IGNORED

Unpopular City Strikers

Oh Louie louie

I should think there are hundreds of anonymous City strikers who are unpopular, mostly because they didn’t score enough goals or because they didn’t try hard enough.

I think Stevie Neville went fifteen games without scoring but we were all behind him because he tried his best .

We have signed our fair share of show ponies just here for an easy life. 

Just now, Northern Red said:

Tony Thorpe wasn't particularly popular by the end, once he'd announced he wasn't going to sign a contract.

I saved a lot of time by disliking him very early on.

Lazy flat track bully, who was out of his depth at Championship level (2 goals there in his entire career) who Lennartsson said was one of the worst professionals he ever worked with. Brilliant if we were already 3-0 up against the likes of Cambridge though..

If you listen to him on commentary (as I had the misfortune of doing v QPR) he still thinks he was Robbie Fowler standard or something.

2 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Patrick Agyemang 6ft 2. Fans from previous teams said he couldn’t head a ball. They were right

7 appearances 0 goals 

We certainly cornered the market with journeymen strikers during our fall to the bottom of L1. Turned up, played about 5 games and left again

Agyemang

Tyrone Barnett

Stern John

Marlon Harewood

Martin Paterson

Any others?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cidre Monita said:

Anyone remember Steve Johnson? Terry Cooper paid about £30k for him I think which was a lot for us back in the 80’s. My one memory of him was ballooning the ball over the bar when he was put through at Eastville. We lost 1-0 to a Holloway goal and can’t remember him playing for us again?! 

He was Cooper's most expensive signing at the time. The big front man we needed, given that we played with two wingers.

He could head the ball, but...

Bu99er went to Chester and scored against us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Commoner said:

Ralph Milne. Remember being chastised by a fellow city fan for shouting encouragement rather than abuse away at Walsall. Alex Ferguson fancied him after having him at Aberdeen and signed him for Man U. Ralph scored one absolute cracker in front of the East End but struggled being accused of being lazy.

Winger, not eligible. Capable of sublime moments of genius. Sold for a pile to ManUre.

• Like 1

I remember a very 'un-Jason Roberts like' replacement from Oldham called Sean McCarthy who we brought in when the very 'Jason Roberts like' Jason Roberts decided to disappear on us. (Less said about that the better 😐)

To be fair, just think he was more rubbish than unpopular...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, patchway ciderred said:

I can remember 4 'strikers' from around 82/83 that weren't the best: John Kerr from Tramere, John Palmer, dragged in from the Western League and the Kelly Brothers, Errington and Nyrere, I think they both camecfrom the Gas. All were bloody awful

All excusable because we were broke

48 minutes ago, patchway ciderred said:

I can remember 4 'strikers' from around 82/83 that weren't the best: John Kerr from Tramere, John Palmer, dragged in from the Western League and the Kelly Brothers, Errington and Nyrere, I think they both camecfrom the Gas. All were bloody awful

john kerr signed pre season 83/84 and did a job for a while......rip as well