IGNORED

How are we thinking about tomorrows game and what would be a good result

Clutton Caveman

3 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Think it will be tough but, actually, I think we need to win. We’re 4 points off the play offs… but the sense is we’re just about hanging in there. That gap moves out to 7, 8 points and several more teams above us then we’re basically done and dusted this season IMO.

Done and dusted? blimey, and I thought I was pessimistic.

• Like 2

We drew with an arguably superior then to now Middlesbrough side and should have won back in April.

Sure we've lost Scott but our midfield was James and King that day, Cornick, Weimann, Bell and Wells the 3-1. Pring at CB..unbalanced.

To a 3-1 home loss? Oh a tough game sure, while Akpom, Archer, Ramsey gave that star quality Carrick will also have learnt as a manager not least from their disastrous start..

Certainly wouldn't be a huge shock if we did lose but we should believe we can get something here.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We haven't had a decent run of form at home for ages now so hope that Liam will crack it although tomorrow might be a bit difficult with Boro in such good form, I'd take a draw but hope for a win

We went almost 4 months unbeaten at home last season.

Except for the Man City game obviously, can be a bit feast or famine at home at times.. won 4 of our first 7 home League games too. 13 pts from those 7.

What is your metric. 10 from the last 6, or 11 from 8 at home. Otoh win vs overall PPG.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We went almost 4 months unbeaten at home last season.

Except for the Man City game obviously, bit feast or famine at home at times.. won 4 of our first 5 home League games too.

If you look at the last 3 seasons our home form has been poor. That run you mentioned we won 5 home games in those 4 months and another 4 during the rest of the season so really wasn't that great out of 23 games.

Just now, ashton_fan said:

If you look at the last 3 seasons our home form has been poor. That run you mentioned we won 5 home games in those 4 months and another 4 during the rest of the season so really wasn't that great out of 23 games.

Like I say, feast or famine.

9/23 is a 40% win ratio or close to...middling sure.

NP and the continuation to Fleming about 37.5%. Middling again.

The numbers were skewed somewhat by the horrible run that finally ended late October 2021.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Like I say, feast or famine.

9/23 is a 40% win ratio or close to...middling sure.

NP and the continuation to Fleming about 37.5%. Middling again.

The numbers were skewed somewhat by the horrible run that finally ended late October 2021.

Obviously if you ignore the "horrible run," then the figures look a lot better but unfortunately they all count!

Just now, ashton_fan said:

Obviously if you ignore the "horrible run," then the figures look a lot better but unfortunately they all count!

Half of the horrible run was a shit show that was inherited. The early season there seemed to be a mental block..how late was the equaliser vs Blackpool and Luton too, albeit we could have lost the latter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

And in some respects I think he’s fair game.  But it’s not black and white for me.

Why is he fair game ? 

24 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Under Nige I'd probably have accepted a draw but hoped for a win.

However due to the manner of the change in management, expectations have been set by JL so really it has to be a win if those expectations are to be met. 

After 2 weeks or training the same excuses against QPR can't be used. 

Really need to let it go , your dislike of JL doesn’t mean you’ve got to heap it on LM who has been here two minutes 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think we’ll lose by at least a couple. They’re a good side and I think we’re in trouble. I’d snap your hand off for a point. 

We normally do badly after an international break, so throw in a new manager ….. ????

Fingers crossed but hope for the best, prepare for the worst…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wellspokenman said:

We normally do badly after an international break, so throw in a new manager ….. ????

Not of late we didn't.

Beat Coventry despite the injuries racking up, free with WBA and perhaps should've won.

Last season was a bit all over the place with International breaks, the Queen's funeral and other matters.

14 minutes ago, Wellspokenman said:

This could be our motto.

There is lots of negativity on this thread and I'm afraid I agree with most of it. How many we lose by seems to be the theme. 

I didnt miss going during the International break and I've little to no enthusiasm for the game and that was the same under Nige although I thought we were making slow progress with him in charge. Manning is on a hiding to nothing because of the ham fisted way JL and Tins handled the change. I will back him whilst he's here because he and the team deserve at least that. 

Hope I feel more positive tomorrow at 5pm but...............it's the hope that kills.

40 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Why is he fair game ? 

Because he’s accepted the job - that’s why I put “to some extent” and followed with “it’s not black and white”.

I doubt he himself has come here to take us backwards, so he’s under pressure to take us in the direction the hierarchy have stated.

That’s not me saying what my criteria is, or whether that’s fair or not, it’s just he will be critiqued. We will all have our own approach to that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was gonna start a poll earlier, but it’s always difficult to get the option choices right.

Are you saying the two options are:

• lose but entertaining performance or
  • lose but dull performance

Well to me that’s pretty obvious what 99% would go for…the first one.

If the options however are:

• lose but entertaining performance or
  • win but dull performance

I know what I’d choose…the second option.

I think the scoreline is anything but “second fiddle”.  I think most fans are result over performance and I see tomorrow as being no different.  But others may disagree.

What result would you have expected had Nige been in charge btw?

I wouldn’t expect us to concede 3 under Nige with our defence FWIW.

I guess yes, I'd take an entertaining loss with some early green shoots of more appealing football, over a dull/lucky win with no signs progress or tactical difference.

My thinking is the former may lead to more long term improvements (and points), but perhaps that's me being naively optimistic.

I also think that Nige with a fully fit squad was more than capable of producing dynamic, exciting football.

Had Nige been in charge based on home form I could see it being 0-0.

With Manning, I expect a loss. But I also see more potential for there to be a home win, than with Nige. 

I have such little to base this hunch off, other than what we've heard from him time at Oxford and Mk.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crimson Crayola said:

I guess yes, I'd take an entertaining loss with some early green shoots of more appealing football, over a dull/lucky win with no signs progress or tactical difference.

My thinking is the former may lead to more long term improvements (and points), but perhaps that's me being naively optimistic.

I also think that Nige with a fully fit squad was more than capable of producing dynamic, exciting football.

Had Nige been in charge based on home form I could see it being 0-0.

With Manning, I expect a loss. But I also see more potential for there to be a home win, than with Nige. 

I have such little to base this hunch off, other than what we've heard from him time at Oxford and Mk.

Fair play to you, we are all different. I’ll take 3 points, however they come tomorrow, plenty of time for patterns and style.

Don't get me wrong I’d prefer not to have 1-0 win like that Cardiff (a) one under Holden, but if I can’t have performance tomorrow I’d happily take the points.

• Like 2