IGNORED

How many grounds....

Miah Dennehy

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Rovers never been in top flight tho, and spent a lot of time in the third and fourth tiers, so I'd have thought the 92 would be tricky to complete. The likes of Everton and Arsenal, for example, unless they had them in the cups. 

True, but as I said I've done over 100 with City and the only ones I got to in the old Div 1 were Derby , QPR and Coventry .
Just looked and I've done 55% of the Prem apparently .
60 of the 92 which doesn't include many of the newer teams promoted to the League , which Miah would have done. 
I think it takes real commitment , and doing it with that lot he should be committed .

• Haha 1

I’d advise everyone to get Futbology. It’s a great app & helps you keep track of all the games you’ve been to. 

Currently on 67/92. I’ve lost a lot of interest in doing away games since lockdown, started watching my local non league team a lot more so I’ve stagnated around the mid 60’s for a while.

IMG_1371.png

IMG_1372.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

You sure Miah? iirc the pitch etc has been turned 90 degrees. Consequently I'd say that's a new stadium.

I think it all gets a bit too nuanced when you get into that level of detail. Bournemouth did the same, I think. Wolves may not have rotated the pitch but they moved it quite a lot! Where do you draw the line?

For me it’s about the same location. But there might be a definition out there somewhere - probably the 92 club?

• Like 1

Here goes.

Football League clubs at time of visit to see City playing: 78, from all four divisions

Of those grounds I also saw matches not involving City at 20 of them.

City Cup matches at Wembley and Cardiff

Scotland, none involving City : 9

Overseas stadiums to see matches, International and domestic league:

Berlin, Cardiff, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon.

I won't be doing any more away matches as I find distance driving very tiring. Just going to Ashton Gate and I'm asleep in the chair for the evening. I'll still try to see one rugby international per season at Cardiff as I get a train there and back.

I've always enjoyed going to see any match and meeting the home fans even at Millwall. I remember a trip to Barnsley and their fans were brilliant hosts in the bar, to one of ours who was at the last one of the 92.

And being able to see some of the great players of the world.

Bobby Charlton demolishing Wales at Cardiff, Di Stefano, Eusebio and Puskas at Wembley, the double winners of 1961, Spurs, slaughtering Gornik of Poland 8-1 in their first home European cup match. And three German world cup winners for Inter Milan at Villa Park.

Last evening I saw Alex Stepney on TV at Charlton's funeral and remembered seeing him at Ashton Gate for Millwall when the whole crowd clapped him off the pitch for a truly magnificent display of goalkeeping. A few months later, Man U bought him.

I leave the best until last. I saw Atyeo's first and last games for City and hundreds in between. My hero as a footballer and a person.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 4
  • Robin 7

I’d never really thought of it before, but the number of ground changes now makes a big difference. I’ve seen City play 15 clubs at two different grounds and 3 clubs at three different grounds.

@Miah Dennehy ‘s record is impressive none the less. And although we’ve all rightly pointed out that they have the benefit of a spell in non league, there’s another equally significant issue that is also to be celebrated and that no-one’s yet mentioned - they’ve never been in the top tier. I was lucky enough to see City in the first division days and ticked off quite a few grounds there.

I’ve seen City at 83 of the 92 current league clubs. But adding in those no longer in the league, 2/3 grounds, Wembley etc, that goes up to 110 grounds.

Edit: and I forgot Pisa! 111. Miah doesn’t have the benefit of European competition either 😂😂😂

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

concur that Futbology is a great app.

I've done 53 grounds total (although 24 of those not City related, due to non league ground hopping etc). Really handy statistical breakdown of how many times you've seen each team, how many wins/goals etc.... interesting but also a tad depressing...

• Like 2

Of the current 92 I've seen City at 82. I include the Tottenham Hotspur stadium because although it's been renamed, rebuilt and enlarged it's still at the White Hart Lane site. Spurs have not moved, not even across the road like Leicester City. 

I've yet to add up the ex league grounds, overseas grounds on tour and non league grounds for clubs now further down the pyramid, in fa cups and community matches but it's probably going to top out between 120-130.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Of the current 92 I've seen City at 82. I include the Tottenham Hotspur stadium because although it's been renamed, rebuilt and enlarged it's still at the White Hart Lane site. Spurs have not moved, not even across the road like Leicester City. 

I've yet to add up the ex league grounds, overseas grounds on tour and non league grounds for clubs now further down the pyramid, in fa cups and community matches but it's probably going to top out between 120-130.

Unless I'm missing a pre-season friendly at Newport or Oxford, I thought 81 was the maximum possible at present, unless anyone managed to sneak in to the behind-closed-doors game we played at Brentford's new stadium during the last Covid affected season? Either way, a very impressive total given it's been a long time since we played at some of the current 92 (e.g. Lincoln, Exeter).

The 11 of the current 92 that I don't think we've played at (but stand to be corrected):

West Ham, Brentford*, Oxford, Barrow, Morecambe, Accrington, AFC Wimbledon, Harrogate, Salford, Newport, Sutton Utd. 

* We have played at Brentford but no fans were at the game.

3 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Unless I'm missing a pre-season friendly at Newport or Oxford, I thought 81 was the maximum possible at present, unless anyone managed to sneak in to the behind-closed-doors game we played at Brentford's new stadium during the last Covid affected season? Either way, a very impressive total given it's been a long time since we played at some of the current 92 (e.g. Lincoln, Exeter).

The 11 of the current 92 that I don't think we've played at (but stand to be corrected):

West Ham, Brentford*, Oxford, Barrow, Morecambe, Accrington, AFC Wimbledon, Harrogate, Salford, Newport, Sutton Utd. 

For my part - and I suspect others - when I say “of the current 92”, I’m meaning clubs, not current grounds as well. Given that the thread is about old and new grounds, I’m counting, for example, West Ham, Brentford, Oxford - even though I saw City play them at an old ground. 

I've done 60 of the 92 at their present grounds.

There's another 5 current league clubs I've been to old grounds only.

I think I'm at 89 grounds to watch city play, I scanned the tables down to national league north and south, I'd forgotten bury and rushden until this thread but did remember kingstonian. I'm not sure how kingstonians ground would sit with the technicalities of the 92 when I saw city play there against kingstonian but afc wimbledon were using it whilst in the league, all a bit irrelevant now as they have a new ground now.

24 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Arsenal too I think?

28 minutes ago, North London Red said:

You're right in terms of current grounds and I've counted wrong and should read 79, not just West Ham's London Stadium which should belong to Leyton Orient but the Emirates and Old Trafford which I kept missing. Of course I have been to the Boleyn Ground, Highbury, Griffin Park and the Manor among the grounds that are no more. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

You're right in terms of current grounds and I've counted wrong and should read 80, not just West Ham's London Stadium which should belong to Leyton Orient but Old Trafford which I kept missing. Of course I have been to the Boleyn Ground, Griffin Park and the Manor for some of the grounds that are no more. 

It's a great effort either way! 

I've seen City at 71 of the current 92 grounds, at 11 clubs who are currently non-league, at 10 former grounds of current 92 clubs, and at Wembley and the Millennium, which I think gives me a total of 94 different grounds with City (counting old and new Wembley as one ground instead of two). 

Have done a further 9 of the current 92 grounds either with England or as a neutral, so need to tick off 12 more to complete the current 92.

Haven't worked out the overseas ones but have seen England in 41 different countries so far.  

Thinking about this, has there been the opportunity to watch City play the same club at more than 4 grounds,  Coventry have played at Highfield Road, Northampton , Birmingham, and the Ricoh (or whatever it's called now) and as these moves were fairly recent City fans may well have seen City at all 4 playing Coventry (I've only seen 3). Similarly Brighton have played City at The Goldstone, Priestfield Gillingham, Withdean, Amex.

I can't think of a club we've played at 5 grounds.

Edit: I checked and Coventry also played just  1  EFL cup match at Burton's Pirelli Stadium due to an unsafe pitch....against Bristol City. I'd forgotten that. So someone may indeed have covered all 5 venues.

Edited by CodeRed

8 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Thinking about this, has there been the opportunity to watch City play the same club at more than 4 grounds,  Coventry have played at Highfield Road, Northampton , Birmingham, and the Ricoh (or whatever it's called now) and as these moves were fairly recent City fans may well have seen City at all 4 playing Coventry (I've only seen 3). Similarly Brighton have played City at The Goldstone, Priestfield Gillingham, Withdean, Amex.

Was the Coventry game at St Andrews during the covid period when we couldn't go? I can't think why else I'd have missed that. If so, unlikely many will have managed all 4!!

11 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

When did we play Brighton at the Priestfield? I remember them playing there - but can't remember a game against City. 

17 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Edit: I checked and Coventry also played just  1  EFL cup match at Burton's Pirelli Stadium due to an unsafe pitch....against Bristol City. I'd forgotten that. So someone may indeed have covered all 5 venues.

I know I haven't seen City play Coventry at St Andrews but went to Highfield Rd twice including the 2-2 that kept us in Div 1, the ridiculous defeat at Northampton, the League Cup victory at Burton, and the Ricoh numerous times, so 4 out of the 5. 

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’d never really thought of it before, but the number of ground changes now makes a big difference. I’ve seen City play 15 clubs at two different grounds and 3 clubs at three different grounds.

@Miah Dennehy ‘s record is impressive none the less. And although we’ve all rightly pointed out that they have the benefit of a spell in non league, there’s another equally significant issue that is also to be celebrated and that no-one’s yet mentioned - they’ve never been in the top tier. I was lucky enough to see City in the first division days and ticked off quite a few grounds there.

I’ve seen City at 83 of the 92 current league clubs. But adding in those no longer in the league, 2/3 grounds, Wembley etc, that goes up to 110 grounds.

Edit: and I forgot Pisa! 111. Miah doesn’t have the benefit of European competition either 😂😂😂

That's where you're wrong! Isle of Man tournament gave me 2 new ones with Rovers and a pre season at Ayr :)

That's european football in my book :)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

For my part - and I suspect others - when I say “of the current 92”, I’m meaning clubs, not current grounds as well. Given that the thread is about old and new grounds, I’m counting, for example, West Ham, Brentford, Oxford - even though I saw City play them at an old ground. 

In the world of groundhopping "the current 92" definitely refers to grounds not clubs! 

I'm a divorcee, so I get the kids every other weekend (and they aren't that interested in football) so that plus the fact I work a lot of weekends and have to be away from home for some of it, means my away match attendance is paltry.  Also, I rather like Mrs R, so spending a weekend cuddled up to her, rather than being with a bunch of blokes in some grotty northern boozer, often appeals.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of 29 grounds I've been to, some of which were not with City. 

When the kids have gone to university, I aim to up my game.