IGNORED

Sex Pistols on this day...

spudski

Genesis of a sub-culture that shook the establishment and kind of took over. Malcolm McLaren described those times as igniting a bomb and he was supposed to be in control of it. Nothing of the sort! He had to get the band out of the studios and into a car immediately before the old bill arrived.

Meanwhile old Bill Grundy himself found he wasn't trusted by any producers and effectively was retired from the business, involuntarily. His son Tim became a TV presenter and always blamed this incident for his father's demise.

Those were indeed the days.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Meanwhile old Bill Grundy himself found he wasn't trusted by any producers and effectively was retired from the business

Funny how Grundy said 'Their heroes are not the nice clean Rolling Stones'. Clearly didn't know much about that band!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Genesis of a sub-culture that shook the establishment and kind of took over. Malcolm McLaren described those times as igniting a bomb and he was supposed to be in control of it. Nothing of the sort! He had to get the band out of the studios and into a car immediately before the old bill arrived.

Meanwhile old Bill Grundy himself found he wasn't trusted by any producers and effectively was retired from the business, involuntarily. His son Tim became a TV presenter and always blamed this incident for his father's demise.

Those were indeed the days.

Not for me - different generation.

I thought the whole punk scene was a bunch of young guys have a blast using music as a vehicle. Lots of peeps of my generation knew that the punk phase wouldn’t last - and it didn’t.

The only song that I can remember from back then was “we are pretty vacant” by the sex pistols.

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not for me - different generation.

I thought the whole punk scene was a bunch of young guys have a blast using music as a vehicle. Lots of peeps of my generation knew that the punk phase wouldn’t last - and it didn’t.

The only song that I can remember from back then was “we are pretty vacant” by the sex pistols.

On the contrary, I'd say punk has had a massive and long-lasting influence on the music scene. 45 years on, the DIY ethos it gave birth to has massively changed how people make and produce music. Obviously the Sex Pistols didn't last too long (although Johnny Rotten has had sustained a career with PIL and other projects) but a lot of bands from that era had a legacy, influence and often a career that lasted today. I was born six years after punk and have grown up around music and people influenced by it. Not really accurate to say it "didn't last".

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

On the contrary, I'd say punk has had a massive and long-lasting influence on the music scene. 45 years on, the DIY ethos it gave birth to has massively changed how people make and produce music. Obviously the Sex Pistols didn't last too long (although Johnny Rotten has had sustained a career with PIL and other projects) but a lot of bands from that era had a legacy, influence and often a career that lasted today. I was born six years after punk and have grown up around music and people influenced by it. Not really accurate to say it "didn't last".

Spot on, the shock waves of the punk explosion are still reverberating loud, nearly 50 years on. 

The Pistols (and their peers The Ramones, Clash, Jam etc) are as important and influential as Elvis, The Beatles and the Stones. They changed the world profoundly, and indirectly affected everything that's happened since, in a real positive way. 

Edited by City Rocker
Punctuation
  • Like 5

46 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Spot on, the shock waves of the punk explosion are still reverberating loud, nearly 50 years on. 

The Pistols (and their peers The Ramones, Clash, Jam etc) are as important and influential as Elvis, The Beatles and the Stones. They changed the world profoundly, and indirectly affected everything that's happened since, in a real positive way. 

All of this. Music had got into a boring old rut. Punk/new wave was like a shot in the arm and changed music forever, and for the good.

Edited by Red Shadow
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

All of this. Music had got into a boring old rut. Punk/new wave was like a shot in the arm and changed music forever, and for the good.

On a related note, how refreshing it's been to hear Hurry Up Harry by Sham 69 played pre-match down the Gate in recent games, in tribute to Cornick. 

I've said elsewhere, much as I admire Herman's Hermits, if ever there were a band whose songs were literally written for shouting at the top of your voice on the football terrace, it's Sham 69!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

This. Music in the mid seventies was largely bland disco crap with a few notable exceptions. Punk kicked things on and brought what came after. - New Romantic, the Manc indie scene, Grunge and Britpop. Even the disco got better with Nile Rodgers and co!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

This. Music in the mid seventies was largely bland disco crap with a few notable exceptions. Punk kicked things on and brought what came after. - New Romantic, the Manc indie scene, Grunge and Britpop. Even the disco got better with Nile Rodgers and co!

I’m with you on that, a lot of disco and prog rock shite …..and then the Pistols ….kind of changed EVERYTHING…..in a very good way! 

• Like 1

Punk was a massively exagerated response to the safe and cushy music scene in this country in the early/mid 70s. The music companies were totally in control. They told us what was good, what we should aspire to, what to listen to. We were merely the consumers. The spark initially created in America ignited a different rocket over there but caused a huge explosion over here. It was not only a type of music, it was a whole culture (or counter-culture, if you will). Not only did the style of music change, the whole experience of life for teenagers did. What had been an increasing tension and discontent in the 70s found a release. And what a release.

Punk was so full of fury, so full of passion, so full of attitude it could not continue at the same rate. It was too fast to live, too powerful to die. The white heat burned brightly, but not for long. It's true that the shockwaves are still reverberating today, albeit in quieter waves.

Could you imagine what our music landscape would sound like today if it wasn't for Punk?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Bollocks is a rock masterpiece.

Great band, great humour, a great era for music. Love it.

At the time they were heavily criticised, they said they couldn’t play ffs…what they actually meant was that they are one of the tightest bands on the planet, even now. Steve Jones’ guitar playing is sublime as is Matlocks and along with Paul Cook on drums and Johns unmistakable vocal they are just brilliant! 

Very hard to pick a favourite track but if I had to:

Bodies 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

At the time they were heavily criticised, they said they couldn’t play ffs…what they actually meant was that they are one of the tightest bands on the planet, even now. Steve Jones’ guitar playing is sublime as is Matlocks and along with Paul Cook on drums and Johns unmistakable vocal they are just brilliant! 

Very hard to pick a favourite track but if I had to:

Bodies 

No Feelings 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 09:08, spudski said:

...how cringeworthy is this looking back. 

Literally everything. 

Different times. 

They played the game.

Perfectly.

Situationism.

The power of the spectacle.

The spectacle fed the column inches.

And publicity good and bad is opportunity.

The filth and the fury was opportunity to be used.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

They played the game.

Perfectly.

Situationism.

The power of the spectacle.

The spectacle fed the column inches.

And publicity good and bad is opportunity.

The filth and the fury was opportunity to be used.

Yep... manufactured boy band. With an instruction to be offensive. Definitely worked back then. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Yep... manufactured boy band. With an instruction to be offensive. Definitely worked back then. 

Clever chaps ahead of their time and setting it for the future.

Responsible for an album that changed the face of music.

Somebody should have hid never mind the bollocks from Green Day mind you.

On 01/12/2023 at 12:30, Slippin cider said:

Never Mind the Bollocks - still an absolute blinding album , superb! 

I remember the headlines in the press after this Grundy show went out …exactly what McLaren wanted .

The Bollocks was one of the best albums ever made. Rise up, rebel, **** the establishment, great times. The Pistols Reunion gig at The Brixton Academy 2007 is pure class if you haven’t seen it - on YouTube. Jonathan Ross et al.

Edited by fisherrich

On 01/12/2023 at 20:15, City Rocker said:

On a related note, how refreshing it's been to hear Hurry Up Harry by Sham 69 played pre-match down the Gate in recent games, in tribute to Cornick. 

I've said elsewhere, much as I admire Herman's Hermits, if ever there were a band whose songs were literally written for shouting at the top of your voice on the football terrace, it's Sham 69!

Sham 69 still play The Fleece once a year. Usually November, and it is a bloody good night still.