IGNORED

Impatience

Charlie BCFC

Whilst today wasn’t a great result some of the stuff I’ve seen online and at the Gate thrown at the manager is incredibly clueless.

Manning is very clearly playing a new style of play to Pearson which we have seen since he’s been in charge. We may not be as direct but we look a lot better on the ball and in the Boro game and first halves of Southampton and today we look very threatening going forward. We now need to improve on second halves and putting away more chances.

I was always behind Pearson, but for the people who want Manning out now. Why doesn’t he deserve more of a chance than Pearson did in his opening few games?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Whilst today wasn’t a great result some of the stuff I’ve seen online and at the Gate thrown at the manager is incredibly clueless.

Manning is very clearly playing a new style of play to Pearson which we have seen since he’s been in charge. We may not be as direct but we look a lot better on the ball and in the Boro game and first halves of Southampton and today we look very threatening going forward. We now need to improve on second halves and putting away more chances.

I was always behind Pearson, but for the people who want Manning out now. Why doesn’t he deserve more of a chance than Pearson did in his opening few games?

Who wants Manning out? I’ve seen a few posts of frustration but I’ve not seen a single one wanting him sacked? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Not a case of Manning out, as it wasn’t with Pearson. The board though have dug themselves a large hole here and it’s them I would suggest is where the frustration lies. Not that it really matters as the Lansdown won’t give two hoots what the fans think. 

The reasoning may be different but this has the potential to be a similar situation to LJ. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Who wants Manning out? I’ve seen a few posts of frustration but I’ve not seen a single one wanting him sacked? 

If you’re talking on the forum @formerly known as ivan clearly wants him gone. Most of them I have seen are on Twitter and at the Gate, which is incredibly fickle after 4 games 

12 minutes ago, not_for_you said:

I don’t want (and haven’t seen any comments anywhere wanting) Manning out now, but I think it’s fair to offer criticism in places  given what we’ve witnessed in a 4 game spell.

But, to answer your final point Pearson took over a dumpster fire of a situation. A poor side who couldn’t buy a win & looked like a relegation team at the end under Holden. The club needed drastic change & thankfully got it under Pearsons stewardship.

Manning inherited a team that 8 days before Pearson was sacked were 8th in the league just 1 point off the playoffs. He’s got a team that could compete in the division and was in no danger of being dragged into a relegation battle. Therefore he won’t get the same patience Pearson got because everything is set up for the club to kick on & he’s been bigged up as the missing ingredient required to enable us to progress. 

As much as the situation was awful at the time easy to forget we were 8th (somehow) and 3 points off playoffs a couple of weeks before Holden was sacked. He’s of course got us into a great position now but Manning deserves the same patience Pearson had, some of the football I’ve seen over the past few games in one half of football is some of the best we’ve played for years. If we get those last details right then there’s no reason why we can’t challenge for top 6

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

If you’re talking on the forum @formerly known as ivan clearly wants him gone. Most of them I have seen are on Twitter and at the Gate, which is incredibly fickle after 4 games 

As much as the situation was awful at the time easy to forget we were 8th (somehow) and 3 points off playoffs a couple of weeks before Holden was sacked. He’s of course got us into a great position now but Manning deserves the same patience Pearson had, some of the football I’ve seen over the past few games in one half of football is some of the best we’ve played for years. If we get those last details right then there’s no reason why we can’t challenge for top 6

I don’t want Manning gone, but I never wanted him in! Pearson should still be here. I want the board gone. Manning being unsuccessful shows the boards complete incompetence.

Manning was bought in to move the club forward. He had everything in place to do so according to those who decided he was going to be our saviour. Until this happens he will get criticised by me and others.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Until we sign someone who can put away the chances that Tommy can't, and is comfortable playing in the current system, we aren't going to get anywhere different than our current situation. Tommy is clearly badly out of form and I don't think it suits his game playing as we are.

Surely we can't expect to sign someone new every time a player has a few weeks of poor form?

Conway is a good striker at this level, and will only get better. No need to panic.

• Like 6

And he will probably be judge more harshly under the circumstances he came in. We had a popular manager who was building steadily and fans were patient with. The board decided it wasn’t good enough and want promotion, Manning the one being chosen by them and agreeing to take the task on. That’s just how it is. Succeed and get the fans behind him. Unfortunately after 4 games I struggle to see that happening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t want Manning gone, but I never wanted him in! Pearson should still be here. I want the board gone. Manning being unsuccessful shows the boards complete incompetence.

Manning was bought in to move the club forward. He had everything in place to do so according to those who decided he was going to be our saviour. Until this happens he will get criticised by me and others.

But wouldn’t you say that’s unfair on Manning when he’s had 4 games? We need to move on from Pearson, as much as I thought the decision was harsh performances were really poor for weeks and that’s even when we had the players

• Like 1

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

That’s precisely what the OP was saying though - impatience. I didn’t want Pearson sacked, but no-one can reasonably judge whether Manning will be successful or unsuccessful after just 4 games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Surely we can't expect to sign someone new every time a player has a few weeks of poor form?

Conway is a good striker at this level, and will only get better. No need to panic.

Agree Conway can come good but he needs competition, his attitude is clearly in the right place as he stayed behind at international duty to train to improve here. Whether that’s Wells coming back from injury or a new man, we need a main source of goals

7 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I like Tommy but he is right off it at the moment and I don't think it suits his game playing as we are. If he had put away some of the presentable chances he's had in the last few games we would likely be 4 points better off. We need an alternative. Playing Sykes on the left hasn't helped him either.

Edited by Roger Red Hat

Manning should never have been brought in, its not his fault or most of the prev managers JL/SL have pulled out of that hat, by the law of averages they got lucky last time, but couldnt see that then dumped him giving the reason that we need to move on, none so blind as those who cannot see.

5 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

But wouldn’t you say that’s unfair on Manning when he’s had 4 games? We need to move on from Pearson, as much as I thought the decision was harsh performances were really poor for weeks and that’s even when we had the players

Again, if you think it’s unfair then blame the board and the expectations they have set. Manning didn’t come in with the ship sinking, needing to turn things around. He came in inheriting a “top 6 squad”. He has the job of getting the squad where the board expect them to be and where Pearson was failing. There are no signs of that happening within the first four games. It’s been worse than it was before he came in! Boring, possession based football with little for fans to be excited about.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The frustration isn’t REALLY on Manning, it’s on the ownership for forcing us through another transition when we really didn’t need one. Whoever came in was drinking from a poisoned chalice.

Nige had patience in his early tenure as 1) he took over a shit show and 2) he was a well known and respected manager who came in to save us. 

Sacking Pearson was dumb and will have long lasting repercussions - as many of us suspected.

Absolutely nailed it with this post. 

It’s exactly this. Manning has obtained a job most didn’t want vacant, but the reaction on here isn’t really about him. 

Whoever came in was going to have an extremely steep climb coming into this position. Based on Lansdown’s assertions he was never going to get time though, although again I think it’s more about Lansdown.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Again, if you think it’s unfair then blame the board and the expectations they have set. Manning didn’t come in with the ship sinking, needing to turn things around. He came in inheriting a “top 6 squad”. He has the job of getting the squad where the board expect them to be and where Pearson was failing. There are no signs of that happening within the first four games. It’s been worse than it was before he came in! Boring, possession based football with little for fans to be excited about.

All about opinions but I disagree, performances were getting worse before Pearson was sacked. Went to one of the best teams in the league on Wednesday and deserved a point, first half today we should’ve been two up and against Boro we played very well against one of the form teams in the league. Is still very early days but overall I can see the progress

45 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The frustration isn’t REALLY on Manning, it’s on the ownership for forcing us through another transition when we really didn’t need one. Whoever came in was drinking from a poisoned chalice.

Nige had patience in his early tenure as 1) he took over a shit show and 2) he was a well known and respected manager who came in to save us. 

Sacking Pearson was dumb and will have long lasting repercussions - as many of us suspected.

My issue is if we put unnecessary pressure on LM  and don't give him a chance, because of how stupid the ownership were in the sacking (and in particular the reasons they gave) then we risk ruining the work NP did. He shouldn't have gone, but he left us with a superb platform to build on and LM is a manager with great potential, I think we need to give him time. 

• Like 3

JL - “I believe we’ve got a good squad. It’s probably one of the best since I’ve been involved”

“Ultimately WE made the decision because WE believe the squad’s good enough and we believe in it. Um, if WE didn’t then why make a change?”

BT - “It’s a squad that should be at the top end of the division. So yeah, I think there’s a lot of belief in the building, there’s a lot of belief in the staff, and um, yeah that’s a DEFINITE for us this season is to be at the TOP END”

”The squad is really competitive and they’re the best group of players we’ve had at this club for a long time”

Deluded 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It’s not impatience, it’s frustration and anger that what we’ve wanted for so many seasons, we finally had, and it was ripped from us to now have ANOTHER new manager who’s now, suddenly after today, talking about fixing the past, issue of the past, bla bla. 

I really like him and think (hope) he’ll do well, but it screams of ‘will need 4 windows to make his mark properly’ type narrative which everyone is just tired of. 

We had a clear identity that was working & we could get behind, now suddenly we’re going against what we’ve been good at for more patient play, I.e Belly becoming a back to goal, link up winger, when he’s had a great start to the season being set free chasing the ball. Suddenly Jason Knight today was expected to be our creative outlet, and has basically been a second striker in each game Manning has had. 

The only way it works, is by them going against their lies and actually allowing money to be spend in January. But then we’d all see the last 7/8 weeks for what it really is. 

• Like 3

Who set the expectations? It wasn't the fans. This was the missing piece, the end of the Jigsaw.

This wasn't a team falling to pieces, or one which has lost faith in manager or anywhere close to going down.

That doesn't happen often.

There is a reason you judge from game 1/2/3....because essentially that was the job spec; to push on from day 1. Not building blocks, not next season...here and now.

The fans didn't set that.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

overall I can see the progress

I can see change, but not sure, net, it’s progress yet. Think some of the ball retention is then resulting in us getting through the lines to the final third (ie it’s not just sideways). But we’re also setting up to be less effective on the break. And whichever route, improved decision making and execution in the final third is still needed (for top six). Defensively changes less obvious to me and given some individual errors, would need to see more games to be confident in whether we’re getting stronger or weaker. I was very much in the camp of keeping NP, but the only plausible reason for changing him requires a change in style of play and reasonable to give LM time to achieve that. My biggest concern about today was probably body language, which didn’t seem to have quite the togetherness/energy we’re used to, but get that maybe due to getting used to new systems and being frustrated as a result, aka growing pains. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I can see change, but not sure, net, it’s progress yet

Yep, well put.  Change isn’t necessarily progress, some change will be good, some will be bad.  Some might be a combo of both, cause and effect.

I posted in the week that I’d seen some small differences but none that had made much difference and not in terms of overall performance.  That’s not criticism, just what I’ve seen.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

It’s not impatience, it’s frustration and anger that what we’ve wanted for so many seasons, we finally had, and it was ripped from us to now have ANOTHER new manager who’s now, suddenly after today, talking about fixing the past, issue of the past, bla bla. 

I really like him and think (hope) he’ll do well, but it screams of ‘will need 4 windows to make his mark properly’ type narrative which everyone is just tired of. 

We had a clear identity that was working & we could get behind, now suddenly we’re going against what we’ve been good at for more patient play, I.e Belly becoming a back to goal, link up winger, when he’s had a great start to the season being set free chasing the ball. Suddenly Jason Knight today was expected to be our creative outlet, and has basically been a second striker in each game Manning has had. 

The only way it works, is by them going against their lies and actually allowing money to be spend in January. But then we’d all see the last 7/8 weeks for what it really is. 

Good post and agree with most of that Pete but I’d say we saw this for what it was in Lansdown’s interviews when Nige was sacked. 

They jumped the shark, we saw behind the curtain. I don’t think the relationship will ever be the same. 

If Manning does well and we get promoted then fantastic, but it won’t change what transpired. 

• Like 1

Manning did come over as a bit clueless today, he set the team up wrong to start with and seamed slow to see the issues, then most the changes he made actually made things worst it wasn't until the change up top with 10 to go that we finally started to look a bit better, 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One Team said:

Good post and agree with most of that Pete but I’d say we saw this for what it was in Lansdown’s interviews when Nige was sacked. 

They jumped the shark, we saw behind the curtain. I don’t think the relationship will ever be the same. 

If Manning does well and we get promoted then fantastic, but it won’t change what transpired. 

I think it’s become quite clear that they wanted Manning to be our next head coach when Nige went, thought we could tread water until next summer when Nige was OOC, but got shit scared Manning would either get Oxford up or someone else would poach him. Hence the awful timing and grim rhetoric.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Bang on.

The danger is that the fans turn too quickly on Manning through no fault of his own, when really he needs and deserves time to build the team as he wants. There are already signs of that, despite a not-terrible start.

The board are to blame for all of this.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Who set the expectations? It wasn't the fans. This was the missing piece, the end of the Jigsaw.

This wasn't a team falling to pieces, or one which has lost faith in manager or anywhere close to going down.

That doesn't happen often.

There is a reason you judge from game 1/2/3....because essentially that was the job spec; to push on from day 1. Not building blocks, not next season...here and now.

The fans didn't set that.

Spot on. Great post. 

Supporters are moaning because apparently as JL said….we’ve got one of the best squads he’s seen and our aim is the Premier League. They made the change because they expect this team to finish top end of the Championship THIS SEASON, otherwise why make a change?

This is the hiding to nothing that has been created for Liam Manning solely by JL, BT and SL.

Deluded shit show.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1