IGNORED

Still getting away with it.

NSFF

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Hold on .....

Surely you must work for Bristol Sport?  

Or are you just a new OTIB poster with a genuine opinion that should be taken at face value?

I totally disagree with you but welcome to OTIB.

If he does, he's just got himself the sack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

People saying they're not excited, underwhelmed etc etc are not anti Manning.

They're anti the bullsh1t Lansdown Junior has come out with, they're taking the piss out of the cowardly crap our Short Trousers primary school chairman has come out with to justify the sacking of a bloke I bet he didn't dismiss face to face.

(If he did, good luck Bolloms with dry cleaning his underpants)

This is exactly right, I’d dearly dearly love to be wrong but past experience suggests otherwise, we all want City to win every week who ever is in charge be it a manager a coach or a director of football.

Agree though imagine getting the sack from a man who took 2 years to design a new club badge …. 

• Like 2

I don’t know why anyone is surprised to learn he was sacked by MK Dons if they bother to read his CV . Interesting that one of the causes was the return of higher division loan players which Nige avoided.As for the accusations of being a ‘ yes ‘ man in his statement while at that club he does seem to praise all the previous owners he had worked for. However , we are where we are, and let’s hope he has the magic ingredient to get us in the Prem. so good luck Liam!

25 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Our owner also appointed Pearson, so are you claiming Pearson is a yes man?

Or is this you being biased because of Manning's age?

Fairly obvious that it's neither. But I think historically it's clear that he's more comfortable with a sycophant in charge.

Just now, BrizzleRed said:

There was a tough and dirty job Lansdown needed doing and NP was the best person available for that job.  TRUE

Lansdown couldn’t wait to bin him after the job was done though, could he?! FALSE

It's not so black and white. If you genuinely think it's a case of "job done" please explain fully.

1 hour ago, NSFF said:

After getting rid of Jordan (2nd time around) Wilson and now Pearson, it’s obvious that the one footed wonder certainly has the ear of the chairman….. 

Poaching a yes man manger of a team in the division below certainly sums the club.

Sale your best players with no investment play the youth half the wage bill what else could have Pearson done to get another contract? 

What has happened to Pearson has nothing to do with Manning. So rubbishing him as a yes man seems totally unfair mud slinging and wrong. He looks a good signing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanDimz said:

Where's this claim comes from? Do you personally know something the rest of us don't? How do you know he'a a 'yes' man?

Get with the programme! If he thinks the same way and wants the same things he's a yes man, if he says or does something different it's because the club is a shambles and the backroom staff are like the cast of an Agatha Christie play.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When Steve asked if he wanted the job Manning replied "yes".

Q.E.D.

Just noticed @Street red posted the same previously.

Note to self: read the thread before posting!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It's not so black and white. If you genuinely think it's a case of "job done" please explain fully.

I strongly suspect that helping us get back onto a steady financial footing, whilst keeping us in the Championship was Lansdown’s main aim for NP.  

Seems like we’ve made big strides on that front, so he was then binned at the earliest opportunity.

He clearly isn’t a Lansdown type manager, so that’s the only reason I can find for him initially being employed and would also explain the timing and real reason for his sacking.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

What evidence do you have that Mamming is a yes man then?

Are you struggling with this? I know nothing about this guy, but like many on here I've witnessed Lansdown struggling with strong personalities over the years, his knee jerk reaction being to bring in a manager he can control. Therefore I wait to be pleasantly surprised. But I doubt I will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Just go on his Wikipedia page and see his playing career. Easier than asking us! 

My sincere apologies for having the audacity to ask you guys a question. I should of course referred to that well know reliable info site before bothering anyone. Anyway just checked as per your suggestion and found out what an impressive playing CV he has. Amongst others he has played for the following:- Long Melford, Leiston, Selfoss and Wroxham. We are truly blessed….

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Are you struggling with this? I know nothing about this guy, but like many on here I've witnessed Lansdown struggling with strong personalities over the years, his knee jerk reaction being to bring in a manager he can control. Therefore I wait to be pleasantly surprised. But I doubt I will be.

If you know nothing about him, then it's wrong for you to assert that he is a yes man.

It's a simple as that.

Any claim made requires evidence to back it up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

My sincere apologies for having the audacity to ask you guys a question. I should of course referred to that well know reliable info site before bothering anyone. Anyway just checked as per your suggestion and found out what an impressive playing CV he has. Amongst others he has played for the following:- Long Melford, Leiston, Selfoss and Wroxham. We are truly blessed….

Arsene Wenger played for Mutzig, Mulhouse and ASPV Strasbourg 

Didn't seem to harm him much that he didn't have a stellar playing career did it?

What about Mourinho who played for giants such as Sesimbra and Comercio e Industria?

I'm not suggesting Manning will be on the level of either of those, but the playing career of someone is frankly irrelevant to how good they might be as a coach or a manager.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

I strongly suspect that helping us get back onto a steady financial footing, whilst keeping us in the Championship was Lansdown’s main aim for NP.  

Seems like we’ve made big strides on that front, so he was then binned at the earliest opportunity.

He clearly isn’t a Lansdown type manager, so that’s the only reason I can find for him initially being employed and would also explain the timing and real reason for his sacking.

I agree with the first highlighted statement. And ,tbf, SL succeeded in his aim so maybe not so clueless as his critics believe.

The second bit re his sacking is more murky and I don't agree that it was definitely "the real reason". IMO- there is more about NP's health issues that will emerge . He can't have been sacked on recent results alone. However he held the record for some of the worst records including only just beating Sunderland to not have the longest record of no home wins.

I remember ( just now) walking out through  the Dolman with my sons singing " we won at home (etc)" - it was genuinely uplifting. In hindsight we just won a home match which really shouldn't be a cup final feeling. 

Nigel didn't give me any real moments thatI'll treasure or remember.

Johnson snr did

Cotterill did and is the best ever

Johnson Jnr gave me the best night of my football life v Man U. Who'd have thought at the age of almost 50, I'd invade the pitch like I did to hug Rob Newman on the final match of the season v Brentford ( 3-1 or 4-1??)

The only thing I'll ever remember about an NP game is winning at home after a million years.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A question for anyone has watched his live press conference - 

do you think he comes across as a yes man?

(I don’t)

He certainly appears confident in his own ability, without seeming arrogant and doesn’t come across as passive, so certainly positive signs.

Hopefully he’s his own man and just knows the right things to say at an interview to get the job.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see how things develop if he’s willing to stand up and fight his corner.

7 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Apologies if you answered something like this earlier in the thread, but what did you think of his response to your question?

I wanted to ask a question that wasn’t about systems and could be answered by the cliche - forward-thinking, high-pressing, and I wanted to find out what he thought about what was already here.

I thought it was a good answer, didn’t feel like he had a script prepared.

I liked some of his answers to James Piercy, not afraid to clarify the question.  I think it is clear that he will repetitively use certain phrases (Club interview, written press interview, and BBCRB interview), but I think these are where we will see his core principles…and subsequently we can invaluable performance against these.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wanted to ask a question that wasn’t about systems and could be answered by the cliche - forward-thinking, high-pressing, and I wanted to find out what he thought about what was already here.

I thought it was a good answer, didn’t feel like he had a script prepared.

I liked some of his answers to James Piercy, not afraid to clarify the question.  I think it is clear that he will repetitively use certain phrases (Club interview, written press interview, and BBCRB interview), but I think these are where we will see his core principles…and subsequently we can invaluable performance against these.

I half listened to the interview when I was on a scooter down to work, but phased in and out of paying attention to it

Came across well in the bits where I was listening, will give it another listen in the morning when I'm more awake

11 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Arsene Wenger played for Mutzig, Mulhouse and ASPV Strasbourg 

Didn't seem to harm him much that he didn't have a stellar playing career did it?

What about Mourinho who played for giants such as Sesimbra and Comercio e Industria?

I'm not suggesting Manning will be on the level of either of those, but the playing career of someone is frankly irrelevant to how good they might be as a coach or a manager.

To be fair those are 2 extreme examples but it’s certainly the case that some great players have been crap managers and vice versa. 
it just worries me that this guy also has a very unimpressive coaching/managerial career thus far. His success effectively equates to a couple of good months at Oxford. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I agree with the first highlighted statement. And ,tbf, SL succeeded in his aim so maybe not so clueless as his critics believe.

The second bit re his sacking is more murky and I don't agree that it was definitely "the real reason". IMO- there is more about NP's health issues that will emerge . He can't have been sacked on recent results alone. However he held the record for some of the worst records including only just beating Sunderland to not have the longest record of no home wins.

I remember ( just now) walking out through  the Dolman with my sons singing " we won at home (etc)" - it was genuinely uplifting. In hindsight we just won a home match which really shouldn't be a cup final feeling. 

Nigel didn't give me any real moments thatI'll treasure or remember.

Johnson snr did

Cotterill did and is the best ever

Johnson Jnr gave me the best night of my football life v Man U. Who'd have thought at the age of almost 50, I'd invade the pitch like I did to hug Rob Newman on the final match of the season v Brentford ( 3-1 or 4-1??)

The only thing I'll ever remember about an NP game is winning at home after a million years.

Some interesting points, though I’d have to say, if it was due to his health, why couldn’t they have agreed a severance and pay up the remainder of his contract?  They will have to do that anyway and at least it would have avoided the bitterness at his dismissal.

Yes, the football has been dull, but to me, it’s been survival tactics, mainly due to an unbalanced squad for much of his time here, so I didn’t expect much more.

Looking at results, team spirit and general attitude of supporters, the timing of him going was all wrong.  It’s a subject that’s been done to death now, but looking at it as a fan, he really should have been given enough time to at least show what he could do with closer to his full squad.

In the end though, it’s clear Lansdown wasn’t offering him an extended contract, so it just boils down to who’s at fault for that.

• Like 1