IGNORED

What becomes of the broken hearted?

The Constant Rabbit

Some of our players were completely transformed by Nige - the social media stuff in praise of Nigel after he was sacked said it all - pretty unanimous from past and present players.

I wonder if with Liam, they feel cheated, robbed of an ethos and project they all committed and bought into?

Certainly Conway looks devastated, Vyner has regressed, and the whole team look.......disinterested.

When Nige came in, he set a bar - you reached that bar, you were 'on the bus'.

Nige always left the door open for players - you do this, and as far as I am concerned, the slate is clear.

Most bought in. We saw this many times. The ones that didn't - well they were moved on - but the point remains - they were given a chance to redeem, and be a part of something potentially special.

They 100% believed in Nigel Pearson, his work ethic, his standards and we saw it on the pitch.

Sure, it was a lot of 3 steps forward, 5 steps back - but overall, things were gradually improving, and with a couple more players in pre-season, this squad could have gone places.

So now you have men who had committed the last 3 years of their working lives to the vision and standards of one man - who, for reasons we all know, has been discarded in an incredibly disrespectful way.

And in comes his replacement - and he proceeds to tell them that all they worked for over the last 3 years no longer matters, and it's his way now.

And that's fine.

It's Liams team now, his rules.

But I suspect very strongly, that they are still NIGELS players, and until this disparity is corrected, then this will be a long hard season.

It's a perfect storm of disgruntled players, inexperienced  coaches, non-existent upper management, and a culture, once again, of zero accountability and nepotism - things Nigel worked so very very hard to change.

If we lose another 3 or 4 in the next 5, then this current stagnation could very well turn into a genuine freefall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 4

Jesus, haven't we all had enough of fans projecting their own feeling onto players?  As Matt James said when asked about Nigel's departure,  managers departing clubs is part and parcel of football.  Yes, I'm sure players that Nige was picking will find it unsettling, but I suspect most are pretty focussed on themselves and being successful as a team despite Nige departing.  And certainly players that weren't being picked every week e.g. Mehmeti, will probably be glad of the chance to impress a new manager.

As for what's gonna happen over the next games, let's not catastrophize.  Let's just see how things unfold.  

• Like 12
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3

23 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Some of our players were completely transformed by Nige - the social media stuff in praise of Nigel after he was sacked said it all - pretty unanimous from past and present players.

I wonder if with Liam, they feel cheated, robbed of an ethos and project they all committed and bought into?

Certainly Conway looks devastated, Vyner has regressed, and the whole team look.......disinterested.

Nige always left the door open for players - you do this, and as far as I am concerned, the slate is clear.

Most bought in. We saw this many times. The ones that didn't - well they were moved on - but the point remains - they were given a chance to redeem, and be a part of something potentially special.

They 100% believed in Nigel Pearson, his work ethic, his standards and we saw it on the pitch.

Sure, it was a lot of 3 steps forward, 5 steps back - but overall, things were gradually improving, and with a couple more players in pre-season, this squad could have gone places.

So now you have men who had committed the last 3 years of their working lives to the vision and standards of one man - who, for reasons we all know, has been discarded in an incredibly disrespectful way.

And in comes his replacement - and he proceeds to tell them that all they worked for over the last 3 years no longer matters, and it's his way now.

And that's fine.

But I suspect very strongly, that they are still NIGELS players, and until this disparity is corrected, then this will be a long hard season.

It's a perfect storm of disgruntled players, inexperienced  coaches, non-existent upper management, and a culture, once again, of zero accountability and nepotism - things Nigel worked so very very hard to change.

If we lose another 3 or 4 in the next 5, then this current stagnation could very well turn into a genuine freefall.

Just interested - why when you’ve commented exactly this on the below post does it need a new thread? If people want to react it’ll find its place there 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just interested - why when you’ve commented exactly this on the below post does it need a new thread? If people want to react it’ll find its place there 

Because I thought it wouldn't be seen and I wanted peoples thoughts.

Sorry if any distress caused prompted you to seek medical attention.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

And that's fine.

Try singing this and you'll feel better... 

• Haha 2

I’m sure that some of the players might be feeling unsettled. New coach, new tactics, more uncertainty. Consistency can often bring its own rewards in terms of belief and confidence, which ultimately can be the margin between success and failure. Which goes back to what has also been posted in another thread about a new coach immediately imposing his style on the players rather than looking at what they do best and adapting your approach accordingly. Evolution rather than revolution if you like. And if you want the most obvious example of a team downing tools under a new manager, then it has to be 1974 Leeds under Clough. The book wasn’t called the “Damned United” for nothing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

Jesus, haven't we all had enough of fans projecting their own feeling onto players?  As Matt James said when asked about Nigel's departure,  managers departing clubs is part and parcel of football.  Yes, I'm sure players that Nige was picking will find it unsettling, but I suspect most are pretty focussed on themselves and being successful as a team despite Nige departing.  And certainly players that weren't being picked every week e.g. Mehmeti, will probably be glad of the chance to impress a new manager.

As for what's gonna happen over the next games, let's not catastrophize.  Let's just see how things unfold.  

You carry on taking what players say in interviews as gospel. 

You can take what the Lansdowns or Tinnion say in interviews as gospel while you are at it.

When you quote Matty James, it makes a total mockery of your point.

If you think he isn't as bewildered as most of the fan base at NP's departure, then with respect, you are naive. 

If you think that he is doing anything else than giving lip service to the people that he relies on for his wages, regardless of his actual opinion, then with respect, you are an idiot. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

And that's fine.

You say what you think fella. We have free speech and you can say what you think where you like

The overwhelming majority agree with you. Only Bristol city can bring in an untried lower league manager, throw money at him, which is clearly what is going to happen for Manning to get “his team” AGAIN and expect a different result. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

If players can't get over a manager being sacked they won't make it in football

You are right. However they typically find a better club to get over it at!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the OP is correct in what he's saying especially with the younger players, those Pearson trained, coached, motivated and eventually selected.

Those players especially believed in him and those other senior pros at the club.

Those relationships weaken at a time of change and younger players can easily lose their way in bit and unfortunately, confidence goes to.

Players like Vyner and Pring were dropped for a while as they were obviously under performing in Pearsons eyes. They came back though, clear in what was expected, much more confident and much improved. Both players were obviously so upset about being dropped they both signed new contracts!!

I feel for Manning. He was bought in to get us higher up the league as we had a squad capable of playing at the top end of the table.

What does top end mean though?

Statistics normally show...

The lower quartile 

The lower to mid quartile 

The mid to upper quartile 

And the upper quartile.

Given the league has 24 teams each quartile has 6. So top end MUST mean TOP 6!

What a ridiculous task to give the poor bloke who's never managed at this level before.

There was no money to spend after Scott was sold and Pearson had apparently maxed out the wage budget. If suddenly now money is found and the wage budget increased that will just go show JL aided and abetted by BT deliberately set out to weaken the club's playing staff and should be bloody ashamed. We as supporters, 62 years for me, were simply LIED to.

There was not one reason given to sack Pearson just some trumped up pathetic excuses.

Unfortunately for Manning, that list of excuses and aspersions set has made his task virtually impossible.

And finally no, I and others will not stop pointing out lies and hypocrisy!!!

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

38 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

I think the OP is correct in what he's saying especially with the younger players, those Pearson trained, coached, motivated and eventually selected.

Those players especially believed in him and those other senior pros at the club.

Those relationships weaken at a time of change and younger players can easily lose their way in bit and unfortunately, confidence goes to.

Players like Vyner and Pring were dropped for a while as they were obviously under performing in Pearsons eyes. They came back though, clear in what was expected, much more confident and much improved. Both players were obviously so upset about being dropped they both signed new contracts!!

I feel for Manning. He was bought in to get us higher up the league as we had a squad capable of playing at the top end of the table.

What does top end mean though?

Statistics normally show...

The lower quartile 

The lower to mid quartile 

The mid to upper quartile 

And the upper quartile.

Given the league has 24 teams each quartile has 6. So top end MUST mean TOP 6!

What a ridiculous task to give the poor bloke who's never managed at this level before.

There was no money to spend after Scott was sold and Pearson had apparently maxed out the wage budget. If suddenly now money is found and the wage budget increased that will just go show JL aided and abetted by BT deliberately set out to weaken the club's playing staff and should be bloody ashamed. We as supporters, 62 years for me, were simply LIED to.

There was not one reason given to sack Pearson just some trumped up pathetic excuses.

Unfortunately for Manning, that list of excuses and aspersions set has made his task virtually impossible.

And finally no, I and others will not stop pointing out lies and hypocrisy!!!

Whether they are professionals or not, it being part and parcel of football, I can still see it being destabilising for players. Fans might moan about the suits but they are looking in from the outside, while the players are actually contracted to the club, and are possibly wondering about JL & BT’s credibility etc. It’s like any workplace. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I’m sure that some of the players might be feeling unsettled. New coach, new tactics, more uncertainty. Consistency can often bring its own rewards in terms of belief and confidence, which ultimately can be the margin between success and failure. Which goes back to what has also been posted in another thread about a new coach immediately imposing his style on the players rather than looking at what they do best and adapting your approach accordingly. Evolution rather than revolution if you like. And if you want the most obvious example of a team downing tools under a new manager, then it has to be 1974 Leeds under Clough. The book wasn’t called the “Damned United” for nothing!

I used the Clough at Leeds example a few weeks back. I got laughed out of the building for making that comparison, even tho I made it clear its obviously not to that extreme but it is similar in the roots of it. 

28 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Whether they are professionals or not, it being part and parcel of football, I can still see it being destabilising for players. Fans might moan about the suits but they are looking in from the outside, while the players are actually contracted to the club, and are possibly wondering about JL & BT’s credibility etc. It’s like any workplace. 

This was something that came to mind when I was reading this thread. If we're all upset and feel pretty annoyed at how the suits have acted then it's not a leap of faith to possibly suggest that the players may also be? 

As a fan I'm sat here saying "you said you wanted evolution not revolution yet here we are with revolution" then again it doesn't take much to think the players may also feel the same way, possibly even feel stronger about it than us. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

@Silvio Dante This why I started a thread.

This is developing into a worthwhile thread.

Too often it gets forgotten that some of these players are little more than boys, and to underestimate the role Nige played in their development as footballer and person should not be underestimated IMHO

More about forum protocol mate.

The mods have a difficult job enough policing this place and merging multiple threads that start on similar subjects. Had you just started this thread I agree it’s a worthwhile and slightly different angle, but to copy and paste a post from another thread because you didn’t think it was getting enough attention isn’t really the done thing etiquette wise (I’m sure we all make plenty of pertinent points on P6 of threads that don’t get as much attention as P1, but thems the breaks).

Just a case of duplicate posting isn’t something that should be done as if everyone did it, this place would become a skipfire quickly but no skin off my nose.

• Like 1

I’ve been at three of the four games under Manning and I would say I categorically haven’t seen what the OP has seen at all. 

I’ve not see a single player look disinterested or if they aren’t trying. Conway looks a bit isolated up-front but that was true in games like Leeds just before Pearson’s departure. Some of the players - possibly including Vyner - look like they are adapting to a new set of instructions and a playing style that maybe isn’t coming as instinctively to them. But I don’t think any of our players look devastated, disinterested, cheated, robbed or anything else.

I’m sure there are quite a few that wish Pearson had not been sacked but the OP is projecting things that I would say aren’t in any way evident from the performances.

I’m annoyed with the board and I’m annoyed with how Pearson was treated but I don’t think it helps anyone to have people writing nonsensical fan fiction where we project our own feelings onto the players. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but mine is that this is the outright silliest, most nonsensical thread anyone has ever stared on here and that - if the OP wants to do some creative writing - it is probably better not to use real people as their characters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’ve been at three of the four games under Manning and I would say I categorically haven’t seen what the OP has seen at all. 

I’ve not see a single player look disinterested or if they aren’t trying. Conway looks a bit isolated up-front but that was true in games like Leeds just before Pearson’s departure. Some of the players - possibly including Vyner - look like they are adapting to a new set of instructions and a playing style that maybe isn’t coming as instinctively to them. But I don’t think any of our players look devastated, disinterested, cheated, robbed or anything else.

I’m sure there are quite a few that wish Pearson had not been sacked but the OP is projecting things that I would say aren’t in any way evident from the performances.

I’m annoyed with the board and I’m annoyed with how Pearson was treated but I don’t think it helps anyone to have people writing nonsensical fan fiction where we project our own feelings onto the players. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but mine is that this is the outright silliest, most nonsensical thread anyone has ever stared on here and that - if the OP wants to do some creative writing - it is probably better not to use real people as their characters.

I wouldn’t go that far, there’s far more ridiculous threads on OTIB than this.

• Haha 1

Well on Sunday, I would say it's more the fans who were disinterested 

The atmosphere was flat as a pancake and I spent a lot of the game looking at my phone rather than the pitch.

It just feels we've shot ourselves in the foot and this season is just another rebuilding exercise again.

It's silly, but I felt part of the NP revolution, I saw the slow and steady progress and was totally on board with it. 

Just got to get my mojo back, but at the moment I'm not feeling it.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

You say what you think fella. We have free speech and you can say what you think where you like

The overwhelming majority agree with you. Only Bristol city can bring in an untried lower league manager, throw money at him, which is clearly what is going to happen for Manning to get “his team” AGAIN and expect a different result. 

You are right. However they typically find a better club to get over it at!

Sorry to pick on this one, I could have picked many of the posts on here, most of which are nonsense on stilts.  Yes many fans were disappointed by Nige's departure, but the hyperbole on here is ridiculous and depressing:

• describing LM as an "untried lower league manager" makes it sound scary - but Oxford were only a handful of places below us, and he was only "untried" as he hadn't yet managed in the Championship (which was surely just a matter of time, whether with Oxford or another club).  And "only Bristol City" is so wrong that the error is visible from space, clubs do it all the time.  Millwall appointed Joe Edwards to his first real managerial appointment.  And think of Leeds taking Dave Hockaday from Forest Green if you want a really bad example of a genuine untested lower league manager!
  • the idea that we are some sort of outlier is equally ridiculous.  As I've said on other posts, the stats show that compared to most other clubs we have a good record giving managers time, and that includes Nige.  Many feel hurt by his departure, but can you really deny that progress was slow, at least some of the football was pretty tedious, and Nige was talking to the press about internal matters - whether or not you agree with his points, going public was always going to hasten his exit.  And who knows whether or not his health problems were part of the story
  • it's barely December, and we've already seen some much more ridiculous sackings by other clubs, Birmingham and Sunderland are the obvious examples.  Nine championship clubs have already sacked their managers this season.

LM wants to change some things, and that will take time.  I really wish we'd have a bit of patience.  It's absolutely true that changing managers is part and parcel of modern football.  And it actually happens here less often than at many clubs.

Edited by red panda
  • Like 3

The older I get, the more I’m convinced that footballers are, at heart, just children. They may say they want to be managed by a cool older brother or someone to enjoy a pint with, but in reality they really want and respond to a solid father figure, someone with experience, stern but kind hearted and fair, someone whose praise is hard to win but the more valuable for that. Like I said, the I’m getting old.

• Like 2

I do wonder whether we would be having all these types of discussions if the current results had been better, it sounds at the moment a lot of fans have buyer's remorse, in the words of that famous annoying song all your Kids were singing not long ago isn't it time to "let it go" no amount of moaning is going to change anything I mean we were hardly tearing up trees a month ago were we. 

5 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

The older I get, the more I’m convinced that footballers are, at heart, just children. They may say they want to be managed by a cool older brother or someone to enjoy a pint with, but in reality they really want and respond to a solid father figure, someone with experience, stern but kind hearted and fair, someone whose praise is hard to win but the more valuable for that. Like I said, the I’m getting old.

When you think about it, the football environment is unlike any other work place and is more like a school. 

These 'children' are very wealthy children. It's very easy to be distracted by outside influences. As we've seen with other players it's very easy for players to think they have made it simply because of the number of £££ in their bank account. 

One of the most difficult things in football is to motivate these very wealthy people. 

I've always said that the thing the players loved about Nige was because he was that father figure. Very much in the Sir Alex mould. Look how that's worked out for United since he left!

Nigel would know when a players mother's birthday was. He would ask how the kids got on in their school play etc etc etc. Those sort of things, you don't get taught on a pro license course. 

The likes of Matty James, Wells etc are multi millionaires. They've had decorated careers. Whilst I'm not trying to question their integrity. You could maybe understand if they were underwhelmed by Mannings achievements.

We've likely all had it where we've had a uni graduate who still lives with their parents suddenly becoming our boss. It never usually works out well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When you think about it, the football environment is unlike any other work place and is more like a school. 

These 'children' are very wealthy children. It's very easy to be distracted by outside influences. As we've seen with other players it's very easy for players to think they have made it simply because of the number of £££ in their bank account. 

One of the most difficult things in football is to motivate these very wealthy people. 

I've always said that the thing the players loved about Nige was because he was that father figure. Very much in the Sir Alex mould. Look how that's worked out for United since he left!

Nigel would know when a players mother's birthday was. He would ask how the kids got on in their school play etc etc etc. Those sort of things, you don't get taught on a pro license course. 

The likes of Matty James, Wells etc are multi millionaires. They've had decorated careers. Whilst I'm not trying to question their integrity. You could maybe understand if they were underwhelmed by Mannings achievements.

We've likely all had it where we've had a uni graduate who still lives with their parents suddenly becoming our boss. It never usually works out well.

Thinking about the children's comment, have you seen our back four during the pre match warm up?

They are together, 4 abreast, in order....

Tanner....Dickie.....Vyner......Pring 

They move up and down together moving the ball between them and the coach.

I did laugh to myself as it reminded me of the scene in "the full monty" where they understand a dance routine by copying the Arsenal off side trap.

Unfortunately the owners have no connection to the fans at the club or any idea about football.

Your right managers come and go and players get over it straightaway as that’s football it’s us fans who deal with the fall out.

I find it amusing how these recent fan forums of late have had Pontius Pilate Tinnion up top washing his hands with pre cooked questions.

4 hours ago, red panda said:

Sorry to pick on this one, I could have picked many of the posts on here, most of which are nonsense on stilts.  Yes many fans were disappointed by Nige's departure, but the hyperbole on here is ridiculous and depressing:

• describing LM as an "untried lower league manager" makes it sound scary - but Oxford were only a handful of places below us, and he was only "untried" as he hadn't yet managed in the Championship (which was surely just a matter of time, whether with Oxford or another club).  And "only Bristol City" is so wrong that the error is visible from space, clubs do it all the time.  Millwall appointed Joe Edwards to his first real managerial appointment.  And think of Leeds taking Dave Hockaday from Forest Green if you want a really bad example of a genuine untested lower league manager!
  • the idea that we are some sort of outlier is equally ridiculous.  As I've said on other posts, the stats show that compared to most other clubs we have a good record giving managers time, and that includes Nige.  Many feel hurt by his departure, but can you really deny that progress was slow, at least some of the football was pretty tedious, and Nige was talking to the press about internal matters - whether or not you agree with his points, going public was always going to hasten his exit.  And who knows whether or not his health problems were part of the story
  • it's barely December, and we've already seen some much more ridiculous sackings by other clubs, Birmingham and Sunderland are the obvious examples.  Nine championship clubs have already sacked their managers this season.

LM wants to change some things, and that will take time.  I really wish we'd have a bit of patience.  It's absolutely true that changing managers is part and parcel of modern football.  And it actually happens here less often than at many clubs.

Bristol City have fired an experienced manager that made us multi millions while spending little. This is a fact. 

Liam Manning has had a half a decent season at a League One Club and was fired for his failed management at a previous club. 

Bristol City/The Lansdowns have a history of appointing lower league and untested managers. They include LJ, McInness, Tinion, Holden, Millen. And when it all goes badly wrong they bring in an experienced head (Pearson) to get them out of FFP and points deductions territory put money in the bank, play our youth increase their value turn Vyner back to a footballer and bring in players to compete on a small budget.

This is followed by bringing in Manning promising the money Pearson bought in while knowing the guy has no experience of spending and having millions.

The much more ridiculous sacking by other clubs comment is laughable. Our appointments by and large have been crap for years and thus the sackings inevitable.

I hate this club being laughed at. but those with a few years under their belt and half a brain know it’s true. 

So let’s look at the three decent managers we have had since the Lansdowns have been in power. 

GJ. Excellent. Got a tune out of nothing. Fired because of a player revolt and various around the club and in the dressing room got in Lansdowns ear. (One of the reasons LJ got his job was the realization he didn’t back his man) Look how that firing turned out back in League One

Stev Cotterill got us promoted spending little while identifying players of quality  ffs the list is endless and included Aaron Wilbraham for god sake ***** on here we’re going mad when we got that old tosser  

We won promotion and Cotterill wanted another forward but Lansdown wouldn’t back him over Grey or Gayle and consequently we were flirting with relegation before Pemberton started to turn it around and LJ threw the gob loads of cash that Cotterill was denied down the shitter

Any thing sound familiar?

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1