IGNORED

Unpopular City Strikers

Oh Louie louie

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think the most unpopular striker in my time was Scott mcgarvey, he got terrible stick from the dolman, even when he scored he was called a flash fing such and such, his scoring record for us was decent 

I heard a story that after being kicked up in the air against the squatters , he said , this isn't the Manchester Derby !
Shows he thought it would be an easy ride down here. I never took to him I must admit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I think the most unpopular striker in my time was Scott mcgarvey, he got terrible stick from the dolman, even when he scored he was called a flash fing such and such, his scoring record for us was decent 

Before my time - why was he unpopular? Decent record on wiki. Goal every other game pretty much. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter

28 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Before my time - why was he unpopular? Decent record on wiki. Goal every other game pretty much. 

Along with Gary Stanley, Scott had a "very lovely" hair cut and the swagger of a star player...alas on the pitch they were bang average and not that hard working- McGarvey did put a few away, but he was not a team player....and the Fans could see that!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, adamski said:

Along with Gary Stanley, Scott had a "very lovely" hair cut and the swagger of a star player...alas on the pitch they were bang average and not that hard working- McGarvey did put a few away, but he was not a team player....and the Fans could see that!

Ah! The man who reminded me of the entry for Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy....  "Mostly Harmless". 

He never really did anything to upset me, he just did nothing really. For someone of his pedigree he was the least effective player I have ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Ah! The man who reminded me of the entry for Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy....  "Mostly Harmless". 

He never really did anything to upset me, he just did nothing really. For someone of his pedigree he was the least effective player I have ever seen.

For some reason, whenever I think of GS (which TBF isn't often) I just see him strolling around in that "mini series"   The Aldershot Cup Tie  !

1 hour ago, adamski said:

The thing I remember most about Gary Stanley, apart from him being virtually pointless. Was during one game ,which so so memorable that I've forgotten who it was against, he was on the bench and stood to warm up. Big shout from the crowd of "sit down Stanley" , in my memory he actually sat back down, though it was a long time ago.

In my opinion "Bang average" is being too kind.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

The thing I remember most about Gary Stanley, apart from him being virtually pointless. Was during one game ,which so so memorable that I've forgotten who it was against, he was on the bench and stood to warm up. Big shout from the crowd of "sit down Stanley" , in my memory he actually sat back down, though it was a long time ago.

I think you're right, I was far too generous regarding "Gary Stanley and his lovely hair cut"...he could easily been replaced by a life size cardboard cut out....Our group's chant..previously referenced... was the only positive we could think of, by the same token, we downgraded Bob Taylor's chant as he became less effective to "Bob, Bob average Bob, average Bobby Taylor".... the joyous humour of the Park End are much missed, as is the small change collected during certain games!!!

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 10:44, 1960maaan said:

Ray Attaveld wasn’t any better either. 

• The title was changed to Unpopular City Strikers
16 minutes ago, Ben1980 said:

Kevin Nugent was always unpopular. Remember him getting booed every time they ran through the teams on the tannoy. 

Tbf he was slow - made my Nan look quick. 

Not fair !!  He always showed a turn of speed when pulling the helicopter on Weston sands. Steve Torpey was another.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Not fair !!  He always showed a turn of speed when pulling the helicopter on Weston sands. Steve Torpey was another.

Steve Torpey was dreadful. He scored 13 goals in three seasons and Phil Jevons bagged 11 in two seasons……pretty crap for strikers. Jevons had the nickname ‘turbo’ as he was so slow………:laugh:

• Like 1

On 19/11/2023 at 10:36, slartibartfast said:

For some reason, whenever I think of GS (which TBF isn't often) I just see him strolling around in that "mini series"   The Aldershot Cup Tie  !

One of those replays was one of the best games I ever saw at AG. I think we won 1-0 in the end 

As a youngster and just started watching city couldn’t work out why fans were booing Scott McGarvey and still can’t really - I thought we were sitting with the away fans 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Steve Torpey was dreadful. He scored 13 goals in three seasons and Phil Jevons bagged 11 in two seasons……pretty crap for strikers. Jevons had the nickname ‘turbo’ as he was so slow………:laugh:

Wasn't Jevons a Gas cast off ?