IGNORED

Manning Pre Huddersfield

Silvio Dante

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-previews-terriers-trip/

Not the press conference but the internal Dave Barton piece. Nothing majorly new here (and nothing wrong with the interview from LMs side) but you have to ask why the media team would highlight this quote.

Considering the noises made by JL/BT about how the progress is expected, describing it as “the start of a journey” is a bit tin eared tbh.

Again, nothing wrong with the quote in the interview context.

IMG_1971.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a serious note, will fans have the patience given how it went when NP left, for a journey, some kind of medium term rebuild project.

I don't think so.

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Might get a relegation fight to liven things up yet! 😗

Yeah, sides can freefall.

Look at QPR when Beale left.  Indeed just checked they had 34 pts from 23 games early in Critchley era- yet nearly went down!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"Three windows, three windows, three windows" anyone??

Well okay he isn't Lee Johnson but I've pretty much written off the season in a League sense. Mad I know but..

It is a bit tiresome that our seasons tend to end around this time…

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Considering the noises made by JL/BT about how the progress is expected, describing it as “the start of a journey” is a bit tin eared tbh.

Maybe this is more of a pitch to those fans who expected to see the finished product of LM's coaching after 4 games? 

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It is a bit tiresome that our seasons tend to end around this time…

This is the most needless of all really. We were making steady progress under NP and I'd say more like late February last year- Cup run, outside chance of play-off push while the unbrearn run remained. When we lost at Cardiff that was that.

• Like 5

Side issue but WTF is the score with Hayden Roberts?

Went off over a month ago now with something innocuous & when Barton asks about his return Manning doesn’t even bother to mention him.

Not saying he’s going to make a huge difference but as we don’t even fill our subs bench it would be nice to know what’s the latest.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Maybe this is more of a pitch to those fans who expected to see the finished product of LM's coaching after 4 games? 

Playing devils advocate, LM’s journey is starting from a different point to your typical starting new manager starting point isn’t it?

Nobody thinks it’s a finished product after 4 games, but OTIBers are purely saying that he is starting from a better place (than normal) and he’s ultimately expected to kick us on as he settles.  And if we are trying to achieve promotion, his period of settling-in is small. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Went off over a month ago now with something innocuous & when Barton asks about his return Manning doesn’t even bother to mention him.

Not saying he’s going to make a huge difference but as we don’t even fill our subs bench it would be nice to know what’s the latest.

A stubbed toe was what we thought it was, which is innocuous, but then told it was an ankle injury.  No idea how bad though.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing devils advocate, LM’s journey is starting from a different point to your typical starting new manager starting point isn’t it?

Nobody thinks it’s a finished product after 4 games, but OTIBers are purely saying that he is starting from a better place (than normal) and he’s ultimately expected to kick us on as he settles.  And if we are trying to achieve promotion, his period of settling-in is small. 

This is  basically it yeah.

Usually in our experience anyway, when a manager is sacked we are shipping goals, the fans are unhappy, the morale is woeful or an objective has clearly been failed ie Wilson.

Thinking in the more routine example Milllen, McInnes, O'Driscoll especially. Tinnion albeit was still earlyish in the season, oh Holden too of course- losses, loads of goals.sbipped, double figures injury wise, morale had collapsed etc.

Cotterill, both Johnsons and maybe Benny don't fully fit either category but were closer to the norm than NP was.

NP is a totally different case, as such there won't be much leeway sadly.

A solid base with players to return from injury and some money to spend..new manager should perhaps be aiming at top 10 this season if coming in at that point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ha ha: I was about to post something very similar, but in response to @Mr Popodopolouss ‘three windows’ post above! So, from the other perspective!

I think the reality is probably somewhere in between the two.

Of course there’s going to be a degree of ‘reset’ with a whole new coaching team. And as you say it’ll be more than 4 games. (I think I’d add a “most” before your OTIBErs - one or two made their mind up after 0 games!). But it’ also shouldn’t need three windows worth of compete upheaval either, because of that more positive starting point.

But I don’t think anyone believes it’s about promotion this season: as far as I’m aware only Marshall has suggested that - and does anyone believe the club genuinely think that? It’s a bit like believing Boris Johnson when he says he doesn’t lie! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roe said:

LM has by far the best starting point of any manager we've had in my time watching (25 years or so).

Perhaps it's not entirely fair, but he's absolutely gonna get judged based on how he builds from that

Yeah the last one I can think of (and probably the only one I can think of) who had a better platform in my time was Jimmy Lumsden who took over post Joes first stint in 1990.

Historically as a club we’ve not had managers leave to better things or be poached - the only one post Joe was Tony Pulis and he didn’t leave a good base for any number of reasons! What that says about us as a club I’m not sure, but it does seem careers go here to die managerially.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Roe said:

LM has by far the best starting point of any manager we've had in my time watching (25 years or so).

Perhaps it's not entirely fair, but he's absolutely gonna get judged based on how he builds from that

Just about within your 25 years…what about Lumsden? He took over from Joe Jordan when he left us to go to Hearts. I can’t really remember the detail that far back, but it would be about the last time we didn’t sack someone in the midst of a relegation battle?

Edit - great minds @Silvio Dante - you posted just as I was writing this! You’ve answered my question though!

Edited by italian dave

38 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Really not interested in listening.
Nothing against him but you know exactly what’s going to be asked and said, even after a few weeks 

Yeah I feel the same. Gave it a listen but it's not exactly gripping...  

Liam 'You Know' Manning.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha: I was about to post something very similar, but in response to @Mr Popodopolouss ‘three windows’ post above! So, from the other perspective!

I think the reality is probably somewhere in between the two.

Of course there’s going to be a degree of ‘reset’ with a whole new coaching team. And as you say it’ll be more than 4 games. (I think I’d add a “most” before your OTIBErs - one or two made their mind up after 0 games!). But it’ also shouldn’t need three windows worth of compete upheaval either, because of that more positive starting point.

But I don’t think anyone believes it’s about promotion this season: as far as I’m aware only Marshall has suggested that - and does anyone believe the club genuinely think that? It’s a bit like believing Boris Johnson when he says he doesn’t lie! 

If we assume that we get players back from injury that have been deprived of all season (RA and RM), add a couple in the window, plus TGH remains here either on loan or signs perm…that settling in period should really manifest itself into a better / stronger second half of the season, shouldn’t it?

I don’t expect playoffs, but I still expect us to have hope that we are only one good run away.  Gavin was the only one that said it directly, Tins and JL alluded to it without saying so.

We should not be drifting should we?  JL definitely said that!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah the last one I can think of (and probably the only one I can think of) who had a better platform in my time was Jimmy Lumsden who took over post Joes first stint in 1990.

Historically as a club we’ve not had managers leave to better things or be poached - the only one post Joe was Tony Pulis and he didn’t leave a good base for any number of reasons! What that says about us as a club I’m not sure, but it does seem careers go here to die managerially.

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just about within your 25 years…what about Lumsden? He took over from Joe Jordan when he left us to go to Hearts. I can’t really remember the detail that far back, but it would be about the last time we didn’t sack someone in the midst of a relegation battle?

Edit - great minds @Silvio Dante - you posted just as I was writing this! You’ve answered my question though!

Worth pointing out that in that season we finished just 2 points outside the playoffs in 9th..

We have had just 2 higher placed finishes since, & in one of those (18/19) finished more points (4) outside the playoff picture.

Also worth saying that is actually 33 ago now, effing hell where’s the time gone?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Worth pointing out that in that season we finished just 2 points outside the playoffs in 9th..

We have had just 2 higher placed finishes since, & in one of those (18/19) finished more points (4) outside the playoff picture.

Also worth saying that is actually 33 ago now, effing hell where’s the time gone?

I will take to my grave that if Joe hadn’t left for Hearts we’d have got promoted that season. No shadow of a doubt in my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I will take to my grave that if Joe hadn’t left for Hearts we’d have got promoted that season. No shadow of a doubt in my mind.

Certainly along with the GJ season of 07/08 the only time that we really appeared to have the momentum to do so.

Lumsden’s first signing was Martin Scott, still for me the best in a long line of left backs.

Remember Joe also left him 3 strikers to choose from in Taylor, Morgan & Allison, pretty, pretty good.

The wheels came off quickly afterwards though when Lumsden signed Terry Connor & then thought it was a smart move to sell Super Bob for a lazy Polish waster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is  basically it yeah.

Usually in our experience anyway, when a manager is sacked we are shipping goals, the fans are unhappy, the morale is woeful or an objective has clearly been failed ie Wilson.

Thinking in the more routine example Milllen, McInnes, O'Driscoll especially. Tinnion albeit was still earlyish in the season, oh Holden too of course- losses, loads of goals.sbipped, double figures injury wise, morale had collapsed etc.

Cotterill, both Johnsons and maybe Benny don't fully fit either category but were closer to the norm than NP was.

NP is a totally different case, as such there won't be much leeway sadly.

A solid base with players to return from injury and some money to spend..new manager should perhaps be aiming at top 10 this season if coming in at that point.

I'm thinking our Board thought "Hey, do you remember when Steve Cooper took over at Forest and they were bottom or thereabouts. Well he got them promoted later on that season. We aren't bottom so Manning has a 'headstart' on Cooper, so we will tell him it's achievable so get on with it"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This was in the squad update on the OS last week, I presume there'll be a new one today or tomorrow:

"Haydon Roberts has begun light rehabilitation after suffering a significant ankle injury in our match against Ipswich Town in October."

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maths never been my strong point!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Won't get into politics and bore anyone but I would suggest Boris Johnson is more believable than anyone who speaks in the Bristol City Boardroom on the basis that he at least tries to make his bluster and lies make sense when he spouts them.

I don't know who this Marshall bloke is and could walk straight past him in the street without knowing but if he really thinks it's about Promotion this season then he needs sacking on the grounds of Gross Thickasshitness.

Edited by Numero Uno