pretty low bar that comparison Dave!

In a team game, the adage “you’re only as strong as the weakest link” is as true as ever.

24 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

On the face of it, you'd hope we'd be able to dispatch bottom of the league with 10 men with ease but there are no easy games in the Championship and Wednesday seem to be playing better under new management. I will say though I think it's harder to break down teams with 10 men as they will put all 10 behind the ball and look to get us on the break, which they did a couple of times. Just undecided whether that's a testament to them or simply us being sloppy in midfield.

I guess a simple response is Swansea v Sunderland.  Swansea lost their playmaker Patino on the half hour too.  They got a nil-nil, and even missed a penalty.

Thankfully we got the goal during a period of second half dominance.  They were quite strong last 10-15.  I chewed a lot of fingernails!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JakeOTIB said:

I thought they did well when they went to 10. Defended deeper obviously , but did cause problems at times. Played some decent stuff and moved it well when they had the chance. 
I think it showed up that we can play a bit, but when we have a lot of the ball we can end up moving it slower. 
Conway hasn't looked the same player from last year, but I think that is because we haven't had anyone close to him. 2nd half he started dropping into pockets and moving them around. Hit the post and got an assist, though it looked like a poor cross .  So to answer your question, bit of both.

• Like 1

I think on hearing CF post match, the way they played yesterday made more sense. Albeit a bit boring at times he asked for a much more passing game ( and we’ve definitely been guilty of hoofing the ball forward and reaching No one recently) and I thought they definitely delivered on that, doubling SW’s number of passes. I know possession isn’t always everything, but we had that too. 
 I’m a huge Weimman fan before and after his brilliant goal scoring season, but I do think he’s struggling this season. I know he’s been out injured, but whether it’s his position or something,  it just doesn’t seem to be quite clicking at the moment. 

All in all think Tommy is better in a two upfront, their defence kept him pretty well covered so difficult for him to shine. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 1

I thought it was an entertaining game in the end, and Wednesday fans will be gutted not to come away with something because they were causing us problems all game. We definitely should have scored a couple more (Conway and Bell), and Wednesday wasted 3 or 4 point blank headers and created a few pinball moments in our box.

The 3 points is handy, but it feels a bit meaningless until we have a better idea of the direction the club is going in.

Bit off topic but blimey what a dour Forever Bristol City Podcast. 
  I get that people have got their own opinions, but according to Les he actually finds it embarrassing the level of support for NP.
And doesn’t  understand the “Nigel love in” as he termed it. 

He focused mainly on the on pitch results which if fair enough and on paper no it wasn’t great. When the injuries were mentioned his answer was simply “ well that’s football”!

It might well be football, but you usually have the board behind you, a reasonable budget and a demonstration of a cohesive team from board to team. He had a budget but that meant he could really only afford 1st division footballers.

They were happy with him whilst he was following their project  once that was pretty much done and dusted they’ve had enough.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Bit off topic but blimey what a dour Forever Bristol City Podcast. 
  I get that people have got their own opinions, but according to Les he actually finds it embarrassing the level of support for NP.
And doesn’t  understand the “Nigel love in” as he termed it. 

He focused mainly on the on pitch results which if fair enough and on paper no it wasn’t great. When the injuries were mentioned his answer was simply “ well that’s football”!

It might well be football, but you usually have the board behind you, a reasonable budget and a demonstration of a cohesive team from board to team. He had a budget but that meant he could really only afford 1st division footballers.

They were happy with him whilst he was following their project  once that was pretty much done and dusted they’ve had enough.

No surprise to hear his view based on his 50 zillion personas on here, Lez, Dog, Londoner, Gabrielle.  He’s perfectly entitled to them too.  I hope he’s consistent with his evaluation of the next “manager”.

• Flames 1
24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No surprise to hear his view based on his 50 zillion personas on here, Lez, Dog, Londoner, Gabrielle.  He’s perfectly entitled to them too.  I hope he’s consistent with his evaluation of the next “manager”.

That’s him is it! I did wonder. Figures. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Honestly if that was your first ever introduction to football podcasts you’d never bother ever again 😂

Talk about depressing!

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quick sign of progress and in some ways it isn't even necessarily the individuals, moreso the unit, the team etc.

Late on in NP's first full season we played Peterborough at home who came up and went back down. A goal up, they went down to 10 at 1-0 us on around an hour.

Major difference.

Screenshot_20231105-172001_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0b04463ae33a8abbe0dc2a4ba278f83b.jpgScreenshot_20231105-172009_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0308340c4e8da5383f009278c58bd07b.jpg

Thanks. Interesting to have the comparison.

Well yes. Definite improvement in most areas tbf. significantly in passing accuracy as well as shots on target. 

7 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

I thought they definitely delivered on that, doubling SW’s number of passes. I know possession isn’t always everything, but we had that too. 

Did you realise that possession stats are just a way of converting the number of passes into a percentage, so if you have more passes you always have the (%) same amount more possession.

48 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Did you realise that possession stats are just a way of converting the number of passes into a percentage, so if you have more passes you always have the (%) same amount more possession.

Think possession stats are generally based on “time in possession” rather than passes per se.

According to my Wyscout data:

image.thumb.png.c16453488272f509d1612f24cd482e83.png

1001 passes, City 66.63%, Wed 33.37%, but…

Possession was, City 62.42%, Wed 37.58%.

(sorry big pedant alert, I’m not proud 🤣🤣🤣)

image.thumb.png.ba17bfbc3c47d413e807ddc59cfdcc0e.png

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Did laugh when the guy said how embarrassing the love in has been on OTIB. Not as embarrassing as a grown bloke trying to login under multiple usernames trying to spout his own agenda. 🤣

Quite possibly the most contradictory FBC POD I’ve listened to on this occasion. Did nothing for my frown lines. 

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think possession stats are generally based on “time in possession” rather than passes per se.

According to my Wyscout data:

image.thumb.png.c16453488272f509d1612f24cd482e83.png

1001 passes, City 66.63%, Wed 33.37%, but…

Possession was, City 62.42%, Wed 37.58%.

(sorry big pedant alert, I’m not proud 🤣🤣🤣)

image.thumb.png.ba17bfbc3c47d413e807ddc59cfdcc0e.png

I’ve always been fascinated by this stat - if you look at the pass count in this thread - it shows 1005 passes in total and 664 to City ie 66%. 
I’ve been told most sites use this method as it’s much easier to generate!

Perhaps Wyscout does it differently/ more accurately but the method above seems to be v popular and I think why BBC no longer add pass counts to their match stats?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I’ve always been fascinated by this stat - if you look at the pass count in this thread - it shows 1005 passes in total and 664 to City ie 66%. 
I’ve been told most sites use this method as it’s much easier to generate!

Perhaps Wyscout does it differently/ more accurately but the method above seems to be v popular and I think why BBC no longer add pass counts to their match stats?

Also to add, I liked the u20 Euros where they had both team’s percentage and a “no control” percentage too.  I think the football analysts (not hobbyists like me) refer to this as “field tilt”.