IGNORED

S/T holders - will you renew?

Meh

S/T holders -23/24 renewals  

399 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, italian dave said:

What I think is undoubted is that the current ownership is characterised by caution, and the above reflects that. Contrast us with, say Villa and with Reading. Both gambled with FFFP and with splashing the cash. Villa got away with it. Reading didn’t. We kind of tried but we baled out the moment it looked like going wrong. Not necessarily a bad thing? But boring! 

That’s a good last paragraph.  We were close to becoming Reading, or Sheffield Wednesday or Derby.  But we always paid our bills and wages.

I still don’t know if we baled out, I probably think we were forced to bale out by the EFL, being given a “get out jail free card” with extra covid allowances (that all clubs got), but we were able to maximise (as were Stoke).  I still wonder what some of the more prudent clubs (Millwall, Luton, etc) thought of us being able to claim more allowances, primarily because we wasted more?

Had Covid not hit, I think we’d have carried on spending.  Over time the money spent versus the returns was closing in.  Covid hastened it.  Covid in some respects was a bit of a lifeline.

It’s a funny old debate though.  I think we got lucky, perhaps “treated leniently” because we played ball (with the EFL) and we paid our bills.

It took some excellent management by RG and NP to navigate that period.  And as you’ll know I’m not enamoured with the Lansdown’s, they didn’t stop paying the bills either.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s a good last paragraph.  We were close to becoming Reading, or Sheffield Wednesday or Derby.  But we always paid our bills and wages.

I still don’t know if we baled out, I probably think we were forced to bale out by the EFL, being given a “get out jail free card” with extra covid allowances (that all clubs got), but we were able to maximise (as were Stoke).  I still wonder what some of the more prudent clubs (Millwall, Luton, etc) thought of us being able to claim more allowances, primarily because we wasted more?

Had Covid not hit, I think we’d have carried on spending.  Over time the money spent versus the returns was closing in.  Covid hastened it.  Covid in some respects was a bit of a lifeline.

It’s a funny old debate though.  I think we got lucky, perhaps “treated leniently” because we played ball (with the EFL) and we paid our bills.

It took some excellent management by RG and NP to navigate that period.  And as you’ll know I’m not enamoured with the Lansdown’s, they didn’t stop paying the bills either.

So good they named it twice!

Yes, I was going to mention covid but decided I'd gone on long enough as it was!

I think you're dead right. Covid was a huge factor - timing wise it was probably more significant for us than for most other clubs. It's debatable that it had a massive impact both on and off the pitch for us. (And, whatever the rights and wrongs of LJs departure, I'm still not convinced it was a sensible time to be doing anything like that).

But yes, I think you're also right about the Lansdowns response - whatever else, SL does still see Bristol City and Bristol Sport as part of his legacy and won't do what other owners have and will. 

On 06/12/2023 at 16:16, Galley is our king said:

Absolute rubbish!

62 years man and boy supporting this club and I won't renew.

You carry on keeping in place a lying hierarchy if you wish but I've had it with crayon boy and our ex failed manager.

We had Gould and Pearson, then Phil Alexander and Pearson. If you honestly think Manning and Tinnion is better than either of those then I feel sorry for you.

The club hierarchy and the supporters are further apart than ever with the powers that be taking no notice of us. Why? Because they don't give a shit!!!

Interesting poll about season ticket renewals. Only 41% say they will definitely renew. That's an incredibly low number.

Now that reply is dross...talk about another OTT condemnation of Manning and still just 4 weeks in, but don't let common sense get in the way of an agenda that under no circumstances will you admit that its a step up ...Well not until we are a viable unit and of course you and the other nay sayers will be singing a different tune.

You say only 41% will renew, not your poll but you quoting from this toss....IF you honestly believe that then save your sympathies for me and check in onyour own well being , because of all the stupid comments around this appointment that has to be up there as the most ridiculous.

On 07/12/2023 at 15:17, Galley is our king said:

Thanks Dave and sorry but like I said I was unsure.

So we were 11th after Sheffield Wednesday.

Do you think that supporters will be happy with a tenth place finish as @Numero Uno stated?

What happened to all the " top end of the table" talk?

So just how long do you think he will need to make an impression?

From what I have gleaned from his presser LM is a very thoughtful honest and dare I say exciting coach. It is going to take longer than 4 weeks of course it is, but despite the losses which to be honest we deserved better there is real improvement, if Tommy had more composure we would be having a different conversation, fine lines this footy lark.

8 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

So just how long do you think he will need to make an impression?

From what I have gleaned from his presser LM is a very thoughtful honest and dare I say exciting coach. It is going to take longer than 4 weeks of course it is, but despite the losses which to be honest we deserved better there is real improvement, if Tommy had more composure we would be having a different conversation, fine lines this footy lark.

If we’re writing off 4 weeks, then I think we’re writing off the season. The Championship is too competitive, particularly for a team without parachute payments.

16 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Now that reply is dross...talk about another OTT condemnation of Manning and still just 4 weeks in, but don't let common sense get in the way of an agenda that under no circumstances will you admit that its a step up ...Well not until we are a viable unit and of course you and the other nay sayers will be singing a different tune.

You say only 41% will renew, not your poll but you quoting from this toss....IF you honestly believe that then save your sympathies for me and check in onyour own well being , because of all the stupid comments around this appointment that has to be up there as the most ridiculous.

It's not so much Manning being in, it's all about Pearson being out!

I said in a previous post I actually felt sorry for Manning due to the lies and ridiculous comments by JL and BT. You know, squad capable of a top end finish, disappointing results etc. 

We were 11th and 4 points off the playoffs with 2 very winnable games next.

I feel sorry for you not seeing the bull shit your being fed.

We will just have to agree to disagree....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luke_bristol said:

If we’re writing off 4 weeks, then I think we’re writing off the season. The Championship is too competitive, particularly for a team without parachute payments.

That can work both ways as were we to get on a run and sustain it, that competitiveness can at times see a lowish bar for 6th or even 5th. Other clubs have done so.

Albeit I tend to agree, 5 becomes 7, becomes 8, becomes 10 or 11 before you know it and then you need to be in strong strong form for months.

3 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

41% saying they will definitely renew, in December is, I would say very high. In reality, come rain or shine about 85-90% will eventually renew. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

41% saying they will definitely renew, in December is, I would say very high. In reality, come rain or shine about 85-90% will eventually renew. 

So a 10/15 % drop. That's not good for any business and certainly not the direction the Lansdownes would expect after their decision to change course mid season.