IGNORED

Liam Manning at the Hen & Chicken

Sheltons Army

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

He is a bright guy, but weve had so many false dawns over the years, we will have to wait and see if he is any different,, i dont see any reason to think we wont finish 10-15th this season, if manning can get us into the top 6 i will be surprised, and delighted!

It’s the other skill areas as well man management , discipline , team building etc etc that he will also need , that’s my slight ‘concern’ 

As always it’s about whether players buy in and enjoy working with him

Interesting explanation of the Coach Analyst role

Basically a coach who is proficient in using analysis software and analysing, rather than an analyst who does a bit of coaching

Someone who analyses opponents and produces a game plan and then goes on the grass towards the end of the week to do walk thros , shape , 11  v 11 session is an interesting concept 

Not sure what you do when we have midweek games mind ! 🤣

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He will absolutely manage in the premier league, probably not with us, but I’m convinced after that that he will. Extremely clear communicator, obviously a really talented coach. Anyone who puts him & LJ in the same bracket is crazy. 

I hope we get a good sell on clause for him then from Bournemouth. 😂

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He will absolutely manage in the premier league, probably not with us, but I’m convinced after that that he will. Extremely clear communicator, obviously a really talented coach. Anyone who puts him & LJ in the same bracket is crazy. 

Did anyone ask whether there's a 'buyout' clause in his contract with us?!!

@Sheltons Army I said similar to what you sId on a WhatsApp to @petehinton.

He was everything I thought he’d be - knowledgeable, articulate, humble, and a bonus - with bit of humour thrown in.  I had no issues whatsoever with his other interviews, in fact I thought they were all decent, but tonight he saved that event from being a bit of a flop.

It’s the second time I’ve heard him say he’s never chased the next job, the next role…basically let his work do the talking.  I think we are in good hands.

He is a very good fit for what JL and Tins positioned as what they want.  Let’s hope they support him well.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Basically a coach who is proficient in using analysis software and analysing, rather than an analyst who does a bit of coaching

Someone who analyses opponents and produces a game plan and then goes on the grass towards the end of the week to do walk thros , shape , 11  v 11 session is an interesting concept 

I’ve mentioned before that the split-role is something Nige has used too, e.g. Steve Walsh at Leicester - part recruitment / part coach.

I’m fully behind a bloke who can do the computer stuff and translate it into training sessions, and the reverse too.

• Like 1

Very obvious he's a football coach obsessive. A coach's coach. 

When he said "I think about football pretty much every minute of every day" - I believed him.

High intensity, and he's going to expect the same level of intensity from everyone around him. 

I have no doubts he's a very good coach, but as you point out, it'll come down to how good his other abilities are like leadership and creating a winning environment. 

Based on tonight, I also have concerns about the people around him, namely the three plebs sat alongside him. 

The guy he's brought in who was at Arsenal sounds interesting though - a coaching analyst? 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Sheltons Army I said similar to what you sId on a WhatsApp to @petehinton.

He was everything I thought he’d be - knowledgeable, articulate, humble, and a bonus - with bit of humour thrown in.  I had no issues whatsoever with his other interviews, in fact I thought they were all decent, but tonight he saved that event from being a bit of a flop.

It’s the second time I’ve heard him say he’s never chased the next job, the next role…basically let his work do the talking.  I think we are in good hands.

He is a very good fit for what JL and Tins positioned as what they want.  Let’s hope they support him well.

Put on the forum thread , very polished and professional sort of sums it up.

I hope he’s strong enough to resist any interference or too much opinion 

As you say , you’ve headhunted him , support him and let him get on with his job

Head Coach , manager ..... Call them / him what you like -  They should be the football lead and most important voice to consider 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I had a completely open mind when he joined and had done next to nothing on researching him.

A few weeks in and I’m definitely warming to him. He wasn’t the sort to make a massive first impression which is fine but I’m liking what I see in these very early days.

Not taking any interest in the lower leagues I didn’t actually know where Manning had come from, subsequently learning that it was Oxford.

His first public interview on SotC was what you’d expect from a new manager so no clues there but his post QPR interview was more interesting,  so to his pre and post match Boro interviews.

Glad to see that LM came over as a bright and articulate guy with clear answers to questions - whoever compared him to LJ must have been on the wind up………..:cool2:

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

34 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Do the walkthros quicker?

Sounds very technical and very thorough and no doubt is very good at what he does 

but this is how I see it in my world - I might be a very good builder with all my qualifications and years of experience but when I rock up at the building site I have the bricks , I have the cement but no water I ain’t gonna be able to build a very good house ,    Hope you get my drift 

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, redkev said:

Sounds very technical and very thorough and no doubt is very good at what he does 

but this is how I see it in my world - I might be a very good builder with all my qualifications and years of experience but when I rock up at the building site I have the bricks , I have the cement but no water I ain’t gonna be able to build a very good house ,    Hope you get my drift 

Surely if you were a ‘very good builder’ you wouldn’t rock up without water or ensuring it was available ?

;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

How very dare you.

IMG_1930.jpeg

Started at Newcastle United then Bradford then Bristol city then scored a goal at Liverpool to make me famous then i cocked up the managers job then I cleared the pathways at HPC then I ousted Phil Alexander then Nigel Pearson then David Rennie then I juggled Jon Lansdowns plums to become Tecknical ( With a k) director.

• Haha 3

• Admin

Whether it was the more relaxed setting or the comparison with those alongside him on the top table, I thought he displayed a quality that hadn’t been at the forefront to this point, charisma.

As good as someone can be from a technical aspect, personal skills are also key in a leader and I feel more confident in him than I did already before tonight.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Whether it was the more relaxed setting or the comparison with those alongside him on the top table, I thought he displayed a quality that hadn’t been at the forefront to this point, charisma.

As good as someone can be from a technical aspect, personal skills are also key in a leader and I feel more confident in him than I did already before tonight.

Definitely agree on the charisma point.  The only positive I took from the night was how well Liam came across.

• Like 1

Ashton and myself attended tonight (not media for me tonight, just a fan)

Not a great deal of 'new information' of where we are heading into January's transfer window.

Only a few 'younger supporters' attended tonight and as we walked in, Liam was right behind us on arrival. A quick photo and a nice 5 minute chat with the new gaffer.

Liam was very attentive towards Ashton and came across really well. Seems a genuine bloke to be fair.....

Results business though...

20231127_181613.jpg

• Like 7