IGNORED

Manning Pre Huddersfield

Silvio Dante

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Won't get into politics and bore anyone but I would suggest Boris Johnson is more believable than anyone who speaks in the Bristol City Boardroom on the basis that he at least tries to make his bluster and lies make sense when he spouts them.

I don't know who this Marshall bloke is and could walk straight past him in the street without knowing but if he really thinks it's about Promotion this season then he needs sacking on the grounds of Gross Thickasshitness.

https://fb.watch/oNFOXG39si/?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Playing devils advocate, LM’s journey is starting from a different point to your typical starting new manager starting point isn’t it?

Nobody thinks it’s a finished product after 4 games, but OTIBers are purely saying that he is starting from a better place (than normal) and he’s ultimately expected to kick us on as he settles.  And if we are trying to achieve promotion, his period of settling-in is small. 

Not you, but I think that judging by the comments of some on here and the reactions of some of those around me at the games I've been to, there are people expecting to see really cohesive free-flowing attacking football for 90 minutes.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Not you, but I think that judging by the comments of some on here and the reactions of some of those around me at the games I've been to, there are people expecting to see really cohesive free-flowing attacking football for 90 minutes.  

Yeah that would be an OTT expectation but even that notwithstanding, the board made a rod for everyone's back in terms of acceptable levels of transition or otherwise.

Both in terms of making the decisjon and the reasons behind said decision.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Are you saying you sit with JL and Tins 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Personally I thought we did the basics a lot better in the Norwich game, still not perfect but better. And the movement and transitions were mostly more fluid and faster. We were blunt going forward but we haven’t been a free scoring side this season. Only 5 teams have scored less than us.

But Manning stated numerous times leading up to last week they were working on the basics and play in transition, and I’ve seen a marked improvement already. Said today they’ve been working on forward play, the robins uncut videos highlighting that so hopefully there’s a marked improvement there as well. 

I believe (and expect us) to beat Huddersfield and then Blackburn is a tough test but hopefully after a decent win on Saturday will be one the teams up for.

expecting 3 points, hoping for 4, would be delighted with 6. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Some decent stuff in them. Manning talking in more detail about tactics and saying he doesn't see the project as a rebuild. 

Weimann saying how he's been playing with pain in recent games, and he's only just getting past that. 

A lot more in there, those are just a couple of bits I pulled out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Isn't that what Tinnion stated we were looking to do, though.

45 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

The day he left it set us back years, if not decades. All that summer worrying he'll go to Villa and he ends up there. A footballing tragedy.

Considering Joe sill lives near Clifton College, has anyone local ever interviewed him about his time as player/manager and whether or not that team really did have a chance of promotion?

His leaving at that time was one of the biggest “Sliding Door” moments for the club, along with the Hull game in 2008.

• Like 1

I've always associated Front Foot Football with intensity tbh.

You can combine possession with intensity actually I'd say that is an ideal scenario but we were going that way under NP when most were fit.

2 early goals v Plymouth and 2 v Stoke and that first half v WBA a good indicator of setting a strong tone.

We were somehow behind at Swansea but came out rapidly after HT and got the goals we deserved, Hull away likewise.

Scored early half v Preston too albeit that was a fairly lacklustre game as a whole.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've always associated Front Foot Football with intensity tbh.

You can combine possession with intensity actually I'd say that is an ideal scenario but we were going that way under NP when most were fit.

2 early goals v Plymouth and 2 v Stoke and that first half v WBA a good indicator of setting a strong tone.

We were somehow behind at Swansea but came out rapidly after HT and got the goals we deserved, Hull away likewise.

Scored early half v Preston too albeit that was a fairly lacklustre game as a whole.

Yes I enjoyed that high intensity pressing, forcing turn overs and as you say we benefitted from some early goals too.

I certainly haven't enjoyed watching Tommy stand off a goalkeeper and allow him as much time on the ball as likes before passing into an unmarked player in midfield.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I certainly haven't enjoyed watching Tommy stand off a goalkeeper and allow him as much time on the ball as likes before passing into an unmarked player in midfield.

Same here, for all the talk (which I’ve been more than guilty of myself) of the passing around the back, the clear instruction for Conway to not press has been the most disappointing aspect of the games so far under Manning.

• Flames 1

21 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Same here, for all the talk (which I’ve been more than guilty of myself) of the passing around the back, the clear instruction for Conway to not press has been the most disappointing aspect of the games so far under Manning.

You can't press with one man, and it feels like TC has been a lone striker at times over the last few games. When Knight & Sykes etc push up then we have tried to press, It has to be done as a team. Now Manning may prefer to sit deeper and let them play across the back 4, he may want certain triggers , it may become more obvious over the coming games . 

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You can't press with one man, and it feels like TC has been a lone striker at times over the last few games. When Knight & Sykes etc push up then we have tried to press, It has to be done as a team. Now Manning may prefer to sit deeper and let them play across the back 4, he may want certain triggers , it may become more obvious over the coming games . 

It was being done as a team. Bell, Weimann, Sykes from the wings, shutting down the passing channels, forcing errors, or a rushed pass and a turn over of possession. Knight, James engaged in the second press.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Side issue but WTF is the score with Hayden Roberts?

Went off over a month ago now with something innocuous & when Barton asks about his return Manning doesn’t even bother to mention him.

Not saying he’s going to make a huge difference but as we don’t even fill our subs bench it would be nice to know what’s the latest.

As an aside.. noticed that in the last two ManCity games at least Pep has not named a full bench either, and on top of that he has included two keepers….

We appear to be trying to press / condense one side of the pitch.  We let the CBs play it wide and then we press / squeeze that side of the pitch.

But I don’t think we’ve set it up nor executed it well.  Certainly not consistently.

We are allowing our opponents easy possession at times.

28 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When I purchased my season ticket, I didn't sign up to another journey or another rebuild. 

Manning was so say brought in to get us challenging THIS SEASON. So no I don't expect to see the finished product after 4 games but I do expect us to challange. 

Other managers have gone in at other clubs and delivered immeidate results so I don't buy into this "he needs time" bullshit. If he needs time, then he was the wrong choice by the board for their stated aims!

Problem is we were lied to (“top six squad & top ten budget”) & that isn’t on Liam Manning.

I’m not that enthused myself & would certainly argue Cifuentes is having an impact quicker, but think 10 games is a better yardstick than 4.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes I enjoyed that high intensity pressing, forcing turn overs and as you say we benefitted from some early goals too.

A one man press, interesting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

It was being done as a team. Bell, Weimann, Sykes from the wings, shutting down the passing channels, forcing errors, or a rushed pass and a turn over of possession. Knight, James engaged in the second press.

When the keeper has the ball ?

I wouldn't think so.