IGNORED

West 'Am - Sunday 7th Jan. 2pm

cheese

1 minute ago, pj76 said:

I have limited experience of this, but at Hull away this season people sat in their allocated seats. 

With this being a sell-out, and the likelihood of families attending I imagine people will be sitting in their allocated seats, especially with the rails. 

Thank you for this. Are all the seats in the upper tier rail seats or just a section? 

31 minutes ago, bcfcshorey said:

What pubs are people aiming for?

I'd normally recommend the pubs around Hackney Wick, but they all don't open until 12 on a Sunday.

The best option in Stratford I can find that I'm pretty sure are open to away fans is The Sportsman (Formally known as The Goose) https://www.greatukpubs.co.uk/sportsman-stratford
It's about a 20-25 min walk away from the away end.

Other options are the spoons in Stratford (Golden Grove) or Liverpool St (Hamilton Hall).

The pubs/bars nearer the stadium like Tap East, Bat & Ball and The Cow are Home Fans only, but you'd probably be okay without colours on.

Be prepared to spend a fortune on food and beer in the concourse, probably the most expensive concourse in London. Pubs in Stratford few and far between, the Cow in Westfield is decent but not a football fans pub and gets booked. 

22 minutes ago, pj76 said:

I have limited experience of this, but at Hull away this season people sat in their allocated seats. 

With this being a sell-out, and the likelihood of families attending I imagine people will be sitting in their allocated seats, especially with the rails. 

With a big away section completely sold out, it will be chaos if people don't sit in their allocated seats.  Groups arriving at the last minute will be looking for empty seats together, or eventually any empty seat at all (probably squeezed between two fat blokes).  Some might say it's their fault for not getting there earlier, but I doubt they'll see it that way (and nor should they) 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bcfcshorey said:

I'd normally recommend the pubs around Hackney Wick, but they all don't open until 12 on a Sunday.

The best option in Stratford I can find that I'm pretty sure are open to away fans is The Sportsman (Formally known as The Goose) https://www.greatukpubs.co.uk/sportsman-stratford
It's about a 20-25 min walk away from the away end.

Other options are the spoons in Stratford (Golden Grove) or Liverpool St (Hamilton Hall).

The pubs/bars nearer the stadium like Tap East, Bat & Ball and The Cow are Home Fans only, but you'd probably be okay without colours on.

We’re jumping off at Liverpool Street and the Hamilton hall spoons 

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

If any West Ham fans read this forum, bring a blanket and small pillow with you next Sunday. We will ensure you are nodding off by half time. Right, left, left, right, right ,left, hump ball long, lose possession. Repeat for 90 minutes, until we concede.

This is just reactionary, fickle nonsense.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Be prepared to spend a fortune on food and beer in the concourse, probably the most expensive concourse in London. Pubs in Stratford few and far between, the Cow in Westfield is decent but not a football fans pub and gets booked. 

I used to live above the row of shops where the Spoons is in Stratford so know the pubs well. Spoons won't have an issue with Away fans and probably the cheapest pint around there and will be open early. Most of the nicer pubs don't open til midday.

The Cow is very much a home fans pub. Went there pre-match when me and my Forest supporting mate went in the West Ham end for their match, plenty of hammers fans in there. Same for Tap East that was standing room only (it's a CAMRA Good Beer Guide pub). 

1 hour ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Morning all. Well, yesterday was about as limp a start to a new year as we could have imagined…but there’s always the cup! 

Sunday will be my son’s first away game and my first for a while, so I’m a little out of touch on away days! I collected our tickets yesterday and I see that it’s allocated seating…in reality though, do people abide by these or does it become a free for all? 

Looking forward to a fun day out with 9k City fans…less excited at the complexities of rail travel given the disruption of works/strikes. 

This splits opinion, but my view is that when an away end is sold out with a large following, it's much fairer on everyone and causes a lot less grief if we all go to our allocated seats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to this game with my 13 year old in the safe standing area. He's about average height for his age. Does anyone have experience of being in a safe standing area with young people - is he likely to be able to see the game clearly?

Obviously this will depend to some extent on who's in front of him, but just wondered generally if it's an issue. I know some safe standing areas in other stadiums don't permit children. The rake looks fairly steep in the upper tier, so I'm hoping it will be OK.

30 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This splits opinion, but my view is that when an away end is sold out with a large following, it's much fairer on everyone and causes a lot less grief if we all go to our allocated seats.

Agreed. And, given I’m taking my 12 year old son, I’ll be happier knowing we can sit in the seats we’ve been allocated. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, frenchred said:

There's literally thousands of pubs in London!

It's not like Bristol,  you can drink miles away and just hop on a tube for the game.

Are the tubes running? Isn't there a strike planned for this weekend?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Are the tubes running? Isn't there a strike planned for this weekend?

The full strike day is the day after I believe, some members are striking Sunday but no one knows the impact this will have

There are no strikes on the Elizabeth line

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

The full strike day is the day after I believe, some members are striking Sunday but no one knows the impact this will have

No strikes, but a reduced service on that line this Sunday….actually, just checked this and it won’t affect travel between Stratford and Paddington. 

Edited by Hartleysbeard

12 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

No strikes, but a reduced service on that line this Sunday….actually, just checked this and it won’t affect travel between Stratford and Paddington. 

That said. Only one train per hour on the Elizabeth line so for those travelling back to Paddington, suspect the central line trains, which depart frequently from Stratford, will be a better option. 

11 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

That said. Only one train per hour on the Elizabeth line so for those travelling back to Paddington, suspect the central line trains, which depart frequently from Stratford, will be a better option. 

Are you sure about the one train an hour thing? This is from the TFL site:

ELIZABETH LINE: Sunday 7 January, a reduced service operates between Paddington and Maidenhead / Heathrow. Heathrow Terminal 4, West Drayton, Langley, Slough, Burnham and Maidenhead will be served by two trains an hour. West Ealing will be served by four trains an hour. Ealing Broadway, Southall and Hayes & Harlington will be served by six trains per hour.

2 hours ago, bcfcshorey said:

Liverpool Street will be a good option. Not many places around Stratford will allow away fans. The Hamilton Hall Wetherspoons will be extremely popular (i.e. busy). There are loads of other places around Liverpool Street that would be good: Kings Arms, Railway Tavern to name a couple. 

2 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Sunday will be my son’s first away game and my first for a while, so I’m a little out of touch on away days! I collected our tickets yesterday and I see that it’s allocated seating…in reality though, do people abide by these or does it become a free for all? 

It is inevitable with any away trip, sold out or not, that the majority will take the attitude of you can sit/stand where you like. Birmingham was sold out and we just stood somewhere where there was a space. It largely comes down to how strict the West Ham stewards will be. My personal advice would be to not be too particular about where you're sitting. If someone mentions you're in their seat then politely move and then find somewhere else. Obviously the preferred approach would be that everyone sits in their allocated sit but it's unrealistic to expect that will happen.  

14 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Are you sure about the one train an hour thing? This is from the TFL site:

ELIZABETH LINE: Sunday 7 January, a reduced service operates between Paddington and Maidenhead / Heathrow. Heathrow Terminal 4, West Drayton, Langley, Slough, Burnham and Maidenhead will be served by two trains an hour. West Ealing will be served by four trains an hour. Ealing Broadway, Southall and Hayes & Harlington will be served by six trains per hour.

Just going by the timetable…which I’ve clearly misread! Ignore me! 

Edited by Hartleysbeard
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wokingham Red said:

Liverpool Street will be a good option. Not many places around Stratford will allow away fans. The Hamilton Hall Wetherspoons will be extremely popular (i.e. busy). There are loads of other places around Liverpool Street that would be good: Kings Arms, Railway Tavern to name a couple. 

It is inevitable with any away trip, sold out or not, that the majority will take the attitude of you can sit/stand where you like. Birmingham was sold out and we just stood somewhere where there was a space. It largely comes down to how strict the West Ham stewards will be. My personal advice would be to not be too particular about where you're sitting. If someone mentions you're in their seat then politely move and then find somewhere else. Obviously the preferred approach would be that everyone sits in their allocated sit but it's unrealistic to expect that will happen.  

some people have specifically paid for upper or lower, seated or standing. I would hope people will stay in their specific section.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Am looking to get the Elizabeth line from Reading but abit confused as to get to Stratford from there cos of so said strikes/reduced timetables 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Am looking to get the Elizabeth line from Reading but abit confused as to get to Stratford from there cos of so said strikes/reduced timetables 🤷‍♂️

Its quite a trek from reading, but no strikes so direct to Stratford you should be ok

• Thanks 1

• Admin
29 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

There is no direct service from Reading to Stratford, they go from Heathrow

You will still need to get to Paddington

Then on arrival head to the right hand side of the station, by the exit for Eastbourne Terrace there is the tube Elizabeth line entrance

Take platform A to Stratford - Destination is either Shenfield or Gidea Park

Journey is about 20 minutes and run about every 10 minutes

If you want specific times, let me know what time you are going to be at a certain station

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1