IGNORED

Manning Pre Huddersfield

Silvio Dante

36 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When I purchased my season ticket, I didn't sign up to another journey or another rebuild. 

Manning was so say brought in to get us challenging THIS SEASON. So no I don't expect to see the finished product after 4 games but I do expect us to challange. 

Other managers have gone in at other clubs and delivered immeidate results so I don't buy into this "he needs time" bullshit. If he needs time, then he was the wrong choice by the board for their stated aims!

**** me, did you really?  I buy my season ticket to see my mates for a couple of pints before the game.   If the football is decent then that's a bonus.

The stated reason for sacking Pearson are bullshit.  We haven't got a top six side.  We all know that.  And just because they said we have it doesn't make it true.  Have you not been watching the games?  This shouldn't be a stick to beat LM with.

Pearson was building something special.  I was gutted he was sacked.  But, despite what the JL, SL and Tins have said I never thought we'd seriously challenge this year especially given the injury list.  Do you really think we would?

What I was witnessing, however, was the consolidation of a squad with an identity and sense of belief.  Sadly, Pearson has gone.  What I want now is the players to adopt and believe in what our new manager has to bring.  Regardless, of how we got him and what I wanted I really think he could be decent. 

There seems to be some sort of of grief we, as fans, are going through.  But we all seem to be at different stages.  Some are still angry, some are still in denial, some are numb, and some are accepting of where we find ourselves.  I think Liam deserves a chance and regardless of what I think about how Pearson was treated I'm gonna give Manning my support and choose to see the positives rather than the negatives.

• Like 6
  • Robin 3

50 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When I purchased my season ticket, I didn't sign up to another journey or another rebuild. 

Manning was so say brought in to get us challenging THIS SEASON. So no I don't expect to see the finished product after 4 games but I do expect us to challange. 

Other managers have gone in at other clubs and delivered immeidate results so I don't buy into this "he needs time" bullshit. If he needs time, then he was the wrong choice by the board for their stated aims!

When you purchased your season ticket you signed up to handing over a wad of cash in return for being able to sit in a particular seat 23 times. If you thought any different, you didn’t read the small print!

You’ve said “so say” - which maybe suggests that you don’t believe it, and you don’t believe the club believed it either.
And in any case “it” wasn’t about anything specific this season (Marshall aside) and putting it is capitals doesn’t alter that.

So, if you’re going to demand something that wasn’t said by anyone on the footballing side, and that most of us recognise isn’t realistic, then you’re probably doomed to disappointment!

Which, I appreciate, is an emotion not unknown to fans of BCFC 😂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

**** me, did you really?  I buy my season ticket to see my mates for a couple of pints before the game.   If the football is decent then that's a bonus.

The stated reason for sacking Pearson are bullshit.  We haven't got a top six side.  We all know that.  And just because they said we have it doesn't make it true.  Have you not been watching the games?  This shouldn't be a stick to beat LM with.

Pearson was building something special.  I was gutted he was sacked.  But, despite what the JL, SL and Tins have said I never thought we'd seriously challenge this year especially given the injury list.  Do you really think we would?

What I was witnessing, however, was the consolidation of a squad with an identity and sense of belief.  Sadly, Pearson has gone.  What I want now is the players to adopt and believe in what our new manager has to bring.  Regardless, of how we got him and what I wanted I really think he could be decent. 

There seems to be some sort of of grief we, as fans, are going through.  But we all seem to be at different stages.  Some are still angry, some are still in denial, some are numb, and some are accepting of where we find ourselves.  I think Liam deserves a chance and regardless of what I think about how Pearson was treated I'm gonna give Manning my support and choose to see the positives rather than the negatives.

That’s a great post. 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Here’s the longer presser with the media. To avoid being distracted by Liams unwillingness to embrace male pattern baldness, and to avoid the old ground, jump to 8:30 where the question is asked whether he sees it as a rebuild.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-looks-ahead-to-huddersfield/

Interestingly his answer is “no”, but then he says the way he works you don’t see a bounce straight away, but see results longer term. When pressed on the long term, he’s asked what that long term timeframe is and laughs and can’t say. 

21 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

I sympathise with this point, and we have to give Manning a fair crack but if we spend relatively freely in January and or the rhe hierarchy move the goalpost definitively, while it shouldn't hopefully affect Manning all that much, the hierarchy however.. that is a major trust issue and it won't be easily repaired.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Some good points in there, especially the bit about meeting up with mates for the drink and the football being a side show. Quite a few times we’ve been on all dayers and the actual football has got in the way! Still love it obviously but the social side is a huge part of football. 

As for grief point I think you are right. It’s taken me a while to separate my anger at Lansdown and the appointment of Manning, but then I still haven’t got over Cotts leaving! 😀

I do find Manning hard work to listen to though, back to the OP. The “behaviours” and “principles” is starting out to really grind. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I sympathise with this point, and we have to give Manning a fair crack but if we spend relatively freely in January and or the rhe hierarchy move the goalpost definitively, while it shouldn't hopefully affect Manning all that much, the hierarchy however.. that is a major trust issue and it won't be easily repaired.

And that's the crux of the issue.

If people have a issue with the ownership, then let's organise around that.  I'd support it.  

But we need to recognise that support for LM and the team is not support for the ownership.  

Somehow, supporting LM and seeing anything positive in what we seen in games and viewed as supporting the Lansdowns and Pearson being sacked.  And that's just not the case.

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

When you purchased your season ticket you signed up to handing over a wad of cash in return for being able to sit in a particular seat 23 times. If you thought any different, you didn’t read the small print!

You’ve said “so say” - which maybe suggests that you don’t believe it, and you don’t believe the club believed it either.
And in any case “it” wasn’t about anything specific this season (Marshall aside) and putting it is capitals doesn’t alter that.

So, if you’re going to demand something that wasn’t said by anyone on the footballing side, and that most of us recognise isn’t realistic, then you’re probably doomed to disappointment!

Which, I appreciate, is an emotion not unknown to fans of BCFC 😂

If you want to look at it in a simplistic view of being able to sit in a seat for 23 times a season then fair play. 

When I go to the movies, I don't go there just to be able to sit in a seat. I pay to sit in that seat to watch a movie that I believe will be entertaining. 

So when I made my decision to part with over 500 quid and then commit to travel costs etc on top of that it was because I brought into the journey we was on. During this cost of living crisis, I took my time making my decision because I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't be another season of just bumbling along. I went into the season believing the play offs were achievable. 

During ST sales if the club would have said "despite us making progress (however slow) we're going to rip up that plan and start again and we want you to get on board for another journey/rebuild and would like you to be patient" I'd have not renewed. Basically had I known what I know now, I'd not have that seat! 

No I don't believe it at all but I'm not a forgiven person. I don't appreciate deceit or lies. I'm not going to simply forgive them because I knew they were lying. That's a ludicrous way to live life. 

It was said "We've sacked Pearson to give the new head coach the best possible chance of challenging this season" I'm holding them to that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

You're free to buy your ticket for whatever purpose you wish, as am I. 

As I just said above, just because I know they are lying, doesn't make the fact they've lied ok! I find that to be a bizarre concept. 

As I've said countless times, this isn't on Manning. I wish him all the best and hope that he is the man to get us challenging. This is on the board and their ability to select the correct 'head coach' to enable us to challange. 

The change was made to improve us this season. So thats the expectation I and many others now have on the board. By default that does put an expectation on Manning but that's what he signed up to. But for the avoidance of doubt the expectation is firmly on the board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If you want to look at it in a simplistic view of being able to sit in a seat for 23 times a season then fair play. 

When I go to the movies, I don't go there just to be able to sit in a seat. I pay to sit in that seat to watch a movie that I believe will be entertaining. 

So when I made my decision to part with over 500 quid and then commit to travel costs etc on top of that it was because I brought into the journey we was on. During this cost of living crisis, I took my time making my decision because I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't be another season of just bumbling along. I went into the season believing the play offs were achievable. 

During ST sales if the club would have said "despite us making progress (however slow) we're going to rip up that plan and start again and we want you to get on board for another journey/rebuild and would like you to be patient" I'd have not renewed. Basically had I known what I know now, I'd not have that seat! 

No I don't believe it at all but I'm not a forgiven person. I don't appreciate deceit or lies. I'm not going to simply forgive them because I knew they were lying. That's a ludicrous way to live life. 

It was said "We've sacked Pearson to give the new head coach the best possible chance of challenging this season" I'm holding them to that. 

Mate, we might support the same football team but we are miles apart in terms of how we view life and deal with (very minor) adversity.  I am very much accepting of where we are, but judging by your posts you aren't.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Red Skin said:

Mate, we might support the same football team but we are miles apart in terms of how we view life and deal with (very minor) adversity.  I am very much accepting of where we are, but judging by your posts you aren't.  

And that's fair enough mate. 

Trust is a big thing for me. I wont forgive someone simply because I know they have lied to me.  Many of us feel as if there is no trust between the club and the fans. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

And that's fair enough mate. 

Trust is a big thing for me. I wont forgive someone simply because I know they have lied to me.  Many of us feel as if there is no trust between the club and the fans. 

No one is asking you to forgive, and we have been lied to.  I think there is a groundswell of opinion amongst fans for changing the ownership, but you can still support the team and LM without supporting the ownership. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Buying a City season ticket has always been a triumph of hope over expectation, at least that's what I've been telling myself for the past 40 years :laugh:.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

No one is asking you to forgive, and we have been lied to.  I think there is a groundswell of opinion amongst fans for changing the ownership, but you can still support the team and LM without supporting the ownership. 

Not sure what makes you think I don't support the team and LM. 

I want us to do well regardless of the ownership or the manager etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Problem is we were lied to (“top six squad & top ten budget”) & that isn’t on Liam Manning.

I’m not that enthused myself & would certainly argue Cifuentes is having an impact quicker, but think 10 games is a better yardstick than 4.

With respect, I think it is on Manning… Surely he read the press release after NP’s sacking? Surely, at interview, he asked about it and what the expectations are?? 
We have to assume he’s completely bought into the JL / BT thinking/project (top end squad now etc).
If he isn’t bought in, he’s a fool and will fall foul of the hierarchy. 
If he didn’t get clear direction of the objectives at interview then he’s a fool. 
I don’t believe he’s a fool. I do think he’s jumped at a job up the pyramid and I also wonder whether he’ll regret it and regret leaving Oxford so early. Massive gamble on his part coming to a club that’s not achieved more than this in 40+ years and with significantly restricted resources/commitment from on high. 

Edited by Mendip City

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not sure what makes you think I don't support the team and LM. 

I want us to do well regardless of the ownership or the manager etc. 

Pretty sure I've seen posts from you moaning about the football since LM took over.  Might be wrong though, so apologies of that's not the case.

I do think that many (maybe you, maybe not) are weighing down LM with the expectations the hierarchy had for Pearson this season, and the reason for sacking him i.e. top six finish or challenging top six this season. 

Everything has changed with Pearson's sacking.  

1 minute ago, Red Skin said:

Pretty sure I've seen posts from you moaning about the football since LM took over.  Might be wrong though, so apologies of that's not the case.

I do think that many (maybe you, maybe not) are weighing down LM with the expectations the hierarchy had for Pearson this season, and the reason for sacking him i.e. top six finish or challenging top six this season. 

Everything has changed with Pearson's sacking.  

Oh yea I think the football is dull slow and boring and Ashton Gate is as quiet as I've ever heard it. However I still fully hope we pick up 3 points every time we play and I support us in our endeavours to do so. 

Do you think it's a unreasonable expectation then? When the club said "We've made this change now to give the new head coach the best chance of success this season" I think that's a reasonable expectation to also place on Manning.

I don't align with the view that we should write this season off because we've made a change. Why make a change if you're happy to go backwards? By default the sacking places an expectation on Manning to do better. He's signed up to a contract knowing those expectations. 

Nathan Jones joined Southampton knowing the expectations. He failed, he was sacked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I’ve had my season ticket for 40 years. Bumbling along is what I’ve learnt to expect 😂.  
Seriously, unlike the cinema or theatre, you go to football not knowing what to expect. And that half the players you’re watching are trying to spoil your day. And that for most fans, most seasons end in disappointment. And the successes are therefore very special. Thats the joy of football, surely.

Im not suggesting you forgive anyone. I’m suggesting LM wasn’t the person who deceived you, yet you seem to hold him accountable. And I’m suggesting that if you know it’s unrealistic then you’re  doing yourself no favours by expecting it. Be angry, by all means, but be angry about the deceit, not about the failure to deliver what was never realistic. 

(And, again, aside from that comment by Marshall, no-one, not BT, not JL, made specific statements about expectations this season)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Do you think it's a unreasonable expectation then? When the club said "We've made this change now to give the new head coach the best chance of success this season" I think that's a reasonable expectation to also place on Manning.

No, it isn't unreasonable if you believe what they said. I never believed it for one minute.  The owners didn't want Pearson and they were looking for excuses for what was a very poor decision and really couldn't be justified on any objective grounds.   Some honesty would have help us fans, no matter how unpalatable, and it would have certainly helped Liam.  He's been given a really tough job because of this and I feel lots of empathy for him because of this. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RedM said:

I'm thinking our Board thought "Hey, do you remember when Steve Cooper took over at Forest and they were bottom or thereabouts. Well he got them promoted later on that season. We aren't bottom so Manning has a 'headstart' on Cooper, so we will tell him it's achievable so get on with it"

The board and useless owners of this club think one thing; Luton got promoted and weve got a better stadium, superior training facilities, excellent academy, top 6 squad and now a fantastic young coach.......promotion is a given.....and therein lies the problem.

Success for us as supporters of this club IMHO will only come when we have a change of owner, and the sooner that happens the better.

• Thanks 1

I am less inclined to listen to his interviews probably because Nige told it as it is. LM has his buzz words and they are already starting to grate & given the way the club got "their" man in he is hardly likely to say anything controversial. Its the thought of yet another Bristol City re start or reboot that I am finding to be less enthusiastic about. Give it another ten years and we will still be a win one, draw one & lose one mid table Championship team, in fact there could quite well come a time when 23 of the Championship teams have experienced the Premier League, all apart from Bristol City, who have sacked their manager in favour of yet another new direction.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

I am less inclined to listen to his interviews probably because Nige told it as it is. LM has his buzz words and they are already starting to grate & given the way the club got "their" man in he is hardly likely to say anything controversial. Its the thought of yet another Bristol City re start or reboot that I am finding to be less enthusiastic about. Give it another ten years and we will still be a win one, draw one & lose one mid table Championship team, in fact there could quite well come a time when 23 of the Championship teams have experienced the Premier League, all apart from Bristol City, who have sacked their manager in favour of yet another new direction.

Spot on!!!!!

By the way listening to LM, to me, is exactly the same as listening to LJ…. All the buzz words. Only difference is that Lee had a bit of charisma/personality about him. This guy is robotic by comparison. 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Spot on!!!!!

By the way listening to LM, to me, is exactly the same as listening to LJ…. All the buzz words. Only difference is that Lee had a bit of charisma/personality about him. This guy is robotic by comparison. 

That thread by Mike Foxpunter, he does analysis of varied managers said emotion absolutely won't be high with Manning- he does and will be likely to show little.

Manning is growing on me a bit, Fans Forum he did well at but the first time ie when he appeared on SOTC- I nearly fell asleep!

Ultimately though there is one thing only that will sate concerns or queries.

Win games. At a reasonable rate, accumulate points at a steady rate- because this buys time to build on good work and strengthen weaker points, improve middling points etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

No, it isn't unreasonable if you believe what they said. I never believed it for one minute.  The owners didn't want Pearson and they were looking for excuses for what was a very poor decision and really couldn't be justified on any objective grounds.   Some honesty would have help us fans, no matter how unpalatable, and it would have certainly helped Liam.  He's been given a really tough job because of this and I feel lots of empathy for him because of this. 

I think the natural default is empathy because he didn’t create this scenario (ie the sacking of Pearson for ropey at best reasons) but against that he did walk in to this scenario. He was appointed over a week after Pearson was sacked. I’m more than willing to say that he had different conversations internally than were positioned externally, but he undoubtedly knew what he was walking into in terms of public expectation.

On that basis, for want of a better term, I’d suggest he’s “fair game”. As with any job, he knows the expectation (set at a false bar by the ownership but the fans will judge on that), and not meeting that will naturally lead to dissatisfaction.

I’m not minded to have sympathy for him. He knew the assignment. I’m still more angry at Lansdown and Tinnion but to absolve LM actually insults his intelligence 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That thread by Mike Foxpunter, he does analysis of varied managers said emotion absolutely won't be high with Manning- he does and will be likely to show little.

Manning is growing on me a bit, Fans Forum he did well at but the first time ie when he appeared on SOTC- I nearly fell asleep!

Ultimately though there is one thing only that will sate concerns or queries.

Win games. At a reasonable rate, accumulate points at a steady rage- this buys time to build on good work and strengthen weaker points, improve middling points etc.

I'm not a fan of this emotionless stuff. 

I feel that traditionally we are at our best when players feed off the emotion that Ashton Gate displays. 

Manning is very meticulous in how he does things. However when it comes to emotions he's powerless. He doesn't like emotions because they bring uncertainty. Football is an emotional game. Manning is all about processes and there is no room for emotions in his processes. 

Whilst Pearson didn't display many emotions, he harnessed the power of emotions. He knew the importance of them. Whilst he didnt always show it, Pearson by his very nature is a very passionate person. It doesn't seem Manning has that in his locker which could be his downfall at this level. 

Even at Man City where they have all their systems, processes etc they still have a passionate team. Peps team is a mirror of himself. 

The lack of emotions does make it difficult to warm to Manning. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Side issue but WTF is the score with Hayden Roberts?

Went off over a month ago now with something innocuous & when Barton asks about his return Manning doesn’t even bother to mention him.

Not saying he’s going to make a huge difference but as we don’t even fill our subs bench it would be nice to know what’s the latest.

Don’t think he wants to be here to be honest. Can see him going back to Derby. 

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

With respect, I think it is on Manning… Surely he read the press release after NP’s sacking? Surely, at interview, he asked about it and what the expectations are?? 
We have to assume he’s completely bought into the JL / BT thinking/project (top end squad now etc).
If he isn’t bought in, he’s a fool and will fall foul of the hierarchy. 
If he didn’t get clear direction of the objectives at interview then he’s a fool. 
I don’t believe he’s a fool. I do think he’s jumped at a job up the pyramid and I also wonder whether he’ll regret it and regret leaving Oxford so early. Massive gamble on his part coming to a club that’s not achieved more than this in 40+ years and with significantly restricted resources/commitment from on high. 

I'd imagine what BT and JL say to manning and what they say infront of the media are 2 very different things 

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the natural default is empathy because he didn’t create this scenario (ie the sacking of Pearson for ropey at best reasons) but against that he did walk in to this scenario. He was appointed over a week after Pearson was sacked. I’m more than willing to say that he had different conversations internally than were positioned externally, but he undoubtedly knew what he was walking into in terms of public expectation.

On that basis, for want of a better term, I’d suggest he’s “fair game”. As with any job, he knows the expectation (set at a false bar by the ownership but the fans will judge on that), and not meeting that will naturally lead to dissatisfaction.

I’m not minded to have sympathy for him. He knew the assignment. I’m still more angry at Lansdown and Tinnion but to absolve LM actually insults his intelligence 

Can’t disagree with any of that.  I like the balance of your opening para.

I used the term “fair game” a week or two ago and got flack from a small number of OTIBers.  As you say, he knew what he was coming into.

My only reason for being chilled is I’ve given myself 12/13 games to reach my first real conclusions.  The urge is strong though! 🤣

If I was doing that now I’d paint a picture of not too much difference, summarised simply as - more patient with the ball, more patient about getting it back.  The players might say training is quite different, as might be some of the principles and processes being trained in, but we can only judge on the pitch (and a bit from what we hear).  On that note, if we don’t see material differences in how we play or the good things get netted off by the not so good things and ultimately results stay similar, then I’ll probably be quite critical.  Because we were promised upside…regardless of how they handled the Nige sacking.  And that’s why I’m ultimately waiting for a bigger sample size.

Boring though….sorry!

• Like 1