IGNORED

How many grounds....

Miah Dennehy

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Ah, but European competition! And if you’re going Isle of Man tournament, I’ll up you Anglo Scottish Cup and Welsh Cup (albeit the latter a little before my time!).

Which would make City seasoned competitors at a European level 😁

We played in the Anglo.Scottish Cup too!

Older viewers will know why I try to forget it.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

@Miah Dennehy - just looking through your list above: did you never see the Rovers play a home game at the Gate? And wouldn’t that ‘count’ as another ground? We’re all counting Coventry at Northampton and Northampton! 

I did, but I can't count Ashton Gate twice, it's the same ground.

21 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

We played in the Anglo.Scottish Cup too!

Older viewers will know why I try to forget it.

I don’t think you ever played in “Europe” though, did you?!! Never got beyond the domestic mini league as I recall?

8 minutes ago, Flamin Groovy said:

Garlands header?

More like 6-1 I’d guess!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I did, but I can't count Ashton Gate twice, it's the same ground.

Does that mean we can’t count Northampton twice?!

Which is fine. I’ll count Twerton Park for a friendly v Bath City. And erase from my memory all the times we played you there. I’ve long wanted to do that. We were almost invariably dreadful when we played there! 

29 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

nope, good try, K think they were in the Conference when we played them and possibly more toward Walsall, Wolves as I remember it .

EDIT........just remembered, Hednesford Town !

I was there too. They served Beamish Red in the bar at half time. Ivan Testimanu was sitting in front of us reading a Rusdian newspaper.

In total 157 grounds I'm such a nerd for this stuff and love a groundhop.

Done 102 with City but that does include 2x Wembley's a Millenium Stadium. My numbers are similar to @North London Red's Managed to do 73 of the current 92 with City, 13 old Grounds (10 current league teams' old grounds) and 13 Other grounds from outside the current 92.

I'm pretty sure the only one of the current 92 I could have done but haven't is Exeter.

Only started in '96 and I've seen a healthy number of teams whistle past us form the depths of the 4th tier to the Prem and a few head the other way. I looked at the list of teams I've never seen us beat at their place too and it's depressing.

Did the 92 back in 2011 as well as @cider11 not quite as quirky as completing the same date I started it though!

I actually managed to "complete it" watching City at Brighton but have done so many over the years as a neutral. I'm only Brentford short of completing the set for the 4th/5th time - when there's only a couple to do it's great fun of an international weekend if you've got the time (although cost is creeping up - it's not exactly £10/15 to get into some grounds anymore!) 

Not counting Sixfields twice (saw us play Cov at Cobblers), also saw us at Hereford and Kidderminster in friendlies but haven't counted those - or Tavistock who I saw get spanked by QPR when we were passing through one summer.

Futbology app is awesome, you have to remember to check into grounds when you complete a division to get the badge thing though! If you care about that stuff...

• Like 5

Away days an extreme rarity for me these days (I’m getting into my late 70s) and it’s been that way for a long time, but I was keen when much younger and clocked up a few. Without getting bogged down in the nitpicking about what counts and what doesn’t, my total’s in the low forties.

Totting them up and reading the nostalgia trips of others brought back some good old memories. I think we should give ourselves a pat on the back: we’ve all put our shift in at some point in our history and God knows it hasn’t always been a bed of roses.

If I had to pick the outstanding moments, they would have to include the first ever appearance at Wembley under dear old Coops, the unforgettable (and controversial ) evening at Highfield Road, when City & Coventry effectively stopped playing to ensure both teams stayed up with a draw, and perhaps the sweetest moment of all, a victory at Chester, again under TC, to ensure promotion back to the third tier after the most catastrophic few years in the club’s history. What a day that was!

Edited by CliftonCliff
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Away days an extreme rarity for me these days (I’m getting into my late 70s) and it’s been that way for a long time, but I was keen when much younger and clocked up a few. Without getting bogged down in the nitpicking about what counts and what doesn’t, my total’s in the low forties.

Totting them up and reading the nostalgia trips of others brought back some good old memories. I think we should give ourselves a pat on the back: we’ve all put our shift in at some point in our history and God knows it hasn’t always been a bed of roses.

If I had to pick the outstanding moments, they would have to include the first ever appearance at Wembley under dear old Coops, the unforgettable (and controversial ) evening at Highfield Road, when City & Coventry effectively stopped playing to ensure both teams stayed up with a draw, and perhaps the sweetest moment of all, a victory at Chester, again under TC, to ensure promotion back to the third tier after the most catastrophic few years in the club’s history. What a day that was!

Agree with those 3 and would add the famous 1-0 victory at Elland Road in 1974, the 1-0 promotion night home to Portsmouth 1976, and 6-1 at Bradford in 2014 to gain promotion under Cotts.

• Like 1

I hadn’t counted for a while so this thread got me totting up again. 

Actually watching City in a competitive game (ie no friendlies), I’m currently on 98. 

Total grounds visited I’m on 136.

Of the current 92 (new/current grounds only) I’m on 67. 
74/92 if you count previous grounds too. 

So basically, 98 grounds for competitive City games. 
I’ll need a good cup fixture to be able to hit the magic 100 this season! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I'm the same as you at 80. I had a great father who spent his earnings on his two children rather than going to the pub every night. So my first away match was an FA Cup at St Andrews in 1951. We lost 2-0 and from then to now they rate as the club I most dislike as we hardly ever beat them.

Keep the faith @CliftonCliff

• Thanks 1