IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday at home match thread

52 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Enjoyed the game, City played well imo. and not sure why some are saying it was rubbish - it really wasn't. I liked the crisp passing and the patient build ups, no hopeless long balls. 

Bell should have got the second with no doubt about it - it was a pathetic miss, would have made the game a lot easier and put us under a bit of pressure late on.

Well pleased with the performance and the 3 points.

I wouldn't want to watch it again......it was 3 points, that's it. Apart from a bright start in both half's the rest of the game was awful. As for crisp passing.....wow.

Just now, CityCiderEd said:

I wouldn't want to watch it again......it was 3 points, that's it. Apart from a bright start in both half's the rest of the game was awful. As for crisp passing.....wow.

Awful ? Really can't agree with that.

And yes, I did think there was some crisp passing, keeping the ball well, patient build ups, and some decent chances.

14 attempts on goal and 7 on target isn't a usual stat for us.

Not surprising that the performance was pretty much 'more of the same'. First game without Nige after all. I liked that CF started the returnees and subbed them early, not sure Nige would've done that.

However,the coaches that have set our style of play are still here (apart from JE), so why would we expect anything different? NP said repeatedly that he isn't a coach. I think we need a talented coach to get the best out of the squad.

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Awful ? Really can't agree with that.

And yes, I did think there was some crisp passing, keeping the ball well, patient build ups, and some decent chances.

14 attempts on goal and 7 on target isn't a usual stat for us.

You factoring in that it was against a team that had ten men, their best player sent off, and bottom of the table. They’ve won one game so far.

passing side to side is a minimum with those factors surely?

Just now, UncleRed said:

You factoring in that it was against a team that had ten men, their best player sent off, and bottom of the table. They’ve won one game so far.

passing side to side is a minimum with those factors surely?

You see whatever game you want to see.

I'll do the same.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wasn't that bad. Waxed and wained at times, 2nd half moreso. 1st half pretty flat.

IMO anyway. I've never thought sound travels around the ground so well.

I thought the chant of " Dirt is lemmings glider barmy" came across loud and strong.

The guy next to me was positive that Hank Stamp Hard is the next Manager.

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

That is fair. I think it was always the Lansdowns intentions to let Nige see out his contract and thats it. His job was keep us in the division with a tight budget. Get us better physically and defensively. He did that. Maybe did it so well they thought we can have a go this season. It be nice to tell us that if the case but not realistic. 

We’ll never know if NP could have done more. I don’t believe he sets up in a modern way that has been successful over the years. With the comments from the club about high intensity and all that they didn’t think so either. No doubts whoever comes in will get funds in January. Harsh on NP to build it and not get backing? Yes but again I feel like that was always going to be the case. 

You’ve completely contradicted yourself in the second paragraph by saying the club wants high press front foot football . We’ve 100% been high intense higher press under nige , after the first year or so  of getting rid of the players that wouldn’t suit it . To say otherwise is just wrong . He said in his first interview . To be a prem side you need power , pace & high intensity . He was doing that with no budget . For the club to come out after & say that’s how we want to play made me laugh . That’s what Pearson implemented . Funny how it’s taken those ******* idiots 25 years to finally see a way they want to play but sack the man implementing it.

on your first paragraph. This is what I mean about transparency . If they’d said.
Nigel has done a brilliant job in turning us around in what was a really difficult job . We’ve made mistakes that led to that & we couldn’t be more grateful for the hard work he’s put in. However we feel it’s time to move onto the next stage of our development . 

I would of still been pissed off at the time with his sacking but would of thought. Ok , fair enough . At least they’ve spoke the truth. I can get behind that . Unfortunately all they do is lie . It’s insulting that they think we’re really that stupid to not see through it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3
25 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Not surprising that the performance was pretty much 'more of the same'. First game without Nige after all. I liked that CF started the returnees and subbed them early, not sure Nige would've done that.

However,the coaches that have set our style of play are still here (apart from JE), so why would we expect anything different? NP said repeatedly that he isn't a coach. I think we need a talented coach to get the best out of the squad.

This is spot on.

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

I would of still been pissed off at the time with his sacking but would of thought. Ok , fair enough . At least they’ve spoke the truth. I can get behind that . Unfortunately all they do is lie . It’s insulting that they think we’re really that stupid to not see through it. 

Exactly this. No honesty whatsoever in the whole episode. It stank of "we need to get rid of him now, how do we try and justify it?". I would have had more respect if they just said "we don't like Nige's personality and the way he operates so we are parting ways". Anyway we've got Tins running the show now, what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 3
Just now, steviestevieneville said:

You’ve completely contradicted yourself in the second paragraph by saying the club wants high press front foot football . We’ve 100% been high intense higher press under nige , after the first year or so  of getting rid of the players that wouldn’t suit it . To say otherwise is just wrong . He said in his first interview . To be a prem side you need power , pace & high intensity . He was doing that with no budget . For the club to come out after & say that’s how we want to play made me laugh . That’s what Pearson implemented . Funny how it’s taken those ******* idiots 25 years to finally see a way they want to play but sack the man implementing it.

on your first paragraph. This is what I mean about transparency . If they’d said.
Nigel has done a brilliant job in turning us around in what was a really difficult job . We’ve made mistakes that led to that & we couldn’t be more grateful for the hard work he’s put in. However we feel it’s time to move onto the next stage of our development . 

I don’t think I contradict myself at all. Our press is slow and inaffective. Maybe you can find numbers that say it is good but the eye test is what I go by. Teams aren’t afraid of us pressing. It looks reactive not proactive. Often don’t close down until a pass is made. No anticipation. James makes it really hard to press as well with him being quite immobile. Once teams beat the front 3 they fashion good chances. It isn’t organised at all imo. Thought SW played through it multiple times even with 10 men which was not very impressive. Think that is what they mean and I certainly agree. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Exactly this. No honesty whatsoever in the whole episode. It stank of "we need to get rid of him now, how do we try and justify it?". I would have had more respect if they just said "we don't like Nige's personality and the way he operates so we are parting ways". Anyway we've got Tins running the show now, what could possibly go wrong?

Just seen the merson bit about us on soccer Saturday & he’s spot on . Ooh everyone’s looking at Birmingham with Rooney , let’s get lampard in . 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

They aren’t going to come out and say that are they? There are things they should be transparent. Like if they are reluctant to take us to FFP limits that should be relayed to the fan base. Maybe they could have said NP done the job we asked of him and the club is now where we feel we need to make change but no one here would have been any happier with that imo. 

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

I think we are a couple of quality attacking players away from potentially being a top 6 side. If we had all of our defensive options available, we have a pretty decent base to work from.

Although we have 7 or 8 forward options, unfortunately they are not good enough.

Whilst Alex Scott is a sensational talent, i believe we miss Semenyo more.

Exactly. I don’t want to go over old ground but the team we’ve got is the result of the constraints placed on the old manager. The budget he had to work with was sufficient to produce a mid table team and no more 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think I contradict myself at all. Our press is slow and inaffective. Maybe you can find numbers that say it is good but the eye test is what I go by. Teams aren’t afraid of us pressing. It looks reactive not proactive. Often don’t close down until a pass is made. No anticipation. James makes it really hard to press as well with him being quite immobile. Once teams beat the front 3 they fashion good chances. It isn’t organised at all imo. Thought SW played through it multiple times even with 10 men which was not very impressive. Think that is what they mean and I certainly agree. 

Completely disagree , our press isnt slow at all. It’s all subjective but it’s not across the board . It depends who you’re playing . I’ll give you the Plymouth game . They play a high line & try to play out from the back. We’re 2-0 up in ten minutes forcing them into mistakes. Today , Wednesday let us have the ball . Completely different tactics . We’ve also been labelled a counter attacking team over the last year. You can’t counter attack if you don’t press the ball . Plus you don’t press everywhere because that leaves you open. You set traps &ypu can’t press high all game , it’s physically impossible 

• Like 1

Ansolute load of horse manure today. 3 points is 3 points and I bet Jon Lansdown is feeling chuffed with himself. Bottom of the table 10 men and we were terrible side to side and backwards football. 

I say sack the board!

Even annoying fans like the guy by me after i was quite rightly annoyed Bell didnt hit it sooner in the empty net, he commented people dont understand the game. The guy looked like he'd never even played football in his life, the fat sausage!

It won't be Lampards city and I wish fans and the radio would stop saying Lansdowns can do as they please because its their club. They invested into our club...doesn't make it theirs, its the fans club!!

Getting real fed up with all the behind the scenes nonsense holding us back. Get us another rich backer who invests in progress, he can take his bears back to the memorial ground. 

13 minutes ago, TheBigFatWurzel said:

Ansolute load of horse manure today. 3 points is 3 points and I bet Jon Lansdown is feeling chuffed with himself. Bottom of the table 10 men and we were terrible side to side and backwards football. 

I say sack the board!

Even annoying fans like the guy by me after i was quite rightly annoyed Bell didnt hit it sooner in the empty net, he commented people dont understand the game. The guy looked like he'd never even played football in his life, the fat sausage!

It won't be Lampards city and I wish fans and the radio would stop saying Lansdowns can do as they please because its their club. They invested into our club...doesn't make it theirs, its the fans club!!

Getting real fed up with all the behind the scenes nonsense holding us back. Get us another rich backer who invests in progress, he can take his bears back to the memorial ground. 

Fans like to think it’s the fans club, reality is it’s not. Zero influence on hiring and decision making, so I don’t know how you can make that claim. As much as we might want a different owner, it’s his club.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, UncleRed said:

Ok will do, after scanning through this thread I think I’m with the majority for once 😂👍🏾

The performance was as some have said ok , Knight , TGH , Tanner and others did well , not a big fan of O’Leary but two good saves , three points vital .

The problem with agreeing with the majority is god some of the people on here are the most most miserable  , moaning bunch on this planet , it’s been a crap week absolutely wanted Nige to stay , but it wasn’t dire or awful , it was average , for some everything is black or white, good or bad , nowhere in the middle .

• Like 6