IGNORED

Saw this and thought of Nige...

Superjack

6 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Sorry... not sorry.

FB_IMG_1700427283569.jpg

You know I feel a bit for Manning. He knows he’s replacing a hugely popular manager on the basis of he being better placed to get us in the top six this season. 

His honeymoon period ends with the international weekend!

As I’ve said before his success is the supporters success! (his failure if that is what it is, is all Jon Lansdown’s) 

• Like 5

Still struggling to come to terms with it all. I hope Manning becomes our greatest manager of all time and with the longest contract in the championship he has certainly been installed with a level of trust never before seen. The problem he has to contend with is the expectation heaped on him by both J.L. & B.T. claims that this Pearson assembled squad is capable of top 6 seem delusional. A valid survey indicates we are the 3rd most over-achieving side only outperformed by Ipswich & Preston, likewise the bookies who seem to have the habit of getting things right have down graded us to 15th.

• Like 8

The international break will give him time to assess the squad and impress on them his ideas. In fairness to BT & JL that’s why they acted when they did, its no coincidence. However where it falls apart is the reason for getting rid of NP in the first place,  and the expectation therefore, that LM will have to do better to justify their decision to replace him. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I has hoped it would have passed by now, but I still find myself fairly ambivalent to it all now.

I have nothing against Manning at all, but  I fear the only thing that would allow me to get my mojo back would be new ownership. 

In fairness, genuine, tangible improvements to our performances and results would do it for me. The problem is - whilst I might be proved wrong - I think the team were performing close to their maximum under Pearson and I'm not convinced another manager will get that much more out of them. The only thing I'd say Manning has to work with is that our decision-making can be suspect at both ends of the pitch. If Manning improves that, maybe I'll start to understand the decision to make the change. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Maybe it’s because I’m still annoyed about Nige but my gut feeling can’t shake the feeling that LM is a bad fit / choice

I’m wishing him all the best and hope I’m wrong - I’m sure decent results will change everything 

I’m the same , but and big but there were a lot and I mean a lot of people who wanted Nige out at various points of his time here , I think that’s what makes it all the more puzzling there were times when things just weren’t working some really piss poor performances especially at the gate , all those last minute goals against , defensive frailties nearly every week , then back end of last season and the start of this you could actually see the titanic stop listing and starting to correct itself , still far from perfect but definitely light at the end of the tunnel , that’s what makes the sacking even more puzzling and frustrating.

really hopes it works for Manning & Hogg all of the emotion / frustration is totally none of their doing , however because of the circumstances of Niges sacking I think there is very little patience shown if things don’t go too well straight away , let’s be fair after the qpr draw away ( you will always take a point away on the road and with a clean sheet regardless the opposition ) the knives were half coming even then , god help 2 defeats on the bounce coming up  Boro & saints 2 very loseable games

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have nothing against Manning at all, but  I fear the only thing that would allow me to get my mojo back would be new ownership. 

We all have to give Manning a chance and one benefiting is that he’s inherited is a good squad made up of youth and experience and a club that’s far healthier than when Nige was appointed.

Can Manning get a better tune out of the squad than Nige did?

Only time will tell.

• Haha 1

I has hoped it would have passed by now, but I still find myself fairly ambivalent to it all now.

Perfectly summed up and how I’m feeling. 

I’m still bitter over it. Almost like an ex dumping me for a new man out of nowhere.

It’s no disrespect to Manning either intentionally. It’s such a big pair of shoes to fill. The only way I would feel won over is a top 6 finish now. 

• Like 2

I’m aligned with bits of the 3 posts above from @LondonBristolian, @redkev, and @The Coach.

From a club appointment perspective, LM will be getting time, whereas I think there are a number of fans who are gonna be very impatient.

On the flipside, there are a number of fans who wanted Nige out who are happy to see LM in.

So OTIB is gonna be fun over the coming weeks.

For me, cards on the table, I think he needs to be keeping us “in-touch” with the PO group, so 4 to 6 points off 6th at the end of the January window as the “met my expectations”.  Of course if he does better, great, that is what the powers that be have messaged.  But if he has us falling further away, the redemption (my soft expectation) will be a noticeable uplift in the playing style (not that I was unhappy with how we were playing).  Thats not to say I’ll be saying “Manning out”, far from it, but there will be some questions of those above.

• Like 3

I too want Liam Manning to succeed and agree that only a top six position is going to satisfy my feeling that the club made a bad decision to let Nigel go.

That said, none of us know what goes on behind the scenes, what Nigel was demanding, what he said or what his general state of health is.

Let's all support the new guy, but he does have big shoes to fill.