IGNORED

How are we thinking about tomorrows game and what would be a good result

Clutton Caveman

Just now, RedRock said:

I’ll buck the trend here, having been a Pearson supporter even if the dark days last December when many were calling for his head.

Loved Nige, but I can see the logic of the managerial move (and I’m not privy to what went on behind the scenes which, I suspect, may well have influenced decisions). A big gamble, but if you don’t take risks you rarely succeed in life.

The Lansdown’s and LM have my full support ( and I like the Bristol Sport initiative too, just not the rugby pitch markings) but please will you now get a decent *********** scouting network in place to support the manager will you!

So can I, RR.  The way they did it was “clumsy” (understatement imho! 😉) though.  Could’ve made life much easier for themselves and therefore LM in the process!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Of course it would be absurd to ‘judge’ Manning after two games (although a performance as crap as QPR will no doubt see some irrational ‘judgements’ this evening), however, and this is no fault of the man himself, no City manager I can ever remember deserves less time or patience before being ‘judged’.

I expect to see the results of his ‘on the grass’ coaching quickly on the style of play and I have been told by our Chairman that we were underperforming under Nigel Pearson, so the expectation is that we challenge for the playoffs under this manager.

Usually managers take over this club because the results are dreadful, relegation is a concern, the team barely have a shot let alone a win, the squad is unmotivated, the crowd has turned, there has been a breakdown between manager and players, the manager has simply lost the plot.. Not all of these may apply, but some of them will do and we all know the atmosphere around the club when a manager leaves. None of this was the case with Nigel Pearson. None of those sorts of messes need cleaning up. Because Nige (in time) cleaned them all up from what he was left with.

It is as good a situation to take over this club that I can ever remember. The squad is small without any deadwood expensive, useless players needing to be removed, the players are fit, spirited and motivated, and the team is in touching reach of the playoffs. Therefore there are none of the excuses that usually apply to new managers, none of the time required to sort out the mess of the previous bloke. So therefore there is far less patience or time.

If sacking Nigel Pearson and appointing Liam Manning was the correct thing to do, the evidence should be with us quickly, not necessarily today or this week, but much sooner than usual for any judgement on a new manager.

That is a bloody good post!

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t see any posters being put off posting and criticising Nige!!!  They all seem to be willing to take their turn.  That’s kinda why there are posts defending him…and imho there are lots of things to defend him on. As per my previous post, if OTIBers used year on year progress to mean league table / points improvement under LJ, why wouldn’t you use the same criteria for Nige.  If OTIBers think the defence of Nige on here is a weak defence, explain why that is so / challenge back.  It’s better than resorting to “cult of Nige” retorts from some which adds nothing.

FWIW I think Nige was anything but perfect.

I only got involved in this thread since Edgy_Red indicated he had been put off posting by the response to his comments

Edited by ashton_fan

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Of course it would be absurd to ‘judge’ Manning after two games (although a performance as crap as QPR will no doubt see some irrational ‘judgements’ this evening), however, and this is no fault of the man himself, no City manager I can ever remember deserves less time or patience before being ‘judged’.

I expect to see the results of his ‘on the grass’ coaching quickly on the style of play and I have been told by our Chairman that we were underperforming under Nigel Pearson, so the expectation is that we challenge for the playoffs under this manager.

Usually managers take over this club because the results are dreadful, relegation is a concern, the team barely have a shot let alone a win, the squad is unmotivated, the crowd has turned, there has been a breakdown between manager and players, the manager has simply lost the plot.. Not all of these may apply, but some of them will do and we all know the atmosphere around the club when a manager leaves. None of this was the case with Nigel Pearson. None of those sorts of messes need cleaning up. Because Nige (in time) cleaned them all up from what he was left with.

It is as good a situation to take over this club that I can ever remember. The squad is small without any deadwood expensive, useless players needing to be removed, the players are fit, spirited and motivated, and the team is in touching reach of the playoffs. Therefore there are none of the excuses that usually apply to new managers, none of the time required to sort out the mess of the previous bloke. So therefore there is far less patience or time.

If sacking Nigel Pearson and appointing Liam Manning was the correct thing to do, the evidence should be with us quickly, not necessarily today or this week, but much sooner than usual for any judgement on a new manager.

Top post oh bearded one 👏

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Chivs I forgot to add to my post above, just like there might be a few ready to pounce on Manning if we lose / are poor tomorrow, there may be a few who will see some decent moves (hopefully) or a win / good performance and proclaim we are now well-coached.  It works both ways.  If you can accept they are as irrational as the “other side” then that’s fair / fine.

If we win 3 0, you can rest assured, I will be pointing out what a coaching maestro Manning is. 😜

• Robin 1

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Everybody's entitled to their opinion but it's been a bit like lynch mob mentality on here lately where anybody saying anything even slightly critical of NP gets jumped upon, which is why you don't get a balanced view on here any more, people are just put off from posting.

I'm all for balance. So if someone comes on here criticising Nige then it's only fair that the context and facts should be provided for it to be balanced, which they often dont. So it's hardly a surprise they get called out on that is it? 

The poster above stated Nige had 7 million to spend, which I dispute. A few million of was only spent this summer. So to include the summer expenditure  seems a bit silly.

It's not really balanced to try and frame it in a way where it insinuates he's had 7 million to spend since he's been here. The reality is he's had less than a million to spend over 4 transfer windows. 

We sold Scott for 25 million and brought in Knight for around 2 million. 23 million profit yet despite losing a player of Scott's calibre, we have improved from last season.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1