IGNORED

Unpopular City Strikers

Oh Louie louie

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Steve Torpey was dreadful. He scored 13 goals in three seasons and Phil Jevons bagged 11 in two seasons……pretty crap for strikers. Jevons had the nickname ‘turbo’ as he was so slow………:laugh:

Jevons was fine. 11 in 41 in L1 which included numerous sub appearances. Then he was binned off once we reached the Champ quite rightly.

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Came from Yeovil.

Anyone remember Steve Johnson? Terry Cooper paid about £30k for him I think which was a lot for us back in the 80’s. My one memory of him was ballooning the ball over the bar when he was put through at Eastville. We lost 1-0 to a Holloway goal and can’t remember him playing for us again?! 

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Steve Torpey was dreadful. He scored 13 goals in three seasons and Phil Jevons bagged 11 in two seasons……pretty crap for strikers. Jevons had the nickname ‘turbo’ as he was so slow………:laugh:

Jevons was only here for one full season (2006/07), in which he scored 17 goals.

He was gone by November 2007. Did a job for us in League One. Definitely better than crap. 

Edited by David Brent
  • Like 7

On 19/11/2023 at 10:44, 1960maaan said:

The thing I remember most about Gary Stanley, apart from him being virtually pointless. Was during one game ,which so so memorable that I've forgotten who it was against, he was on the bench and stood to warm up. Big shout from the crowd of "sit down Stanley" , in my memory he actually sat back down, though it was a long time ago.

In my opinion "Bang average" is being too kind.

I remember reading about this incident in a Chelsea fanzine of the time.  The author was quite upset and staggered that Stanley- who was apparently a bit of a hero in those parts- was so unpopular at Ashton.

Ralph Milne. Remember being chastised by a fellow city fan for shouting encouragement rather than abuse away at Walsall. Alex Ferguson fancied him after having him at Aberdeen and signed him for Man U. Ralph scored one absolute cracker in front of the East End but struggled being accused of being lazy.

39 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Anyone remember Steve Johnson? Terry Cooper paid about £30k for him I think which was a lot for us back in the 80’s. My one memory of him was ballooning the ball over the bar when he was put through at Eastville. We lost 1-0 to a Holloway goal and can’t remember him playing for us again?! 

'Rambo'

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I think your Jevons opinion may be negatively influenced by the fact that he was a Gary Johnson favourite RR, he wasn't that bad. Somewhere in the middle ranking over the years for me.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I remember reading about this incident in a Chelsea fanzine of the time.  The author was quite upset and staggered that Stanley- who was apparently a bit of a hero in those parts- was so unpopular at Ashton.

It was nothing personal Miah, it was just he was crap.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Malago said:

Steve Jones.

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Was he unpopular? He had a lovely tan.

First season he was awful, literally nothing dropped for him

Fair play though, he went away the following summer and worked really hard on his fitness and tan, and came back a half decent striker

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I think your Jevons opinion may be negatively influenced by the fact that he was a Gary Johnson favourite RR, he wasn't that bad. Somewhere in the middle ranking over the years for me.

Yep, top scorer in his only full season with us, (17, not 11 in two seasons) we also got promoted.

You’re right, so it’s absolute horseshit to suggest that he was either unpopular or poor.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, top scorer in his only season with us, we also got promoted.

You’re right, so it’s absolute horseshit to suggest that he was either unpopular or poor.

He was both Graham.  Everyone around me in the Dolman back then thought he was crap. One wit once remarked ‘Jevons is slower than he looks’……………...:laugh:

58 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Jevons was only here for one full season (2006/07), in which he scored 17 goals.

He was gone by November 2007. Did a job for us in League One. Definitely better than crap. 

Yeah but apart from it being 17 goals in 1 season rather than 11 goals in 2 seasons you have to say it’s wonderfully accurate analysis that we’ve all come to know and love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Not just my opinion Rich - loads of fans in the Dolman around me thought the same.