IGNORED

Unpopular City Strikers

Oh Louie louie

2 hours ago, Dizz said:

I remember a very 'un-Jason Roberts like' replacement from Oldham called Sean McCarthy who we brought in when the very 'Jason Roberts like' Jason Roberts decided to disappear on us. (Less said about that the better 😐)

To be fair, just think he was more rubbish than unpopular...

Roberts and McCarthy were signed on loan roughly at the same time, iirc as replacements for Shaun Goater. Roberts made his full debut in a televised game at Oldham and scored in a win, teaming up well with Gregory Goodridge. We played Carlisle next at home and John Ward inexplicably dropped Roberts and replaced him with McCarthy who looked overweight. McCarthy did very little. Roberts came on as a late sub in a one nil win and I remember the Carlisle defenders were bouncing off of him. He was very impressive.

Trouble was his nose had been put out of joint being dropped for the unfit McCarthy, simply due to the latter's experience and went AWOL. I blame us going up as runners up instead of champions on that decision. Didn't understand it at the time and still don't.

Edited by handsofclay
  • Like 1

I don't think many fans remember quite how bad Paul Cheesley was when he joined us from Norwich for 30k ln 1973. He seemed slow, couldn't really hold the ball up or affect the game in any way. What a transformation for season 75/76 when his goals, hold up play and presence in and around the box spearheaded our promotion season followed by the opening day winner at Highbury.  By the time he got that knee injury against Stoke he was always going to be a club legend, buy he was really poor in his first season, and yes, the fans let him know it..

20 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Roberts and McCarthy were signed on loan roughly at the same time, iirc as replacements for Shaun Goater. Roberts made his full debut in a televised game at Oldham and scored in a win, teaming up well with Gregory Goodridge. We played Carlisle next at home and John Ward inexplicably dropped Roberts and replaced him with McCarthy who looked overweight. McCarthy did very little. Roberts came on as a late sub in a one nil win and I remember the Carlisle defenders were bouncing off of him. He was very impressive.

Trouble was his nose had been put out of joint being dropped for the unfit McCarthy, simply due to the latter's experience and went AWOL. I blame us going up as runners up instead of champions on that decision. Didn't understand it at the time and still don't.

My memory is a bit hazy on the subject but didn't Roberts go and play an international match for Grenada? Against Wards wishes? Ward then went full sulk and dropped him.

• Like 4

I remember that time tiny penis had just signed ex gas Peter Beadle and teamed him up with Steve Jones for his home debut. One of them scored I can't remember who but the lack of fans celebration told its own story.

It tells you the mark of the striker Beadle was as he quickly won over many fans (although you can never forget he played for the dark side) with his committed performances. Not many players play for City and the sags and held in the same regard.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I'll raise you a Liam Robinson

He was pretty much the same as Junior Bent and played around the same time I think? Plenty of effort, skill (and pace in Bent's case) but it all fell apart when either had a shot at goal. People behind the goal taking cover when either were lining up a shot!

• Like 1

Not sure about unpopular, but Andy Smith, Michael Bridges and Lois Diony are some of the worse I've seen in a City shirt.

Feel a bit sorry for Engvall, he never got given a chance in a City shirt. 

In terms of popular, but not very good, Matty Taylor, had he not been swiped off Rovers to piss them off, and become a cult like hero because of it, was pretty woeful for us. I still have nightmares over that miss at Derby, which had it gone in, surely we wouldn't have thrown the game away as we proceeded to do. Although, his pass to Smith to beat Man Utd probably made him a money well spent signing. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, CloudyThatchers said:

Has no one mentioned Iain Baird?

He was a class A c#ck!!

Got to be the winner for me. The likes of Liam Robinson and Bas Savage were rubbish but they weren’t unpopular.

Baird was rubbish and of course infamously stuck two fingers up to the Atyeo. You don’t come back from that! 

I’d imagine Brooker would feature high on the players lists after the Lita incident! 

• Like 1

Can't be bothered to look through the thread, so sorry if he's been mentioned but ;

Lee Miller 

Paid £300,000 for him and while 6 in 49 isn't the worst strike rate ever , his miss at Swindon cost him any chance of being popular here. I thought he was ok, but he never recovered from that.

Looking back that goal would have won the game. 
That win would have given us 2 more points.
Those 2 points would have put us on 84.
QPR went up in the second auto place on 83.
We lost in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Can't be bothered to look through the thread, so sorry if he's been mentioned but ;

Lee Miller 

Paid £300,000 for him and while 6 in 49 isn't the worst strike rate ever , his miss at Swindon cost him any chance of being popular here. I thought he was ok, but he never recovered from that.

We lost in the playoffs.

Never to be forgotten…..or forgiven. He was never the greatest striker, but probably not on the ‘unpopular’ list until that moment.

Fans will always point to a miss and lost opportunities, but they’re usually pie in the sky ‘what-if’ opportunities.

Why this stood out was that it was a) such an easy chance, b) so near the end of the game, c) so near the end of the season. So all those ‘what-if’s’ that you’ve set out are things that more than likely would have happened.

Oh, and d) right in front of the City fans. 😩

Edited by italian dave

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Never to be forgotten…..or forgiven. He was never the greatest striker, but probably not on the ‘unpopular’ list until that moment.

Fans will always point to a miss and lost opportunities, but they’re usually pie in the sky ‘what-if’ opportunities.

Why this stood out was that it was a) such an easy chance, b) so near the end of the game, c) so near the end of the season. So all those ‘what-if’s’ that you’ve set out are things that more than likely would have happened.

Oh, and d) right in front of the City fans. 😩

Got to score , hasn't he :facepalm:

Screenshot2023-11-22at08_53_26.png.d67bdd46ca7c11a5170f57c4b8d6c734.png

Or if you want to watch the whole thing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I’d forgotten that *****ing Fallon goal too……just to rub it in!!

Seemed to have something of the Daniel Johnson about him, most of his decent games were against us.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Now there's a striker I never liked 

See above!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

My memory is a bit hazy on the subject but didn't Roberts go and play an international match for Grenada? Against Wards wishes? Ward then went full sulk and dropped him.

Exactly what happened.

Roberts was told not to go, as we were fighting Watford for top spot & then he totally ignored Ward & did so.

McCarthy, who admittedly wasn’t great, battled away in every game for us, played & scored at Preston on the last day of the season, even though his father has passed away that week.

No surprise why Ward went with him, most managers would prefer a bloke prepared to give you everything over someone who thinks he’s better than the club, especially if he’s only on loan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly what happened.

Roberts was told not to go, as we were fighting Watford for top spot & then he totally ignored Ward & did so.

McCarthy, who admittedly wasn’t great, battled away in every game for us, played & scored at Preston on the last day of the season, even though his father has passed away that week.

No surprise why Ward went with him, most managers would prefer a bloke prepared to give you everything over someone who thinks he’s better than the club, especially if he’s only on loan.

But that was AFTER Roberts had been inexplicably dropped in favour of McCarthy after his match winning performance on debut at Oldham. Yes, it was petulant. But I rather think had it not been for the fact he was dropped he would've acted differently. 

The proof of the pudding is that not long afterwards Roberts was playing and scoring in the Premier League whereas I was watching McCarthy playing for Truro v Mangotsfield United at Cossham St.

Edited by handsofclay
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Lee Miller 

We lost in the playoffs.

I wince at the very thought! I was standing not too far away from him on that 5hitty terrace and could've put it in with me knob [it seemed like two inches from the goal line], it was that bad a miss

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Swede said:

I wince at the very thought! I was standing not too far away from him on that 5hitty terrace and could've put it in with me knob [it seemed like two inches from the goal line], it was that bad a miss

Your gentleman's sausage seemed like it was 2" from the goal line?!?!?!?!? Amazed the ref didn't notice

• Haha 1