IGNORED

Younger Generations Wont Know About

downendcity

This came up on my local facebook market place today ( I live between Peterborough and Spalding).

I know it is probably not original, but it got me thinking that there are a couple of things from it that younger fans won't know.

Who is Terry Bly? Terry Bly holds the post war record for most goals in  season in the football league  - 52 for Posh when they came into the football league in the early 60s'. I think there's only a small handful of players who've ever beaten that!

Secondly, how many younger fans will be wondering what is dubbin ? :)

image.png.9c942087be7c174df93a6b4279365373.png  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK; P'boro' were elected to the League in 1960. In their first season, they were Div 4 Champions scoring 123 goals with Terry Bly getting 52 of them.

Ah, local knowledge. 

IIRC your a bit too young to have been around back then.

2 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

It would be interesting(?) to track the smell of a football dressing room through the decades, for me it’s 

1950s.   Brylcream

1960s.   Dubbin

1970s.   Brut (Thanks Mr Keegan)

1980s.   Insignia

1990s.   ????

2000s.  ????

2010s.   ????

2020s.  A posh fragrance of some kind

1990s Deep Heat. Without a shadow. Even if your leg was falling off, a rub of cream into the hamstrings and you were good to go.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

It would be interesting(?) to track the smell of a football dressing room through the decades, for me it’s 

1950s.   Brylcream

1960s.   Dubbin

1970s.   Brut (Thanks Mr Keegan)

1980s.   Insignia

1990s.   ????

2000s.  ????

2010s.   ????

2020s.  A posh fragrance of some kind

Deep heat , SD beat me to it. You never forget it when you are towelling yourself off and some bastard let’s go a can at your crack and sack = Great balls of fire 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

This came up on my local facebook market place today ( I live between Peterborough and Spalding).

I know it is probably not original, but it got me thinking that there are a couple of things from it that younger fans won't know.

Who is Terry Bly? Terry Bly holds the post war record for most goals in  season in the football league  - 52 for Posh when they came into the football league in the early 60s'. I think there's only a small handful of players who've ever beaten that!

Secondly, how many younger fans will be wondering what is dubbin ? :)

image.png.9c942087be7c174df93a6b4279365373.png  

We'll tell them when they are old enough !!

22 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

70's - 80's linament.

Used to protect joints, provide a bit of heat.

Stank the dressing room out.

I suppose it was the forerunner to Deep Heat.

We used to call it horse liniment. Had a very distinctive smell.

If ever I smell Deep Heat it takes me back 50+ years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

As a lad, about 6 or 7 my g’dad bought my first pair of football boots - with a tin of dubbin and nailed in wooden studs. My dad must applied the dubbin as he must have every year as I grew into bigger boots.

It's like you had servants or summink . 🤣
Bit younger than you my boots had screw in studs . I was given new boots and Dubbin , shown and told what to do then I would regularly Dubbin my own boots . 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Anywhere near the Deepings? I lived in Deeping St James for a while a few years back

Yes

Lived in Maxey from 1985 - 2014 then moved Deeping St Nicholas,  where we now are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's like you had servants or summink . 🤣
Bit younger than you my boots had screw in studs . I was given new boots and Dubbin , shown and told what to do then I would regularly Dubbin my own boots . 

Same here.

I used to clean/dubbin my boots every day.

My mum once said to me "why are your shoes a disgrace but your football boots are pristine, its the wrong way round"

Happy days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

As a lad, about 6 or 7 my g’dad bought my first pair of football boots - with a tin of dubbin and nailed in wooden studs. My dad must applied the dubbin as he must have every year as I grew into bigger boots.

My dad overcame that problem by buying me boots that were two sizes too big (11s, I was a 9). My feet stopped at 10, they never fitted properly, so I had to wear thick socks (nightmare when it came to spring).

They were Golas, bought from G.B. Brittons, Kingswood and I bloody loved 'em 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

1990s Deep Heat. Without a shadow. Even if your leg was falling off, a rub of cream into the hamstrings and you were good to go.

Never ever put your tube of Deep Heat in the same place as your Anusol cream, just in case......

Many a time I've suffered 'overspray' of Deep Heat and paid the price 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It’s it a horse with a bit of a cold?

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Football boots used to be all leather and would be very rigid especially when new. Dubbin was a type of wax that was rubbed into the leather to soften it - but you knew that Dave.

No, Dubbin  is a horse with a bit of a cold,:)

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Football boots used to be all leather and would be very rigid especially when new. Dubbin was a type of wax that was rubbed into the leather to soften it - but you knew that Dave.

I used it on my nether regions when going out with a girl i really fancied. Don't like to advertise too early.