IGNORED

What’s the story Ross McCrorie

Malago

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The one thing I exoect McCrorie to do if he plays RB, is that get past Sykes.  He’s a runner, he’ll create space for his teammates.

I don't know if I misunderstood what Manning said, or didn't pay enough attention but I'm sure he said he doesn't like having two on the same side that gets forward? Something about getting in each others way? 

I could be talking complete bollocks tho I don't know. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't know if I misunderstood what Manning said, or didn't pay enough attention but I'm sure he said he doesn't like having two on the same side that gets forward? Something about getting in each others way? 

I think he said he likes a full back on one side to attack and one the other side to defend which I thought was abit odd tbh and very lop sided 

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

Back in the early 18th Century, the Kingdoms of England (which then included Wales) and Scotland unified and signed a Treaty to form the Kingdom of Great Britain, later incorporating Ireland to form the State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, encompassing all four (Home) Nations or Countries.

England and ScotIand are different Countries (each with their own jurisdictions - don't get me started on the reasons why Scottish MPs can vote in the UK Government, whereas English MPs have no such rights in the Scottish Government), although both form part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I believe, therefore, that RM travelled from the north-east of one Country (Scotland) to the south-west of another Country (England).

As you were.

There's one country - the UK.

England, Scotland, Wales and NI are, at best, regional states that form a single country. Personally I'd not even call them that, I'd say they are cultural regions.

None of them have their own sovereign parliament. England doesn't even have its own assembly or council, and the other three exist at the whim and grace of the mother of Parliament's in Westminster.

None of them have their own currency.

None have their own enforced borders.

None have their own military.

None have their own unique head of state.

None of them have their own seat in the UN, follow their own foreign policy, or have the power to enter treaties and agreements with other countries in their own right.

That these states can, to an an extent, make and enforce their own laws in their own court system is not a marker of a country. The individual states of the USA make their own laws but we don't call them countries.

Ross McRorie moved from one end of the country to the other.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's one country - the UK.

England, Scotland, Wales and NI are, at best, regional states that form a single country. Personally I'd not even call them that, I'd say they are cultural regions.

None of them have their own sovereign parliament. England doesn't even have its own assembly or council, and the other three exist at the whim and grace of the mother of Parliament's in Westminster.

None of them have their own currency.

None have their own enforced borders.

None have their own military.

None have their own unique head of state.

None of them have their own seat in the UN, follow their own foreign policy, or have the power to enter treaties and agreements with other countries in their own right.

That these states can, to an an extent, make and enforce their own laws in their own court system is not a marker of a country. The individual states of the USA make their own laws but we don't call them countries.

Ross McRorie moved from one end of the country to the other.

But definitely separate countries in a footballing sense....

40 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

But definitely separate countries in a footballing sense....

Which is ridiculous and absurd.

It's also not entirely true when you've got a bunch of Welsh teams playing in the English league system and you've got people picking which "country" they play for depending on which grandparent they feel particularly close to.

It's all mad and divisive and imo ultimately hamstrings is from being a more dominant footballing nation.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

7 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

I think he said he likes a full back on one side to attack and one the other side to defend which I thought was abit odd tbh and very lop sided 

I can only imagine that he’s trying to say he doesn’t want straight lines, e,g. RW on the same line as the RB, because that’s easily blockable by your opponent.  So he’ll want one to come inside to create space for the other.

But he also mentioned shifting laterally quicker too.

So if we go down the right wing, say Sykes inverts and creates space for Tanner or Tanner inverts to create space for Sykes, then Vyner shifts right, Dickie shifts right and Pring comes narrow at LB.

But then if we have to come back and infield to go forward down the left, then the reverse happens.  Tanner comes back into RB after he’s passed to Vyner.  Dickie gets the ball from Vyner and Pring starts to go higher with hopefully Bell inverting…giving Pring room to go on the outside.

So it shouldn’t be fixed, but change with what side we are attacking down.

And if Knight can pop up in those areas too then we create the overloads.

IMG_9200.thumb.jpeg.72ccadfe5c99a7927dd53566713b2cc6.jpeg 

Not the greatest example, but this was a situation where we came from high on left wing, Sykes back to Pring, to Dickie….Tanner (blue 4) high, Weimann (green 3)inverted.

But to me this just feels like being a fluid 343 with a back four, where Tanner becomes RCB3 or RWB depending on which side we are attacking, and Pring does the opposite!!!! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I can only imagine that he’s trying to say he doesn’t want straight lines, e,g. RW on the same line as the RB, because that’s easily blockable by your opponent.  So he’ll want one to come inside to create space for the other.

So if we go down the right wing, say Sykes inverts and creates space for Tanner or Tanner inverts to create space for Sykes, then Vyner shifts right, Dickie shifts right and Pring comes narrow at LB.

But then if we have to come back and infield to go forward down the left, then the reverse happens.  Tanner comes back into RB after he’s passed to Vyner.  Dickie gets the ball from Vyner and Pring starts to go higher with hopefully Bell inverting…giving Pring room to go on the outside.

Not the greatest example, but this was a situation where we came from high on left wing, Sykes back to Pring, to Dickie….Tanner (blue 4) high, Weimann (green 3)inverted.

But to me this just feels like being a fluid 343 with a back four, where Tanner becomes RCB3 or RWB depending on which side we are attacking, and Pring does the opposite!!!! 🤣

This is like something from a lee johnson power point presentation! Perhaps guardiola can coach that in to a team with some of the best players in the world, but with our lot, we are making mistakes and scoring own goals, and cant score, it seems to me that developing patterns of play and relationships shouldn’t have to be that micro managed?! If we make top 6 it will be a miracle anyway, so what the hell i guess

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

This is like something from a lee johnson power point presentation! Perhaps guardiola can coach that in to a team with some of the best players in the world, but with our lot, we are making mistakes and scoring own goals, and cant score, it seems to me that developing patterns of play and relationships shouldn’t have to be that micro managed?! If we make top 6 it will be a miracle anyway, so what the hell i guess

Thank you @Davefevs

For your detailed explanation. Its very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

Manning is very brave to come in and change these things. Only time will tell if he's a genius or if he over complicated things. On the one hand I kinda feel as if it's something to applaud that he's setting his stool out. But on the other hand, it is a results based buisness. Look at Duff at Swansea. 

I don't like to keep meeting Nige but it's really difficult not to in these sort of circumstances. With Nige he knew what our players could do but most importantly he knew what they couldn't do. He knew our limitations. It's a pretty basic concept but he tried to get us to play to our strengths. Mix that with his own 'principles' of hard work etc then maybe we were actually already outperforming our ability. 

At the moment I do get lots of LJ vibes. Every time I see something like this I'm reminded of that presentation LJ gave about how we beat Man Utd. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Thank you @Davefevs

For your detailed explanation. Its very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

Manning is very brave to come in and change these things. Only time will tell if he's a genius or if he over complicated things. On the one hand I kinda feel as if it's something to applaud that he's setting his stool out. But on the other hand, it is a results based buisness. Look at Duff at Swansea. 

I don't like to keep meeting Nige but it's really difficult not to in these sort of circumstances. With Nige he knew what our players could do but most importantly he knew what they couldn't do. He knew our limitations. It's a pretty basic concept but he tried to get us to play to our strengths. Mix that with his own 'principles' of hard work etc then maybe we were actually already outperforming our ability. 

At the moment I do get lots of LJ vibes. Every time I see something like this I'm reminded of that presentation LJ gave about how we beat Man Utd. 

Yes, take sam bell,,, hes clearly at his best in space having a go at cutting in and getting a shot away, he will get more experienced and stronger of course, but as it stands, getting involved in intricate build up play receiving the ball with his back to goal isnt what he is good at,,, we have been set up for quick breaks and if thats changing we are losing what made us dangerous,,, and we really only have a couple of players with good enough technique to do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I’ve no idea how this is coached in.  If we buy into LM’s words, this ought to be principles about how we create “situations” without necessarily saying you have to here when the ball is there.

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Thank you @Davefevs

I honestly don’t think this is any real difference to how we played under Nige…bar patience in possession.

Have you seen any real new / innovative patterns yet?  I haven’t, and that’s not a criticism either.

Re your final point, don’t forget that the above is my interpretation and visual….we've not seen this from LM, so don’t tar LM with my OTIB rambles.

++++++

Imho, if you take the result out of Sunday I thought it was a decent performance.

But then again, I saw many decent performances under Nige too (that didn’t always get the result)

Our performances are predominantly down to player ability / player character.

Edited by Davefevs

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve no idea how this is coached in.  If we buy into LM’s words, this ought to be principles about how we create “situations” without necessarily saying you have to here when the ball is there.

I honestly don’t think this is any real difference to how we played under Nige…bar patience in possession.

Have you seen any real new / innovative patterns yet?  I haven’t, and that’s not a criticism either.

Re your final point, don’t forget that the above is my interpretation and visual….we've not seen this from LM, so don’t tar LM with my OTIB rambles.

++++++

Imho, if you take the result out of Sunday I thought it was a decent performance.

But then again, I saw many decent performances under Nige too.

I really hope Weimann learns about angles from LM. 

He's been one of the biggest culprits of running into space...but space in a straight line, where a pass can't reach him, or has to be played over a defenders head, onto a sixpence between him and the keeper. 

Given that all the training pitches at the HPC now have multiple arrows painted onto them showing the movements/routes that players should be running, you would hope that all the players catch on sooner rather than later.

(Source LM in one of his interviews) and another independent source.

5 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Given that all the training pitches at the HPC now have multiple arrows painted onto them showing the movements/routes that players should be running, you would hope that all the players catch on sooner rather than later.

If this is true. This does scream out as something LJ would do. 

41 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Thank you @Davefevs

shaking homer simpson GIF

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

++++++

But then again, I saw many decent performances under Nige too (that didn’t always get the result)

For me, the other big difference from Pearson is that I felt Pearson tended to like teams to play in a very structured way and Manning is a lot more fluid. I feel, with Pearson, we tended to play a 4-3-3 that was very much a 4-3-3 whereas, as you allude to in your previous post, our system is still nominally 4-3-3 but could be seen as a 3-4-3 or 5-2-3 at various points v Saints and Norwich. 

But it's nonetheless an evolution of how we play rather than a radical change of style. I think the problem, as I've said on other threads, is that patient build up play always ends up looking rubbish if someone gives the ball away at the end of it and we've still got a few players who are making simple mistakes in possession. The million dollar question is whether Manning can coach that out of those players or whether we've not (currently) got players to suit what Manning is trying to do. The latter is understandable when a new coach comes in but nonetheless would be a frustration as it was strongly implied the manager appointed would have a playing style the players could immediately adapt to. 

Personally - and I know this isn't the consensus on here -I'm encouraged by the early performances under Manning. I think the club should have been more realistic with fans that this will now be a season of transition but I'm hopeful Manning will ultimately build on and develop what Pearson started rather than rip everything up from scratch. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

Where do people think he will play when he's fit?

We paid a decent amount of money for him and i wonder what Nige's plan was?

Right back, Centre back or Midfield?

RB I would imagine.

Can see Tanner converting to a pretty decent RCB to be honest. Very good defensively. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I don’t believe they are being used rigidly like you suggest.

Heres the transcript from last week’s interview.

IMG_9202.jpeg

24 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me, the other big difference from Pearson is that I felt Pearson tended to like teams to play in a very structured way and Manning is a lot more fluid. I feel, with Pearson, we tended to play a 4-3-3 that was very much a 4-3-3 whereas, as you allude to in your previous post, our system is still nominally 4-3-3 but could be seen as a 3-4-3 or 5-2-3 at various points v Saints and Norwich. 

But it's nonetheless an evolution of how we play rather than a radical change of style. I think the problem, as I've said on other threads, is that patient build up play always ends up looking rubbish if someone gives the ball away at the end of it and we've still got a few players who are making simple mistakes in possession. The million dollar question is whether Manning can coach that out of those players or whether we've not (currently) got players to suit what Manning is trying to do. The latter is understandable when a new coach comes in but nonetheless would be a frustration as it was strongly implied the manager appointed would have a playing style the players could immediately adapt to. 

Personally - and I know this isn't the consensus on here -I'm encouraged by the early performances under Manning. I think the club should have been more realistic with fans that this will now be a season of transition but I'm hopeful Manning will ultimately build on and develop what Pearson started rather than rip everything up from scratch. 

I probably disagree on this!

I was seeing similar fluid shapes under Nige too…2-3-5 with build up from CBs away at Millwall for example, with the FBs beyond the midfield on both sides…pushing Millwall back.

I too am encouraged by LM, but the hardest thing for me is that I was encouraged by what Nige was doing too.  And I think with a few players fit in the lead-up to his sacking, that were available for Fleming and now for LM, would’ve made a difference / kept us chugging along.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

By that then we effectively, short of a a Cup run which is unlikely IMO, we're now accepting a drift to midtable as that is what a transitional season can rnreil.

Yes ripping it up would be foolish but the comments of Manning about the culture worry me.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Fair play some nice analysis there bud 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is bang on. 
Sunday I thought they were much more patient . I remember one particular phase  we moved them side to side a few times , but the movement ahead of the man in possession was a little better than recently and it created space for the wide forward. I hope this is one thing that LM is concentrating on , the movement from the forwards hasn't always been great , TC has been poor.  Previously we would have played forward quicker, which is fine on occasion , but I thought there were signs that possession and movement can work. I'd like to see us move it quicker at times and not rule out the longer pass altogether. 

42 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think this is bang on. 
Sunday I thought they were much more patient . I remember one particular phase  we moved them side to side a few times , but the movement ahead of the man in possession was a little better than recently and it created space for the wide forward. I hope this is one thing that LM is concentrating on , the movement from the forwards hasn't always been great , TC has been poor.  Previously we would have played forward quicker, which is fine on occasion , but I thought there were signs that possession and movement can work. I'd like to see us move it quicker at times and not rule out the longer pass altogether. 

I think what you also get with a bit of patient possession (deliberate possession???) is players not thinking they have to make a “killer run” straightaway.  LM talks about choosing the right moments, right! 😉

@spudski will know I’m referring to Weimann here!!!

We can wait until we are sure we have control of the ball, and then work patterns from there.

It does mean you might lose some opportunities to fast-break though, not all though.  But there have been times where we’ve launched an attack too quickly, and lost the ball whilst being a bit gung-ho.

It does mean a bit more patient build-up and that can be perceived as a bit boring.  But I think if LM could get us to win the ball back quicker and higher and it therefore felt we were building attacks / pressure from halfway rather than our own third it would feel better.

I know it’s data again, but we had 33 possession based attacks on Sunday, leading to 7 shots.  We had two counters, both led to shots.  As long as we aren’t deliberately NOT counterattacking, then that’s fine.

The two examples both ended with Conway shots, one tame, after Sykes had win the ball and set TGH away.  The other Dickie, intercepting on edge of our box, playing a one-two to stride forward and free Sykes, who slipped in Conway for Gunn to make a good save.  Both of these were pinching it very deep. I imagine we can do some more damage if we can repeat higher up the pitch.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the problem, as I've said on other threads, is that patient build up play always ends up looking rubbish if someone gives the ball away at the end of it and we've still got a few players who are making simple mistakes in possession. 

Sorry to selectively quote you, but I think this key. I saw an interview with Pep where he said that he "coached the players to understand that if they lost it, they had 3 seconds to get it back or get back in shape if they didn't". But he also said that "I have also tried to "coach" the supporters into understanding that not every move will have a conclusion, and that they need to be patient for the next opportunity that will come along".

Perhaps when a new coach comes in, the fans have to adapt as much as the team? 

The older fans on here will tell you that Alan Dick's possession based football was totally alien to the City crowd (and a lot of other clubs) at the time, but they grew to appreciate it when it brought success.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I'm confused already 🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Sorry to selectively quote you, but I think this key. I saw an interview with Pep where he said that he "coached the players to understand that if they lost it, they had 3 seconds to get it back or get back in shape if they didn't". But he also said that "I have also tried to "coach" the supporters into understanding that not every move will have a conclusion, and that they need to be patient for the next opportunity that will come along".

Perhaps when a new coach comes in, the fans have to adapt as much as the team? 

The older fans on here will tell you that Alan Dick's possession based football was totally alien to the City crowd (and a lot of other clubs) at the time, but they grew to appreciate it when it brought success.

I'm sorry but have you been living on a different planet the past few weeks? 

We were told "We've sacked Pearsom to give the new head coach the best possible chance of promotion this season" 

We are not Man City and don't have the best players in the world at our disposal. We have players that struggle with making simple passes. 

No one said anything about us changing our style completely mid season and having to coach the crowd to this new style. It was said that a new Head Coach would have us playing front foot, high pressing attacking football. Basically enhancing upon how we played under NP.

Appointing Manning is a departure from that. So I'm sorry if you're struggling to understand why our fans are struggling to buy into this pass along the back line football and why there is very little patience for that brand of football here. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm sorry but have you been living on a different planet the past few weeks? 

We were told "We've sacked Pearsom to give the new head coach the best possible chance of promotion this season" 

We are not Man City and don't have the best players in the world at our disposal. We have players that struggle with making simple passes. 

No one said anything about us changing our style completely mid season and having to coach the crowd to this new style. It was said that a new Head Coach would have us playing front foot, high pressing attacking football. Basically enhancing upon how we played under NP.

Appointing Manning is a departure from that. So I'm sorry if you're struggling to understand why our fans are struggling to buy into this pass along the back line football and why there is very little patience for that brand of football here. 

So you're saying, you were happy with a new coach as long as they didn't bring any new fangled ideas, and that Oxford Utd have more technically gifted players than we do? 

• Hmmm 1

22 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Thank you @Davefevs

Wasn’t it because we scored 2 goals and they scored 1 

22 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Paint them at Ashton Gate-↗️↘️

Job done 🙂💨

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 11:35, Davefevs said:

I probably disagree on this!

I was seeing similar fluid shapes under Nige too…2-3-5 with build up from CBs away at Millwall for example, with the FBs beyond the midfield on both sides…pushing Millwall back.

I too am encouraged by LM, but the hardest thing for me is that I was encouraged by what Nige was doing too.  And I think with a few players fit in the lead-up to his sacking, that were available for Fleming and now for LM, would’ve made a difference / kept us chugging along.

I certainly agree with your last paragraph. The main reason I say I am encouraged by LM is that it feels like building on what Pearson was doing rather than starting from scratch. I didn’t want us to change manager but, now we have, I really don’t want us to start yet another rebuild.

• Like 2