IGNORED

Liam Manning at the Hen & Chicken

Sheltons Army

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Sheltons Army I said similar to what you sId on a WhatsApp to @petehinton.

He was everything I thought he’d be - knowledgeable, articulate, humble, and a bonus - with bit of humour thrown in.  I had no issues whatsoever with his other interviews, in fact I thought they were all decent, but tonight he saved that event from being a bit of a flop.

It’s the second time I’ve heard him say he’s never chased the next job, the next role…basically let his work do the talking.  I think we are in good hands.

He is a very good fit for what JL and Tins positioned as what they want.  Let’s hope they support him well.

Yes interesting first week or three. LM looks good, speaks well and seems he might have something about him that could work well with the club/team. Still very worried how much control will BT and SL want to try and take on the team selection. And will SL give him at least some of that nest egg for new players. Because I just don't see a top six side in the current squad. I would love to be proved wrong 

COYR

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Street red said:

Started at Newcastle United then Bradford then Bristol city then scored a goal at Liverpool to make me famous then i cocked up the managers job then I cleared the pathways at HPC then I ousted Phil Alexander then Nigel Pearson then David Rennie then I juggled Jon Lansdowns plums to become Tecknical ( With a k) director.

You forgot the part where he only ever used 1 foot, ever. He would do a whole 360 just to ensure he used his left peg. Awful at taking corners- catching practice for keepers 90% of the time, Massively overrated player. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 5

15 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

You forgot the part where he only ever used 1 foot, ever. He would do a whole 360 just to ensure he used his left peg. Awful at taking corners- catching practice for keepers 90% of the time, Massively overrated player. 

The biggest load of rubbish I have read for a very long time.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

They all spoke with intelligence as well. Tinnion doesn’t 

I think he tries to make up for that with enthusiasm, and I can cut him slack as a result.  I’m not sure JL spoke with intelligence.  Couldn’t answer several questions without waffling around the edges.

48 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

His football intelligence may well be better than mine and he can see a young player with potential. But I fail to see how having unintelligent people in charge of a football club is a good thing. 

Can only assume that’s why GM and TR are part of the new structure.

Also I don’t really know how intelligent / unintelligent he is, he did run his own soccer schools in Spain.  I’ll just be on the fence in that respect.

I haven’t listened to it yet but I’m glad that to many he doesn’t sound like a fraud from the beginning. Unlike some others. 

If he can get something on Wednesday many will have to at least give him half a chance to get us close to top six with a squad JL has told us and him should be there. 

• Admin
3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I haven’t listened to it yet but I’m glad that to many he doesn’t sound like a fraud from the beginning. Unlike some others. 

If he can get something on Wednesday many will have to at least give him half a chance to get us close to top six with a squad JL has told us and him should be there. 

That was only the target for Nige to be allowed to continue in role. Every chance since then they have dialled back expectations.

• Like 1

• Admin
32 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. But it’s late and I might not be that sharp!

Top 6 was never the expectation for this squad.

Comfortable mid-table, pushing top half is.

I think it’s clear the Lansdowns had a personality clash with Nigel.

If you have a difficult employee and he isn’t exceeding expectations, why keep them?

So, for Nige, the target was promotion.

For Liam, it isn’t. (That’s not to say he won’t try or achieve it)

It was only in the immediate aftermath of Nige being removed that they spoke of challenging “at the top end” of the table, every interview situation since, starting from the Friday after, they have talked about progression instead, no hard targets.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Top 6 was never the expectation for this squad.

Comfortable mid-table, pushing top half is.

I think it’s clear the Lansdowns had a personality clash with Nigel.

If you have a difficult employee and he isn’t exceeding expectations, why keep them?

So, for Nige, the target was promotion.

For Liam, it isn’t. (That’s not to say he won’t try or achieve it)

It was only in the immediate aftermath of Nige being removed that they spoke of challenging “at the top end” of the table, every interview situation since, starting from the Friday after, they have talked about progression instead, no hard targets.

You’d be difficult a employee if your employer went out of their way to undermine you at every turn.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 2

• Admin

The answer I liked the most from Liam all evening was his answer to a question about loans.

He spoke of creating depth charts for each position (why don’t we have these already?) and if we see we have a good prospect in the Academy that might be ready in 2 years, that might be a prime opportunity for a loan so as not to block a pathway.

When he says he’s obsessive, I believe him and despite having the lesser title of “Head Coach” I think he can still continue what Nige started and have an influence / improve our overall football operations.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Does that make you a bad?

Clearly you have not worked with charismatic people.

I have (worked with someone who outwardly came across as having no intelligence) and had to constantly correct them, grammar, spelling, maths and so on. Even his wife thought I was the brains behind the business.

But who is now the successful multi millionaire.

And obviously it’s not me.

But I have absolutely no malice or grudges against his sucess, as I and everyone who worked under him, have to this day.

Books and covers.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Does that make you a bad?

Clearly you have not worked with charismatic people.

I have (worked with someone who outwardly came across as having no intelligence) and had to constantly correct them, grammar, spelling, maths and so on. Even his wife thought I was the brains behind the business.

But who is now the successful multi millionaire.

And obviously it’s not me.

But I have absolutely no malice or grudges against his sucess, as I and everyone who worked under him, have to this day.

Books and covers.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

The biggest load of rubbish I have read for a very long time.

Show me a goal where we scored from one of his floaty inny corners! Same routine all time, 2 hands raised above his head the a gentle lofted pass straight to the keeper. Also show me a time when he used his right foot!!!!! He hardly got stuck in either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

His football intelligence may well be better than mine and he can see a young player with potential. But I fail to see how having unintelligent people in charge of a football club is a good thing. 

.............and you still miss my point!

Your quote of: "Haha 4 mistakes there!" makes him unintelligent???

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Living overseas and very reliant on OTIB to get my information about all things City and make my own judgements from the comments I read and watching streams of the games. I was a big supporter of Nige and thought he deserved to be backed with the progress being made, but hey ho that's how it goes. So, after reading these comments, from many of the posters I respect, who were initially skeptical with the appointment of Manning, I am now beginning to feel a sense of relief that my team may be in good hands. Time will tell. But as always COYR.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

He will absolutely manage in the premier league, probably not with us, but I’m convinced after that that he will. Extremely clear communicator, obviously a really talented coach. Anyone who puts him & LJ in the same bracket is crazy. 

No similarity between the two, at all. Apart from taste in knitwear perhaps? 🤔 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian M said:

The answer I liked the most from Liam all evening was his answer to a question about loans.

He spoke of creating depth charts for each position (why don’t we have these already?) and if we see we have a good prospect in the Academy that might be ready in 2 years, that might be a prime opportunity for a loan so as not to block a pathway.

When he says he’s obsessive, I believe him and despite having the lesser title of “Head Coach” I think he can still continue what Nige started and have an influence / improve our overall football operations.

In fairness, I believe we already had one of those (and was implemented by Nige/Tinns) with a % number next to the 23s/18s player in the depth list, with how likely they are to be first team ready if those further up the list leave the club / are injured. Joe James for example will have been incredibly low, hence not being involved at all since cardiff, but he was basically all we had at that position at that time. 

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very obvious he's a football coach obsessive. A coach's coach. 

When he said "I think about football pretty much every minute of every day" - I believed him.

High intensity, and he's going to expect the same level of intensity from everyone around him. 

I have no doubts he's a very good coach, but as you point out, it'll come down to how good his other abilities are like leadership and creating a winning environment. 

Based on tonight, I also have concerns about the people around him, namely the three plebs sat alongside him. 

The guy he's brought in who was at Arsenal sounds interesting though - a coaching analyst? 

How he manages the 3 plebs is key. Managing upwards. 

4 hours ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Show me a goal where we scored from one of his floaty inny corners! Same routine all time, 2 hands raised above his head the a gentle lofted pass straight to the keeper. Also show me a time when he used his right foot!!!!! He hardly got stuck in either. 

And how does all this rubbish you are spouting affect the fantastic job that Tinnion is doing with the Academy.

• Flames 1

35 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Not seen that Stoke of genius in Tinnion.  Let's be honest.

**stroke

But that was not the point being made.

An inability to spell correctly (or potentially dyslexia) does not indicate unintelligence.

(Even ithe inability to correctly spell stroke. :whistle2:)

Sorry, couldn't resist that! :innocent06:

53 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

And how does all this rubbish you are spouting affect the fantastic job that Tinnion is doing with the Academy.

In all fairness, I don’t think anyone has questioned the job Tinnion has done with the academy (although I’d note that success also relies on a manager more than willing to blood players as Pearson did more than anyone could have expected).

What people have - correctly - questioned is why a man who failed as a manager at the level below now seems to be the one we’re looking towards to steer all footballing levels of the club. That in any walk of life is alarming, particularly when that man can’t give consistent and coherent (not in spelling) responses.

As for Tinnion the player vs Tinnion the manager, much as with Lee Johnson it’s reasonable to separate the two (and playing ability as we all hope with Manning isn’t necessarily reflective of coaching ability). I’ve said before that Tinnion wouldn’t touch the best team Id select in the time watching City, and it’s notable that no teams at a higher level came in for him when he played the majority of career at what is now league one. He was a good league one player who stayed with the club because we didn’t get to the next level consistently where we’d have needed to replace him. He wasn’t rubbish and anyone saying that needs to give their head a wobble.

Managerial wise he can’t be classed as anything but a failure. He has done a good job at the academy, but that’s not where he’s manoeuvred himself to now. Thats the concern.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1