IGNORED

A word or two from Oxford

Marina's Rolls Royce

12 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Indeed. Such is life. We are a fair few rungs up the proverbial football ladder than Oxford who as i said on a previous post haven’t played football at this level in almost 26 years..

They can say all they want about us being mediocre in the Championship  (which granted we have) but where the **** have they been the last 15-20 years? Bobbing around the fourth tier/ third tier and having a nice little stint in non-league (similar to our blue neighbours) all whilst getting at best no more than 8 k home gates..

And yet they have won a major trophy.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Yes but they won something a trophy unlike us.

And winning something in 1985 is in the forefront of Mannings mind no doubt.. Not sure where we are going with this. We are a bigger football club than them at this present time in every conceivable way. Yes they won a trophy in 1985, we also played in the toplight around that same time 👏

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Used to really enjoy going to Oxford. ( Except, I think, one game that was abandoned at half time for fog?) Old ground was authentic and atmospheric, although the club was too tight to print tickets so you had to roll up an hour+ in advance to be sure to get in. Now I think it’s another New Den in fields and next to a dual carriageway.

Went there many times back in the day, the last time with my Mrs for her to get a medical report for a compo claim............it's now a private clinic with a floor plaque in the waiting room demarking the center spot .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

And winning something in 1985 is in the forefront of Mannings mind no doubt.. Not sure where we are going with this. We are a bigger football club than them at this present time in every conceivable way. Yes they won a trophy in 1985, we also played in the toplight around that same time 👏

Just making the point that they have achieved more than us with obvious limited resources. It's obvious we're one of the biggest under achievers in English Football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Yes they did but compare that with our history.  While we were founder members of Div2,runner up in Div1,FA cup finalists,for many years us and Arsenal only league teams south of Birmingham. Not to mention Welsh cup winners,Anglo Scottish cup winners,most successful EFL trophy team. Ok the last few aren't major trophies but if the gas can still go on about the Watney Cup..... Meanwhile Oxford Utd were Headington Utd until 1960 and weren't a league team until '62.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the noise and comments from Oxford fans isn't because they love Manning. 

I think they are more worried about what he gets replaced with. As we have just seen from the list that bookies had for the City job, it wasn't exactly mouth watering was it. This will made worse if Manning brings any of his coaching team with him.

41 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I think a lot of the noise and comments from Oxford fans isn't because they love Manning. 

I think they are more worried about what he gets replaced with. As we have just seen from the list that bookies had for the City job, it wasn't exactly mouth watering was it. This will made worse if Manning brings any of his coaching team with him.

Let’s hope he brings one of those creative midfielder coaches that all teams seem to have except us 👀

I'm afraid its all part of the football food chain. We're higher up than them and although galling for them at the moment, its equally galling for us to see so much Bristol City talent ending up at Bournemouth.

If they're worried about their next manager they have every right to be especially with a certain barton63754 looking. 

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

The last time I went to Oxford.. around 69/70 ish? we got our asses kicked off their home end 5 minutes before ko and scattered to all parts of the ground.

Lost 2-0 as well I think.

Not a good day.

Yeh. My mate came back with a shiner and they stole his money.

Some of our lot were too cocky that day and got a nasty surprise.

31 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It is safe to say they are not a happy bunch over in Oxfordshire..

Manager/Coach - Liam Manning Departs | Page 133 | Yellows Forum

Ha ha! The one that made me laugh was the one “hoping he (Manning) has done his homework on Lansdown and his record with managers”.

The writer clearly hasn’t!

Whatever else you can say about Lansdown (and plenty have! ) he’s a track record of being pretty patient with managers as evidenced by how often we have the longest/second longest etc serving manager. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

It is safe to say they are not a happy bunch over in Oxfordshire..

Manager/Coach - Liam Manning Departs | Page 133 | Yellows Forum

There's been another salty 8 pages since then.

Reminds me of the Pikeys when their 10m player joined us for tuppence.

A lot of them don't understand how a buy out clause works either, just like the Pikeys.

21 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I hope that someone from our forum goes onto their forum and suggests that City will support their new manager in buying their best players and just leave them with the dregs. We already seem to have done this in the past and the manager would know who to buy.  They might find some repose by contemplating this....

Just for fun can we take Brannagan 😄

7 hours ago, 42nite said:

The last time I went to Oxford.. around 69/70 ish? we got our asses kicked off their home end 5 minutes before ko and scattered to all parts of the ground.

Lost 2-0 as well I think.

Not a good day.

Yes been there got the t shirt , mine was early 90s I think , mini bus load of us thought we would sneak in after downing a fair few flagons of Taunton dry on the way up , put it this way don’t think we got any where near the middle of the terrace 👊🥊💥💣 sussed out and given an almighty hiding , still feel the punches now , 

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha! The one that made me laugh was the one “hoping he (Manning) has done his homework on Lansdown and his record with managers”.

Whatever else you can say about Lansdown (and plenty have! ) he’s a track record of being pretty patient with managers as evidenced by how often we have the longest/second longest etc serving manager. 

I think that is by and large fair. Holden was really the only one binned after a shortish period. 

However with this guy all bets are off on that score. 

JL appears to be of the opinion we should be pushing top six. (Which I think we would have been with Pearson come the run in) this season. By that rationale the bloke could be judged as a success or failure sooner rather than later by many!

5 hours ago, italian dave said:

He’s particularly patient with head coaches more so than managers. His wallet is more open for HCs as well.

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I think that is by and large fair. Holden was really the only one binned after a shortish period. 

However with this guy all bets are off on that score. 

JL appears to be of the opinion we should be pushing top six. (Which I think we would have been with Pearson come the run in) this season. By that rationale the bloke could be judged as a success or failure sooner rather than later by many!

12 hours ago, milo1111 said:

He’s particularly patient with head coaches more so than managers. His wallet is more open for HCs as well.

When we talk about ‘the Lansdowns’, or a generic ‘Lansdown’, I think it’s generally been with the understanding that it’s Steve who’s the power behind the throne. I’m assuming that’s who you were thinking of as ‘he’ milo? But as your post reflects Redoxo it’s definitely Jon who’s fronted this one up.

My recollection is that it’s always been Steve who’s fronted up big decisions and events in the past. I can’t believe that he’s genuinely handed all the power and decision making to Jon. But maybe the fact that he wasn’t here to face the cameras is a reflection of his waning interest? Or it could have just been storm Ciaran?

I think Jon’s made some daft comments in that statement. Personally I’m not sure we are top 6 anyway, but even if we were, a time of transition changes that.  I put those daft comments down to either the general shocking state of the comms at Ashton Gate at the moment, or the fact that the real reasons (right or wrong) were things they couldn’t talk about publicly (Pearson’s health, broken relationships) so they just had to bullshit about something else. Or both.

It’s conceivable that Jon is now the real power broker and that he doesn’t share his father’s patience, means what he said about expecting top 6, and we’re about to become the new Watford! More likely, Steve still makes the calls and the decisions and he’ll have more realistic expectations, as he always has had.

Or they’ll find a buyer and then who knows?!!!

• Like 3

On 07/11/2023 at 10:06, Super said:

I mean we won a double in 14/15 season, I wouldn't describe it as a major trophy but you could call that far more recent than Oxford's Cup win that happened when I was 5 years old and I'm no spring chicken.

I would say though that as far as how big clubs are, if winning a cup long ago counts then Grimsby must be bigger than us as they won a lot of trophies and the top flight twice. Therefore that League Two side, who haven't been in the second their since 03/04, must be bigger than us right? I would concede "more historic", but not a chance they are a bigger club than us in modern football.

23 hours ago, redkev said:

And rovers ,         And now us by the sounds of things 😂😂😂

They’ve always hated us - Swindon are their main rivals though, partly due to location but mainly due to the ‘car wars’ British Leyland industrial strikes in the 1970s (similar to the ‘dock wars’ between Portsmouth and Southampton).

Some of you may remember the Hartcliffe Riots back in the early 90s, where cars, shops and houses were set on fire - the majority of arrests were people who bussed in from Oxford to have a pop. I remember being astounded at the time.

When people think of Oxford, we tend to think of highly educated dons, swishing down gothic corridors in their gowns, talking like they did on Pathe newsreels - or Inspector Morse esq pretty pubs and villages - but in fact Oxford plays host to one of THE most violent and crime ridden estates in the UK…

https://crimerate.co.uk/oxfordshire/blackbird-leys
They have some very unpleasant people amongst their fan base  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, italian dave said:

When we talk about ‘the Lansdowns’, or a generic ‘Lansdown’, I think it’s generally been with the understanding that it’s Steve who’s the power behind the throne. I’m assuming that’s who you were thinking of as ‘he’ milo? But as your post reflects Redoxo it’s definitely Jon who’s fronted this one up.

My recollection is that it’s always been Steve who’s fronted up big decisions and events in the past. I can’t believe that he’s genuinely handed all the power and decision making to Jon. But maybe the fact that he wasn’t here to face the cameras is a reflection of his waning interest? Or it could have just been storm Ciaran?

I think Jon’s made some daft comments in that statement. Personally I’m not sure we are top 6 anyway, but even if we were, a time of transition changes that.  I put those daft comments down to either the general shocking state of the comms at Ashton Gate at the moment, or the fact that the real reasons (right or wrong) were things they couldn’t talk about publicly (Pearson’s health, broken relationships) so they just had to bullshit about something else. Or both.

It’s conceivable that Jon is now the real power broker and that he doesn’t share his father’s patience, means what he said about expecting top 6, and we’re about to become the new Watford! More likely, Steve still makes the calls and the decisions and he’ll have more realistic expectations, as he always has had.

Or they’ll find a buyer and then who knows?!!!

We are gonna find out.  Steve seems to have zoned-out.

• Like 1