IGNORED

Liam Manning at the Hen & Chicken

Sheltons Army

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Am I only the one who keeps seeing the title and imagining Manning doing a set of contemporary rock and pop covers on an acoustic guitar?

I can only assume he thought he’d gone to the old comedy club nights and there were three trying out open-mic!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My challenge is why wait til next season?

Actually a very good question . 
Just beaten one of the divisions form sides and with a little luck and some good performances over the next few games , we could be going into the new year in touching distance of the Playoffs. If that was the case it would make sense to bring business forward to boost the squad. 
Lots of points to play for and I don't see much to worry us in the teams above us. 

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

In all fairness, I don’t think anyone has questioned the job Tinnion has done with the academy (although I’d note that success also relies on a manager more than willing to blood players as Pearson did more than anyone could have expected).

What people have - correctly - questioned is why a man who failed as a manager at the level below now seems to be the one we’re looking towards to steer all footballing levels of the club. That in any walk of life is alarming, particularly when that man can’t give consistent and coherent (not in spelling) responses.

As for Tinnion the player vs Tinnion the manager, much as with Lee Johnson it’s reasonable to separate the two (and playing ability as we all hope with Manning isn’t necessarily reflective of coaching ability). I’ve said before that Tinnion wouldn’t touch the best team Id select in the time watching City, and it’s notable that no teams at a higher level came in for him when he played the majority of career at what is now league one. He was a good league one player who stayed with the club because we didn’t get to the next level consistently where we’d have needed to replace him. He wasn’t rubbish and anyone saying that needs to give their head a wobble.

Managerial wise he can’t be classed as anything but a failure. He has done a good job at the academy, but that’s not where he’s manoeuvred himself to now. Thats the concern.

I agree with your post. But found it sad that the poster should start rubbishing Tinnion as a player. I always loved watching him play. And he gave everything on the pitch for City. By all means criticise his managerial ability. He was not up to it. As for his new role time will tell. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZumerZetSmithy said:

I was a Pearson Fan , i am warming to manning after last night 

I don't see it as Either/Or. Pearson did a very good job to rebuild our culture. I'm angry about the manner of his dismissal and I'm confident he would have got us further up the table as injuries subsided. But Manning isn't to blame for his dismissal and I'm not going to hold it against him. I want Manning to do well and I think it's obvious that he's a manager who is highly-rated by some within the game for a good reason. However well he does, I'll still think the club acted shoddily toward Pearson and that it doesn't reflect well on the Technical Director, Chair or the Board. But Manning has my support. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

In all fairness, I don’t think anyone has questioned the job Tinnion has done with the academy (although I’d note that success also relies on a manager more than willing to blood players as Pearson did more than anyone could have expected).

What people have - correctly - questioned is why a man who failed as a manager at the level below now seems to be the one we’re looking towards to steer all footballing levels of the club. That in any walk of life is alarming, particularly when that man can’t give consistent and coherent (not in spelling) responses.

Managerial wise he can’t be classed as anything but a failure. He has done a good job at the academy, but that’s not where he’s manoeuvred himself to now. Thats the concern.

Where I don't quite agree with you is that, whilst you re right that the role he is in now is different to the academy, it is also quite different to managing a club. Being a Manager and being a Technical Director/Director of Football are completely different skillsets and generally the people who are in the DoF/TD roles at most major clubs are NOT people who've succeeded as managers. Whether Tinnion is the right or wrong person for the role is a different question - and one which remains to be answered - but Begiristan at Man City has no record as a manager at all and Solari at Real Madrid struggled as Real Madrid manager and then struggled managing in Mexico before being appointed Director of football there. Similarly Deco at Barcelona has no managerial record at all. 

Appointing someone inside the club as Technical Director after several internal promotions within the club is actually a rare moment where we're not out of step with major teams. Tinnion hasn't impressed me in recent weeks but I think this whole "he shouldn't be in the role because he's not succeeded as a manger" debate misunderstands the role he is supposed to do. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think you are right.  

Petty and absurd.  “Unfair to Nige”, as big a fan as I was, I care more about Bristol City, and they made their chances of achieving success harder. It doesn’t help LM over the next 10-12 games either having a thin squad either.  Does it?  “Unfair to LM” too.

Thoughts?

Ok- here goes, Dave.

I don't think that NP's sacking or the withholding of the full transfer funds was either petty or absurd. I think it was considered.

No new Manager on the planet is going to be 100% happy with all the inherited squad- particularly if said new man has a different formation and style. Since Jan, NP was given the ability to (help) sign several players including TGH, Cornick,Mehmeti , McCrory, Roberts and Knight ( any others?) and it involved hard cash. TGH was 'bought' not as an experiment but with a get out clause. Good business.

I remember NP having a pop at JL- everyone loved it but I thought he had just signed his own P45.

Leaving nest egg funds for a new man for next season was sensible and considered.

Dismissing Nige was also sensible and considered imo. I went through the following reactions : Shock, confusion, mild annoyance, acceptance and then delight.

Your own reaction has been one of general outrage and I understand that as you have been an utter NP stalwart throughout his tenure- you thought he was the answer to a long standing problem and I didn't.

So we look at our club through very different lenses: I totally believe that NP should have gone and that the Lansdown family are great for BCFC .... and you don't. Most people on OTIB agree with you but perhaps the wider fan base don't. I still don't understand how NP has become a cult on here and generally meh at BS3.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Your own reaction has been one of general outrage and I understand that as you have been an utter NP stalwart throughout his tenure- you thought he was the answer to a long standing problem and I didn't.

Outrage at the manner / reasons given for his sacking more than anything, and some of the peripheral things.

Disappointment at the decision itself.

Long standing admirer of Nige for absolute sure (no shit!), but always felt it was likely he’d not see the fruits himself.  I did think he’d make next summer though.

I agree, there are different lenses though.  The beauty of OTIB really that we can be quite opposite on some stuff.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

It struck me that if he was still the head man (As owner he is of course ultimately) last night , with the fan base feelings was surely a time for him to make a rare appearance and speak - When was the last time (Other than the Guernsey Golf Club interview) we heard from him ?

Agreed, would be nice if SL fronted up a bit more.

In respect of SL, there was the little bit in the interview in August where he referenced the nest egg but this summer saw a big break from the norm.

For years he did an interview on Radio Bristol with Geoff ahead of the first home game of the season and the last.

Sunderland August 2022, Burnley April 2023.

This summer? Nothing. Zilch. Ahead of the game v Preston- not a thing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed, would be nice if SL fronted up a bit more.

In respect of SL, there was the little bit in the interview in August where he referenced the nest egg but this summer saw a big break from the norm.

For years he did an interview on Radio Bristol with Geoff ahead of the first home game of the season and the last.

Sunderland August 2022, Burnley April 2023.

This summer? Nothing. Zilch. Ahead of the game v Preston- not a thing.

I am thinking it has all been handed to Jon. He is the one in charge and is calling the shots over financial decisions in particular. 

Jon has got his men and they were up there with him. Steve IMO will become more distant unless Jon effs it up badly. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I am thinking it has all been handed to Jon. He is the one in charge and is calling the shots over financial decisions in particular. 

Jon has got his men and they were up there with him. Steve IMO will become more distant unless Jon effs it up badly. 

100%.

The fact that he has attended a couple of rugby games recently & did a Q&A for them tells you all you need to know.

His only interview was in Guernsey & focused mainly on the sale of Alex Scott.

I think (as others have posted) he’s basically lost interest & handed it all over to his son.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

The fact that he has attended a couple of rugby games recently & did a Q&A for them tells you all you need to know.

I think (as others have posted) he’s basically lost interest & handed it all over to his son.

Lost interest/getting on a bit to deal with Bristol City FC. 

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

100%.

I think a mixture of losing interest, disenchantment, and also resentment at the criticism he gets. The latter having played a significant role in the fact he will no longer speak to local media or supporters.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think a mixture of losing interest, disenchantment, and also resentment at the criticism he gets. The latter having played a significant role in the fact he will no longer speak to local media or supporters.

He lost interest etc pretty quickly as Burnley at home he did his usual and not only that seemed quite enthusiastic and optimistic.

Probably more of a slow fade in reality tbh.

Perhaps SL has to some degree thrown in the towel not least due to Parachute Payments and the difficulties of competing with clubs in receipt.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous