IGNORED

City p155heads XI

SecretSam

11 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Not sure that emoji is appropriate.

For all the laughs we have had meeting players that are out on lash, Ralph Milne is the tragic side of the story. Alcoholism is no laughing matter. 

Yes, beating his partner on numerous occasions and dead in his mid 50s due to alcohol is no laughing matter. I remember watching him play for City away at Oxford United (when they were a very good team) in the league cup and he scored an unbelievable goal. One of my favourite City goals of all time.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Yes, beating his partner on numerous occasions and dead in his mid 50s due to alcohol is no laughing matter. I remember watching him play for City away at Oxford United (when they were a very good team) in the league cup and he scored an unbelievable goal. One of my favourite City goals of all time.

And his side footed volley from the edge of the box against Palace !!! 

• Like 1

Mark Aizlewood is another who was an alcoholic in his time at City and other clubs although it wasn't known at the time.

Alcohol has been just one of many problems in his life but according to Wikipedia he could drink a bottle of brandy and 20 pints of lager in a session and stay standing!

Genuinely shocking life story all in all.

To be honest at the time I thought he was just a nutter. My Leeds supporting mate told me of the time he offered the whole stand out at Elland Road when he was a Leeds player and was getting some stick from the home supporters.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Pissed up, hungover or stone sold sober, David Noble was still absolute class.

Wonderfully talented footballer and a nice guy as well - spent many hours chatting to him. He was aware of how good he was but was too laid back to have the necessary drive to further his career - a real shame.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

He scored a few worldies in his time.

• Like 1

This might be a bit controversial but on the subject of alcohol I really find it hard how you can become addicted ( no I’m not knocking the people with addictions at all it must be awful and so frustrating) I love a few pints and a Benidorm weekend / stag weekend all those things we love to do with the lads / lasses even on holiday with the sun shining I could have a pint 9 o clock no problem but to let in take over my life I find that so hard . Like I say I’m not knocking anyone who has an addiction like I say it must be so frustrating & damaging and yes I have lost a couple of mates to it , heartbreaking 

14 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Steven Davies

Yes definitely, did hear a story that Frankie Fielding had drink issues when at Derby and wasn't overly impressed when Davies was signed as they knocked about together in there time there.

14 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Steven Davies

Yes definitely, did hear a story that Frankie Fielding had drink issues when at Derby and wasn't overly impressed when Davies was signed as they knocked about together in there time there.

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Not only that, but he had an amazing knack of combining worldies that were also crucial. Think Mansfield and Hartlepool. Never ever known a player who could score out of the world goals at such crucial times. 

Mansfield and Hartlepool? I remember Nobes scoring for fun against Rotherham on promotion day, and a screamer at Palace, but I can't for the life of me remember Mansfield and Hartlepool?

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I recall hearing a story about the coach picking someone up at a Lawrence Weston pub, was that him? Bobby hutch certainly enjoyed his time here, you never knew where he was going to be commented TC, never effected his all action style though 

Bound to be Micky, always floating around the pubs and sports clubs of L-Dub/Shire

12 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Mark Aizlewood is another who was an alcoholic in his time at City and other clubs although it wasn't known at the time.

Alcohol has been just one of many problems in his life but according to Wikipedia he could drink a bottle of brandy and 20 pints of lager in a session and stay standing!

Genuinely shocking life story all in all.

To be honest at the time I thought he was just a nutter. My Leeds supporting mate told me of the time he offered the whole stand out at Elland Road when he was a Leeds player and was getting some stick from the home supporters.

Well, I am truly surprised.

I am aware he had some problems in his life, but not that they existed during his actual playing career.

I remember one match away against Portsmouth, when I was in the enclosure at the side of the pitch - anybody who has been there will know that it is very low down.

I was watching him head the ball in the warm up, and remember thinking what a fine athlete he looked - thighs like huge hams and, from a standing start, heading the ball from the edge of the penalty area to the half way line.

5 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Mansfield and Hartlepool? I remember Nobes scoring for fun against Rotherham on promotion day, and a screamer at Palace, but I can't for the life of me remember Mansfield and Hartlepool?

I thought we’d moved on to Christian Roberts. I don’t believe Nobes beat his wife, and I’m pretty sure he’s still in the land of the living!