IGNORED

Marley Watkins elbow

Antman

Straight red. Violent conduct. Absolutely no need to make that contact.

Refs never like to give cards as a rule in the first minutes of a match though, so get your cynical fouls in then, I say. 

Marley Watkins' Elbow will make a good forum name for a new Otib member incidentally....

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

With VAR I really don't know how that is not a red. 

Off a football pitch and you're potentially looking at a prison sentence for that. 

The potential for a serious injury was high. We've seen plenty of incidents in life where one punch can lead to death. 

I'm a firm believer in that these VAR decisions need to be explained to the audience. Explain why this wasn't a red because somehow the only person that didn't consider it a red was the VAR official. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Refs never like to give cards as a rule in the first minutes of a match though, so get your cynical fouls in then, I say. 

Marley Watkins' Elbow will make a good forum name for a new Otib member incidentally....

Perhaps if Tomas Kalas were ever to sign up he could use it to remind him of the happy times he spent with Marley...................

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Genuine question… would people prefer Watkins or Cornick given a choice?

Feel Cornick is the better player, but Watkins with the better record, if you can call it that!

Cornick will come good assuming Manning starts with him. He’d make an ideal ‘big’ man alongside Conway.

I never rated Watkins at all………:disapointed2se:

15 minutes ago, petehinton said:

£1m fee + probably £10K a week wages. What a signing he was 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Probably only trumped by Hakeeb Adelakun who inexplicably arrived at the same time, cost £700k, & made just 5 starts, spending nearly all of his 3 (!) years with us out on loan.

Now a squad player for Lincoln, which is basically the level that he was always at.

Whoever was in charge of the identifying potential signings in that era should have been sacked years ago.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Genuine question… would people prefer Watkins or Cornick given a choice?

Feel Cornick is the better player, but Watkins with the better record, if you can call it that!

Cornick scored 13 at this level in 21/22 & cost £300k, less than a third of Watkins, who has never done that.

Not sure in what way Watkins has the better record, whether Cornick ever turns out to be a success here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Probably only trumped by Hakeeb Adelakun who inexplicably arrived at the same time, cost £700k, & made just 5 starts, spending nearly all of his 3 (!) years with us out on loan.

Now a squad player for Lincoln, which is basically the level that he was always at.

Whoever was in charge of the identifying potential signings in that era should have been sacked years ago.

You can add Liam Walsh as well.

This is like “shit signings” top trumps. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I hate it when players who take kick offs purposefully block players closing down, it seems to happen every kick off!

Surely it's obstruction?

I feel the same when defenders shepherd the ball over the by-line and blocking attackers getting anywhere near the ball, it'd plain obstruction

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think there is a good player in there. We've seen signs of it. 

I just don't really know how we get him in the team alongside Conway. 

Conway is relatively small in stature and doesn’t have the height or body mass to bully defenders. It’s his movement that’s the real ability that causes defences problems.

Play Cornick alongside him in two and defenders have two different problems to cope with..

I’d like to see Manning try starting the two together up top.

34 minutes ago, petehinton said:

£1m fee + probably £10K a week wages. What a signing he was 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Someone I’d completely forgotten about until this thread. Looking at his stats had no idea he’d been here for three years, looks like he was a MA/LJ sign loads of players signing.

Up there as one of the most forgettable players of all time to have played for us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Conway is relatively small in stature and doesn’t have the height or body mass to bully defenders. It’s his movement that’s the real ability that causes defences problems.

Play Cornick alongside him in two and defenders have two different problems to cope with..

Conway is taller than Cornick. Not sure what you're on about here.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I suppose the dilemma is that if we want two up front then you have to sacrifice somewhere else. 

So if we went 442 then we'd risk becoming overloaded in the centre of the pitch. 

If we went 352 then we lose wingers. 

If we went 4312 or a variation of that then again we lose wingers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Conway is taller than Cornick. Not sure what you're on about here.

To be honest I rarely understand what he’s on about.

@Davefevs has pointed out several times Cornick’s best spell at Luton was partnering Elijah Adebayo who is about as different a striker from TC as you can possibly get.

I can’t work out whether his posts are a wind up or just someone without the first idea what they’re watching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, glynriley said:

You can add Liam Walsh as well.

This is like “shit signings” top trumps. 

Wonderboy and Mr Slimeball must have some sort of football league record for the number of completely s*** signings they made

Still some on here that think Wonderboy was exactly that mind 

Spookily , often the biggest and loudest critics of NP

Hilarious

Edited by Sheltons Army

50 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Watkins was definitely LJ’s man, but believe it was @Kid in the Riot who said Adelukan was 100% Ashton’s signing, LJ didn’t want him and didn’t rate him hence never playing. 

I can’t remember who, but i recall a first team player jokingly (but probably truthfully) say they’d never heard Adelukan speak a word to anyone the whole time he was a contracted player here. 

Scotty gave Stan one of his match issued shirts after his first appearance on osib though, so at least one of us benefitted from him somehow 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by petehinton
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Watkins was definitely LJ’s man, but believe it was @Kid in the Riot who said Adelukan was 100% Ashton’s signing, LJ didn’t want him and didn’t rate him hence never playing. 

I can’t remember who, but i recall a first team player jokingly (but probably truthfully) say they’d never heard Adelukan speak a word to anyone the whole time he was a contracted player here. 

Scotty gave Stan one of his match issued shirts after his first appearance on osib though, so at least one of us benefitted from him somehow 🤣🤣🤣

Interesting.

Mind you not sure I would walk around in a City shirt with “Adelakun” on the back, would probably only be topped by one with “Ekstrand” on it..

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Is he? Certainly doesn’t look it on the pitch.

You’re right RR - Conway is slightly taller than Cornick. That’s really surprised me judging from how they compare visually on the pitch plus the fact that Cornick wins far more headers.

I wrongly assumed that HC was taller. Must be an optical illusion……..…….:cool2:

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Wade Elliot springs to mind - sent off in under 3 minutes as Swindon were on their way to winning the league.