IGNORED

Younger Generations Wont Know About

downendcity

45 minutes ago, 22A said:

Sadly not too young. I was born during City's 54/55 promo season.

Same age as me then. 

I might have this wrong, but didn't I give you a lift to Norwich in the play off season 07/08/. If so, I remember you as being much younger than me.

If it wasn't you, then ignore this comment and my stupidity! :)

Edited by downendcity

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If it wasn't you, then ignore this comment and my stupidity! :)

Only went to Norwich when I was serving at nearby RAF Coltishall. 10 years ago there was12 - 14 City  fans with a PB (Peterborough) or CB (Cambridge) postcode. One has moved away and two have passed away. There is / was an OTIB member living at Huntingdon.

37 minutes ago, 22A said:

Only went to Norwich when I was serving at nearby RAF Coltishall. 10 years ago there was12 - 14 City  fans with a PB (Peterborough) or CB (Cambridge) postcode. One has moved away and two have passed away. There is / was an OTIB member living at Huntingdon.

I’m in and around that area too. There’s also a guy I’ve seen I think Chatteris way when I’ve played there, seen a bloke and young lad (possibly his son) on separate occasions wearing a city shirt. Always takes me by surprise that far from home!

Some might know that it is difficult to buy shoe polish from anywhere these days. I tried and failed, apparently it is not environmentally friendly and is not stocked by many shops.

So, I bought a tin of dubbin instead a couple of weeks ago, still available as it is made mostly from wax I think, not oil.

Have used it on my sons school shoes and my walking boots, all good.

The 'shoe cream' they try to flog you instead is absolute rubbish. It might colour the leather but that's all.

This must count as the most boring post today!

4 hours ago, 22A said:

OK; P'boro' were elected to the League in 1960. In their first season, they were Div 4 Champions scoring 123 goals with Terry Bly getting 52 of them.

And next season after their promotion, we played them away quite early in the season.

First time that I saw any behavioural of anger during and after from quite a few of them as we beat them, If I remember correctly it was their first home defeat for three or four seasons as we won 4-3. Bobby Shadow, Etheridge and Gordon Low scored.

Typical City, we lost at home the next week to the Welsh giants, Newport County.

3 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Some might know that it is difficult to buy shoe polish from anywhere these days. I tried and failed, apparently it is not environmentally friendly and is not stocked by many shops.

So, I bought a tin of dubbin instead a couple of weeks ago, still available as it is made mostly from wax I think, not oil.

Have used it on my sons school shoes and my walking boots, all good.

The 'shoe cream' they try to flog you instead is absolute rubbish. It might colour the leather but that's all.

This must count as the most boring post today!

Not even close.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

As a lad, about 6 or 7 my g’dad bought my first pair of football boots - with a tin of dubbin and nailed in wooden studs. My dad must applied the dubbin as he must have every year as I grew into bigger boots.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Football boots used to be all leather and would be very rigid especially when new. Dubbin was a type of wax that was rubbed into the leather to soften it - but you knew that Dave.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

As a lad, about 6 or 7 my g’dad bought my first pair of football boots - with a tin of dubbin and nailed in wooden studs. My dad must applied the dubbin as he must have every year as I grew into bigger boots.

Aye. Think that wer bad? Our family lived in a rented shoe box in the middle of the M32, and had to constantly dodge traffic while working a 48 hour day, 9 days a week, with one meal of tarmac chippings a day. If we were lucky!!

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

We used to call it horse liniment. 

I used to rub it into my groin,but to no avail as it didn't grow any bigger.

Mind you I did finish third in the Derby!

4 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

It would be interesting(?) to track the smell of a football dressing room through the decades, for me it’s 

1950s.   Brylcream

1960s.   Dubbin

1970s.   Brut (Thanks Mr Keegan)

1980s.   Insignia

1990s.   ????

2000s.  ????

2010s.   ????

2020s.  A posh fragrance of some kind

Late 80's ralgex spray(deep heat) comes to mind....

Should be kept well away from the 🔔 😬

50 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Aye. Think that wer bad? Our family lived in a rented shoe box in the middle of the M32, and had to constantly dodge traffic while working a 48 hour day, 9 days a week, with one meal of tarmac chippings a day. If we were lucky!!

Thought you were talking about Eastville for a minute. 

• Robin 1

21 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Late 80's ralgex spray(deep heat) comes to mind....

Should be kept well away from the 🔔 😬

Once used deep heat on a cricket injury many years ago. I had been hit at the top of the thigh muscle by the ball from a fast bowler.

All was fine until I went to sleep. Without the underwear to hold things in place, gravity made the crucial item contact the deep heat. I woke in severe pain in the early hours, rushed to the cold tap in the bathroom.....

Not a good experience.

• Haha 1