IGNORED

A word or two from Oxford

Marina's Rolls Royce

12 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

They’ve always hated us - Swindon are their main rivals though, partly due to location but mainly due to the ‘car wars’ British Leyland industrial strikes in the 1970s (similar to the ‘dock wars’ between Portsmouth and Southampton).

Some of you may remember the Hartcliffe Riots back in the early 90s, where cars, shops and houses were set on fire - the majority of arrests were people who bussed in from Oxford to have a pop. I remember being astounded at the time.

When people think of Oxford, we tend to think of highly educated dons, swishing down gothic corridors in their gowns, talking like they did on Pathe newsreels - or Inspector Morse esq pretty pubs and villages - but in fact Oxford plays host to one of THE most violent and crime ridden estates in the UK…

https://crimerate.co.uk/oxfordshire/blackbird-leys
They have some very unpleasant people amongst their fan base  

I’m always amazed that more people have literally no idea about this side of Oxford (not on here necessarily, just in general) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

When we talk about ‘the Lansdowns’, or a generic ‘Lansdown’, I think it’s generally been with the understanding that it’s Steve who’s the power behind the throne. I’m assuming that’s who you were thinking of as ‘he’ milo? But as your post reflects Redoxo it’s definitely Jon who’s fronted this one up.

My recollection is that it’s always been Steve who’s fronted up big decisions and events in the past. I can’t believe that he’s genuinely handed all the power and decision making to Jon. But maybe the fact that he wasn’t here to face the cameras is a reflection of his waning interest? Or it could have just been storm Ciaran?

I think Jon’s made some daft comments in that statement. Personally I’m not sure we are top 6 anyway, but even if we were, a time of transition changes that.  I put those daft comments down to either the general shocking state of the comms at Ashton Gate at the moment, or the fact that the real reasons (right or wrong) were things they couldn’t talk about publicly (Pearson’s health, broken relationships) so they just had to bullshit about something else. Or both.

It’s conceivable that Jon is now the real power broker and that he doesn’t share his father’s patience, means what he said about expecting top 6, and we’re about to become the new Watford! More likely, Steve still makes the calls and the decisions and he’ll have more realistic expectations, as he always has had.

Or they’ll find a buyer and then who knows?!!!

It really feels like SL is now tired of the Bristol City project and is desperate to transfer as much as possible over to his son.  I can’t imagine any major decisions are made without JL consulting with SL though, as it’s obviously SL’s investment at stake.

I’ll venture that given SL’s apparent lack of interest and the right pig’s ear his son has made of the NP debacle, he may decide that enough is enough and he lowers his asking price to get the club sold now.

It’s been speculated that SL’s aim is to hit the Prem, so the maximum sale price can be achieved.  I’d say that, in spite of what Jon said, SL surely couldn’t be daft enough to believe this could be achieved without very serious investment in this squad?

Added to that, during the last couple of weeks, Jon has done everything possible to prove he’d struggle to run a bath, let alone be capable of leading this football club to the Premiership.

Given that SL is such an experienced and hardened financier, he may just resign himself to City not returning as much of his investment as he’d originally hoped for.  He may be thinking that at his age, it just isn’t worth the hassle any more and get out sooner, rather than wait and hope for the best price.

• Facepalm 1

I thought amongst many things that what has become blatantly obvious in recent months or I’d say recent years is that SL has ‘had enough’ / lost interest or will and that unable to find a buyer either Jon has said ‘Let me sort it , I’ll do it’ or , I’d suggest more likely has been left carrying the main decision making and day to day running with dad more interested in other projects.

That leaves Jon heavily reliant on any expertise around him which I’d suggest he would and would know he desperately needs , and from a football perspective , which is what we all have as our %99 interest , suddenly one man has grown very powerful..... and I don’t mean Liam Manning

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It seems like they take it in turns making appointments these days 🤣 

LJ - SL

DH - JL

NP - SL

LM - JL

Dunno about that, but anyone notice JL’s answer to involvement on this appointment and perhaps trying to distance himself from Holden’s?  He basically said this is the most he’s been involved.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dunno about that, but anyone notice JL’s answer to involvement on this appointment and perhaps trying to distance himself from Holden’s?  He basically said this is the most he’s been involved.

And that in itself I also found out a little eyebrow raising, I always felt (and possibly I'm misreading the situation, I don't have a ton to base this on) one of the reasons SL was/is looking to sell was that Junior wasn't too keen in taking over the club long term and is more interested in other projects. Feel like I remember seeing some discourse about this at the time Fever Pitch was becoming a thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

And that in itself I also found out a little eyebrow raising, I always felt (and possibly I'm misreading the situation, I don't have a ton to base this on) one of the reasons SL was/is looking to sell was that Junior wasn't too keen in taking over the club long term and is more interested in other projects. Feel like I remember seeing some discourse about this at the time Fever Pitch was becoming a thing.

Yes, indeed.  Wonder if he’s changed tack and realised he wants to do something off his own back.  That’s not meant to be rude, perhaps it’s dawned on him that there is more to life.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, indeed.  Wonder if he’s changed tack and realised he wants to do something off his own back.  That’s not meant to be rude, perhaps it’s dawned on him that there is more to life.

Yes, and something he's cut out for and is good atm as well - and that isn't meant to be a jibe, either. He might actually be a lot happier - and I dare say so would many of us. 

4 minutes ago, RobinTuga said:

I certainly remember hearing this too, that basically JL had decided he wasn't interested in taking over long term ownership of BCFC, as had presumably always been the plan.

But didn't JL counter a question last week asking if SL had lost his passion for the club - or similar - with 'no, but even if he had, I haven't.'

So perhaps things have changed again?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

My 1st car, unfortunately, was a 1974 Morris Marina.

No one who was connected to the terrible BL cars of that era deserves my sympathy.

I had a Triumph TR7 convertible. Loved it - but it was a rustbucket. It was as much a hobby for me back then at 21 as it was a form of transportation. 

16 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I had a Triumph TR7 convertible. Loved it - but it was a rustbucket. It was as much a hobby for me back then at 21 as it was a form of transportation. 

My Marina cost me a fortune in filler. I tried to tell myself it was worth it as some form of homage to the Dolman family but that theory didn't work any better than the car.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

My Marina cost me a fortune in filler. I tried to tell myself it was worth it as some form of homage to the Dolman family but that theory didn't work any better than the car.

Never had the misfortune of owning a Morris Marina thankfully, but remember driving one a couple of times.  

Worst gearshift I’ve ever experienced and trying to select gears was like stirring a spoon in a bowl of lumpy custard.  There was absolutely no indication if it had gone into gear or not and that was a fairly new car!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobinTuga said:

He is absolutely very into Basketball. I think the new arena (home of The Flyers) will be of much more interest to him. Football seems a sideline that he has just ended up with so to speak.

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

He is absolutely very into Basketball. I think the new arena (home of The Flyers) will be of much more interest to him. Football seems a sideline that he has just ended up with so to speak.

I thought Jon was the City supporter and Dad got involved because of that. 

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Without wishing to hijack the thread; in the 1950s a third of the world’s motor vehicles were manufactured here in the United Kingdom. One in 3 cars worldwide were British. That’s incredible. 
Then in the 1970s Nationalisation and Leyland ruined the reputation of all their brands - and finally the industry was broken up and sold off to foreign buyers during and just after the Thatcher years. I don’t believe there is now a single British-owned car manufacturer left. 
What a demise!!!

Back to football - at least back in the 1970s you could drive your Marina, Metro, Maxi or Allegro to Ashton Gate to see top flight football - then watch an episode of The Sweeney to end the evening… it wasn’t all bad!!

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Make no mistake, there's only one person behind all the big decisions and overseeing everything.

And it's not Jon

Maybe back in the day, as a child. But I guess it's pretty different for him now. With power comes responsibility as they say.

Just now, RedM said:

Maybe back in the day, as a child. But I guess it's pretty different for him now. With power comes responsibility as they say.

When SL was at Senior Reds in Feb it was quite clear that it was his empire (my word not his) and he was the decision maker. Obviously though advised by others, and no doubt JL has his ear on footballing matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

.........Back to football - at least back in the 1970s you could drive your Marina, Metro, Maxi or Allegro to Ashton Gate to see top flight football - then watch an episode of The Sweeney to end the evening… it wasn’t all bad!!

The Sweeney was on TV on Monday nights at 9pm. The strict deal was that if I finished my maths homework before 9pm I was allowed to watch it as it was one of my favourite programs.

If you were getting home to watch it from football then it is perfectly possible that it took you 2 days to get home because you had broken down in said Leyland car!!

I would watch The Sweeney and beg my Dad to get a Ford Granada, cos that is what Regan had and he was cool.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

Manning confirmed he’s a complete PoS.  He didn’t have the balls to say goodbye to the players, the guys that through their hard work, got him a Championship role.

What a ****.

Won’t have had a chance yet.  If he told them at training it would’ve been all over the media.  Im sure he will at some point.  

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

More to life than city - drugs , drink , anxiety , depression, divorce that all comes with watching city 

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

The Sweeney was on TV on Monday nights at 9pm. The strict deal was that if I finished my maths homework before 9pm I was allowed to watch it as it was one of my favourite programs.

If you were getting home to watch it from football then it is perfectly possible that it took you 2 days to get home because you had broken down in said Leyland car!!

I would watch The Sweeney and beg my Dad to get a Ford Granada, cos that is what Regan had and he was cool.

You’re right - on reflection I don’t remember Saturday evening TV being much unless you were into the American series. Magnum PI? Hawaii 5-0?
Starsky and Hutch were Saturday evenings I believe - which I used to enjoy. 

Was it a Granada or a Consul? They were the same (really cool) shape and I’d love to have one of either model now. 

Sorry I am ruining the thread with my reminiscing…..

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

......Was it a Granada or a Consul? They were the same (really cool) shape and I’d love to have one of either model now. 

Sorry I am ruining the thread with my reminiscing…..

Just checked, you're right, it was a Consul 3 litre GT.

In a poor attempt to get this football related, I think Jack Regan would have made a great manager, proper hair dryer at half time even if winning.

He should have managed Oxford after retiring as Inspector Morse.

There you go, back on topic.

• Haha 2