IGNORED

Unpopular City Strikers

Oh Louie louie

On 21/11/2023 at 17:25, phantom said:

First season he was awful, literally nothing dropped for him

Fair play though, he went away the following summer and worked really hard on his fitness and tan, and came back a half decent striker and looking even more like an African!!!

Peter Devine

Apparently from Blackburn but we signed him from Vancouver Whitecaps. God knows how he managed against all those Canucks, but a breath of wind would blow him over when he played for us. I notice his WIkipedia page says he played professionally for Vancouver, Blackburn Rovers and Burnley, so presumably we didn't pay him for the 21 games he played for us, which seems more than fair.

I like the stuff about the penalty too.

Peter Devine (born 25 May 1960) is an English former professional footballer who played as a winger. Devine played professionally for Vancouver Whitecaps, Blackburn Rovers and Burnley and also played non-league football for Lancaster City, Chorley, Morecambe and Clitheroe.[3]

While playing for Lancaster City, Devine became infamous for a missed penalty kick attempt during the 1991 HFS Northern Premier League Division One Cup Final against Whitley Bay.[4] The miss has been voted one of the worst penalty misses of all time and was included on the football blunders videos Danny Baker's Own Goals and Gaffs [sic] and Nick Hancock's Football Nightmares.[5] The miss was repeatedly mocked by Hancock throughout the video and while Devine politely declined to comment to The Athletic to discuss his gaffe, he insisted that he had no hard feelings towards him.[6]

In July 2015, Devine took over as manager of AFC Darwen.[7] After playing just one pre-season friendly, Devine resigned as manager.[8]

The Penalty miss

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 4

On 21/11/2023 at 17:52, Northern Red said:

Stern John

We had so many awful strikers coming in during that time.

Stern John, Stefan Mairhoffer, Peter Styvar, Patrick Agyemang, John Akinde, David Clarkson. 

Perhaps a little harsh on Clarkson but he was crap in the main.

8 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Stern John, Stefan Mairhoffer, Peter Styvar, Patrick Agyemang, John Akinde, David Clarkson. 

Alvaro Saborio

Emad Meteb pretty unpopular - took a look around and got straight back on the plane 

On 21/11/2023 at 18:23, cidercity1987 said:

We certainly cornered the market with journeymen strikers during our fall to the bottom of L1. Turned up, played about 5 games and left again

Agyemang

Tyrone Barnett

Stern John

Marlon Harewood

Martin Paterson

Any others?

Harewood, all the attributes to be a top top striker. Big, strong, fast. Just didn’t have it up there 

On 21/11/2023 at 16:30, KendrickDNB said:

How has nobody mentioned Diony

Because we were talking about footballers and he doesn't qualify as such....

On 21/11/2023 at 18:34, RicksterJ said:

Undoubtedly the worst I have ever seen, but somehow wasn’t unpopular 🤷

Bas was in the so bad he was good category

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Liam Robinson. Phil Jevons and JET

JET would create many goals for same baldock - who was over-rated and missed loads. and wouldnt get any stick- but JET would

I think the equivalent of @Davefevs on here at the time pointed out that we had scored something like 27 goals at a certain point of the season, and that JET was involved in 25 of them either scoring or assisting, but some on here wanted to drop him because we were conceding too many goals. :facepalm:

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Liam Robinson. Phil Jevons and JET

JET would create many goals for sam baldock - who was over-rated and missed loads. and wouldnt get any stick- but JET would

I think there were a few oddballs who didn't rate JET but he was much loved by a lot of the City faithful for his fantastic goal and assist return over the two seasons

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

On 21/11/2023 at 21:45, handsofclay said:

Roberts and McCarthy were signed on loan roughly at the same time, iirc as replacements for Shaun Goater. Roberts made his full debut in a televised game at Oldham and scored in a win, teaming up well with Gregory Goodridge. We played Carlisle next at home and John Ward inexplicably dropped Roberts and replaced him with McCarthy who looked overweight. McCarthy did very little. Roberts came on as a late sub in a one nil win and I remember the Carlisle defenders were bouncing off of him. He was very impressive.

Trouble was his nose had been put out of joint being dropped for the unfit McCarthy, simply due to the latter's experience and went AWOL. I blame us going up as runners up instead of champions on that decision. Didn't understand it at the time and still don't.

In another world we sign Roberts permanently and then sign Akinbiyi in the Summer as well. What a strike pairing that would have been. Daft decision to overlook Roberts.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the equivalent of @Davefevs on here at the time pointed out that we had scored something like 27 goals at a certain point of the season, and that JET was involved in 25 of them either scoring or assisting, but some on here wanted to drop him because we were conceding too many goals. :facepalm:

Clueless these fans. JET was brilliant in 2013-14 and it was criminal Baldock bagged more goals than he did. Baldock was the type of striker who needed 5 chances to bag 1.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Clueless these fans. JET was brilliant in 2013-14 and it was criminal Baldock bagged more goals than he did. Baldock was the type of striker who needed 5 chances to bag 1.

JET was a fantastic player for us, you are spot with your clueless remark. The goal against the gas,no one in our squad is capable of that currently. 

Edited by Red Army 75

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

JET was a fantastic player for us, you are spot with your clueless remark. The goal against the gas,no one in our squad is capable of that currently. 

We rarely get players like JET at AG. Someone who can do something out of nothing and would rifle a 25 yarder top corner when he wanted. I'd take that any day of the week over the likes of Liam Robinson and Matty Taylor just giving 100%.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

We rarely get players like JET at AG. Someone who can do something out of nothing and would rifle a 25 yarder top corner when he wanted. I'd take that any day of the week over the likes of Liam Robinson and Matty Taylor just giving 100%.

Agree mate. But I liked Matty Taylor and thought he should of played more under Johnson 

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Peter Devine

Apparently from Blackburn but we signed him from Vancouver Whitecaps. God knows how he managed against all those Canucks, but a breath of wind would blow him over when he played for us. I notice his WIkipedia page says he played professionally for Vancouver, Blackburn Rovers and Burnley, so presumably we didn't pay him for the 21 games he played for us, which seems more than fair.

I like the stuff about the penalty too.

Peter Devine (born 25 May 1960) is an English former professional footballer who played as a winger. Devine played professionally for Vancouver Whitecaps, Blackburn Rovers and Burnley and also played non-league football for Lancaster City, Chorley, Morecambe and Clitheroe.[3]

While playing for Lancaster City, Devine became infamous for a missed penalty kick attempt during the 1991 HFS Northern Premier League Division One Cup Final against Whitley Bay.[4] The miss has been voted one of the worst penalty misses of all time and was included on the football blunders videos Danny Baker's Own Goals and Gaffs [sic] and Nick Hancock's Football Nightmares.[5] The miss was repeatedly mocked by Hancock throughout the video and while Devine politely declined to comment to The Athletic to discuss his gaffe, he insisted that he had no hard feelings towards him.[6]

In July 2015, Devine took over as manager of AFC Darwen.[7] After playing just one pre-season friendly, Devine resigned as manager.[8]

The Penalty miss

Ah yes .......... who ?

• Haha 1

One that may come into the "Just Me"? category.

Bobby Gould . 
Never liked him even though his scoring record was pretty good, 15 in 35 (Wiki) .
Fell out with some at the Club I seem to remember. Probably not the first time as he had 4 Clubs before us , we sold him on to WHU for a profit and he had 3 clubs after. 9 Clubs and never stayed more than 80 odd games for any of them, even though he scored well for most of them.
I was so pleased when he left and Gillies started well. 

19 hours ago, Lew-T said:

A little harsh on Maierhofer too maybe?

If ever there was a case of a a player not being given the opportunity to show what they could do, I think that would apply to his Bristol City career.

He played 3 games, I think.

One was the infamous Plymouth game that ended Gary Johnson’s tenure, when we played the most outrageously uncultured route one football that I think I’ve ever seen at professional level.

And (again, if I remember right) another of the three he played in goal after we had a keeper sent off.

He’s had a decent enough career, albeit never hitting the heights. And I suspect he views the City part of that as the wierdest! 

• Like 1

Have we spoken about Ian Baird yet?

His last act as a City player was to leave the field giving a two fingured salute in a pre season friendly following our relegation from the 1st Division. (Championship)

The led to my favourite One Team in Bristol Cover. "Yes Ian, we know which division we're in but whose fault is it?"

Edited by Midlands Robin

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Absolutely, besides the gas thing. I thought he was a very intelligent footballer. No so more than the pass to Smith against Man U

100%.

What was the surprising thing about Taylor was he was the exact opposite of what we all thought we were getting.

His finishing actually wasn’t that great at all (there was a miss at Derby in a 3-3 draw that was one of the worst ever) but his general play was very good.

As you say that pass to Korey was worth his transfer fee on its own but it wasn’t an isolated thing, he also had good movement & was a total wind up merchant with opposition defenders, his goal scoring record though, just 7 league goals for us (1 of those was a penalty) in 67 appearances, 23 as starts was pretty poor.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

What was the surprising thing about Taylor was he was the exact opposite of what we all thought we were getting.

His finishing actually wasn’t that great at all (there was a miss at Derby in a 3-3 draw that was one of the worst ever) but his general play was very good.

As you say that pass to Korey was worth his transfer fee on its own but it wasn’t an isolated thing, he also had good movement & was a total wind up merchant with opposition defenders, his goal scoring record though, just 7 league goals for us (1 of those was a penalty) in 67 appearances, 23 as starts was pretty poor.

Don`t forget his performances and goals in most games in the LC that season went a long way to getting us to a position where we had the chance to beat Man Utd.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge