IGNORED

How are we thinking about tomorrows game and what would be a good result

Clutton Caveman

I think the first home game with an international break to get organised should mean that we see the first impact of a new coaching team. It must be hard for Boro to prepare as they probably have no better idea than we have about our style of play.

I would hope that we stop playing Conway up front on his own. If we have 1 up top it has to be Cornick. I hope Wiemann does not start and that we play with a far higher tempo.

For me, a draw with an entertaining full on playing style will be enough. Fingers crossed, COYR

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

I'm glad the International break is over.

Apart from that, I'm not particularly excited or looking forward to the game. I really hope that the boys do well tomorrow and that the new Coaching team get the result and the performance they want.

When a new Management or Coaching team come in, there is usually a bit of a buzz or expectation that a new era may be dawning. It just doesn't feel that way this time. 

Good luck to everyone.

• Like 19

Its all a bit meh for me. Changing a manager mid season is fraught with problems especially with one so popular [with the fans at least]. Primarily the new head coach needs time to adjust to his new surroundings and get to know the players which was probably why TGH didn't start last week. It will be a measure of his coaching ability if he can get the high tempo game he wants.

With Boro always a tough nut to crack, I would happily settle for an entertaining 2:2 draw but wouldn't be surprised if we lose 3:1.

Hang on, we've got a top six squad according to the hierarchy so its got to be a 4:0 home win with Harry Cornick scoring a hattrick and his song ringing around the ground. Something tells me I'm into something goooood!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Swede said:

Its all a bit meh for me. Changing a manager mid season is fraught with problems especially with one so popular [with the fans at least]. Primarily the new head coach needs time to adjust to his new surroundings and get to know the players which was probably why TGH didn't start last week. It will be a measure of his coaching ability if he can get the high tempo game he wants.

With Boro always a tough nut to crack, I would happily settle for an entertaining 2:2 draw but wouldn't be surprised if we lose 3:1.

Hang on, we've got a top six squad according to the hierarchy so its got to be a 4:0 home win with Harry Cornick scoring a hattrick and his song ringing around the ground. Something tells me I'm into something goooood!

What medication do you take ?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Think it will be tough but, actually, I think we need to win. We’re 4 points off the play offs… but the sense is we’re just about hanging in there. That gap moves out to 7, 8 points and several more teams above us then we’re basically done and dusted this season IMO.

Edited by Robin101
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Always hoping for a win, but will be more interested to see if there are any changes to our style of play tomorrow - any signs of LM putting his stamp on things.

If we lose (against a side doing relatively well) but can see a positive change to approach I won’t be devastated. However, losing with the ‘same old’ approach would be a bit of a worry. 

• Like 1

Manning has to start with a home win or else that sinking feeling will return in earnest. 
Mid season and heading for top six, according to the Lansdowns, leaves no room for home defeat or home draw at this stage.

Good luck to the team and to the new coaching staff; I fear you may need it tomorrow 

COYR 

• Like 5

Normally I would take a draw for the first game for a new manager, but it's been spelled out very clearly by those running the club that top six expected at the end so we really need to be winning pretty much all our home game, 

So I hope for a win to take some pressure off the new manager and give him a chance at a good start 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

I'm glad the International break is over.

Apart from that, I'm not particularly excited or looking forward to the game. I really hope that the boys do well tomorrow and that the new Coaching team get the result and the performance they want.

When a new Management or Coaching team come in, there is usually a bit of a buzz or expectation that a new era may be dawning. It just doesn't feel that way this time. 

Good luck to everyone.

Exactly how I feel about it, I've lost interest.

Hopefully it'll come back after a while... I suppose exciting football and wins will help!

• Like 2

It’s a point I’ve made a few times but in a lot of ways Liam is on a total hiding to nothing here. He doesn’t have the new manager excitement or currency, and as this thread shows the feeling seems to be disillusionment as opposed to excitement. Thats not his fault - it’s a function of the manager prior not being wanted to be changed by the majority of fans, and also the ham fisted way things have been done.

A performance like QPR can’t happen tomorrow. I’m not in the boat of he needs to get top six, but he does need to get an uptick in performance at the very least from Nige even if results are consistent to justify the decision.

I don’t consider myself excited for tomorrow. But that’s down to Lansdown and Tinnion, not Manning, and he has my full support to hope this works. But if it doesn’t - and quickly - this could go very bad very very quickly.

Draw as a minimum with a positive performance is required. With this and Southampton, it feels like he’s been thrown to the wolves. Hopefully he can learn from the prior occupant and fight them off.

• Like 16
  • Flames 1

For me, the performance has never been so important, with the score almost playing second fiddle. An entertaining loss with an upward shift in how we play will buy Manning some time and even get some detractors on-side. A dull game, with few chances (a continuation of pre-Manning form) will see fans further question the sacking and the leadership. Boro are a good side, with great form, it's going to be a squeaky bum Saturday.

48 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a point I’ve made a few times but in a lot of ways Liam is on a total hiding to nothing here. He doesn’t have the new manager excitement or currency, and as this thread shows the feeling seems to be disillusionment as opposed to excitement. Thats not his fault - it’s a function of the manager prior not being wanted to be changed by the majority of fans, and also the ham fisted way things have been done.

A performance like QPR can’t happen tomorrow. I’m not in the boat of he needs to get top six, but he does need to get an uptick in performance at the very least from Nige even if results are consistent to justify the decision.

I don’t consider myself excited for tomorrow. But that’s down to Lansdown and Tinnion, not Manning, and he has my full support to hope this works. But if it doesn’t - and quickly - this could go very bad very very quickly.

Draw as a minimum with a positive performance is required. With this and Southampton, it feels like he’s been thrown to the wolves. Hopefully he can learn from the prior occupant and fight them off.

Yep. Not beating QPR is now looking a real problem - straight on the back foot. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swede said:

A bit meh for me too. I think the general feel  is there is no bad feeling towards Manning, but that said if he does well for the rest of the season the Board and Owner were right. This starts tomorrow I guess. I saw him at QPR and it was very low key with him being so new.

At QPR their new manager was running past all 4 stands and high giving everyone before KO, I can't see that happening tomorrow, or I hope it doesn't 😀

Most fans still feel very aggrieved towards the Board. Manning is their man and won't get an easy ride from many, a bit harsh on him. Although most won't want our club to fail, they certainly wouldn't be against pointing out the removal of Pearson was wrong.

Will be interesting for sure.

• Like 4

Seems a few have lapped up what JL said re top 6 and now loading the pressure on LM.

I really don't think that is the thoughts of the support base, just a few on here.

Boro are in top form with 7 wins, 2 draws, and just one defeat with 18 goals in those 10 games.

It is a very tough game and one I'd expect to lose under Pearson and have the same expectations under Manning. They have better players and a stronger squad and are in great form.

There are a few who won't accept Manning no matter what the team does - just because their man got the sack. You get the impression that they actually want Manning to fail just to prove a point, which is stupid.

What is just as stupid is taking JLs words literally and using them to undermine Manning.

As I said, it isn't the view of the vast majority of supporters, just a few halfwits on here.

I'm expecting a 1-3 defeat with a few signs of improvement over recent performances in some areas.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Seems a few have lapped up what JL said re top 6 and now loading the pressure on LM.

I really don't think that is the thoughts of the support base, just a few on here.

Boro are in top form with 7 wins, 2 draws, and just one defeat with 18 goals in those 10 games.

It is a very tough game and one I'd expect to lose under Pearson and have the same expectations under Manning. They have better players and a stronger squad and are in great form.

There are a few who won't accept Manning no matter what the team does - just because their man got the sack. You get the impression that they actually want Manning to fail just to prove a point, which is stupid.

What is just as stupid is taking JLs words literally and using them to undermine Manning.

As I said, it isn't the view of the vast majority of supporters, just a few halfwits on here.

I'm expecting a 1-3 defeat with a few signs of improvement over recent performances in some areas.

Halfwits! Wow!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Crimson Crayola said:

For me, the performance has never been so important, with the score almost playing second fiddle. An entertaining loss with an upward shift in how we play will buy Manning some time and even get some detractors on-side. A dull game, with few chances (a continuation of pre-Manning form) will see fans further question the sacking and the leadership. Boro are a good side, with great form, it's going to be a squeaky bum Saturday.

I was gonna start a poll earlier, but it’s always difficult to get the option choices right.

Are you saying the two options are:

• lose but entertaining performance or
  • lose but dull performance

Well to me that’s pretty obvious what 99% would go for…the first one.

If the options however are:

• win but dull performance

I know what I’d choose…the second option.

I think the scoreline is anything but “second fiddle”.  I think most fans are result over performance and I see tomorrow as being no different.  But others may disagree.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

What result would you have expected had Nige been in charge btw?

I wouldn’t expect us to concede 3 under Nige with our defence FWIW.

• Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

I was gonna start a poll earlier, but it’s always difficult to get the option choices right.

Are you saying the two options are:

• lose but dull performance

Well to me that’s pretty obvious what 99% would go for…the first one.

If the options however are:

• win but dull performance

I know what I’d choose…the second option.

I think the scoreline is anything but “second fiddle”.  I think most fans are result over performance and I see tomorrow as being no different.  But others may disagree.

What result would you have expected had Nige been in charge btw?

I wouldn’t expect us to concede 3 under Nige with our defence FWIW.

Same result under NP.

I was thinking of 1-2, but with Boro being in such good form and scoring quite a few, I plumped for 1-3.

Are Boro 2 goals better than us ? Maybe, we'll see tomorrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1