IGNORED

Separating the truth from fiction (I’m encouraged)

Harry

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Problem is mate, there hasn't been any positives so therefore it's impossible to post about positives. 

I don't count high posession as a positives as watching our cbs pass it between themselves is dull and tedious. 

You may think there has been positives and that's fair enough. I don't and that's fair enough too. 

Yeah, I am perfectly aware of your position.   Regardless of that, it's been 5 ******* games.  That's 5 occasions when we get to measure how Liam has done.  I bet in whatever job you do you weren't expected to justify keeping your job after 5 days of actually doing it.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Didn't think this would get much traction...

It's good stuff isn't it. He seems very positive about the new staff, very upbeat, and directly praises some of the new stuff he's doing.

Not quite the bereft young soul pining after a lost father figure that some see (because that's what they want to see).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Yeah, I am perfectly aware of your position.   Regardless of that, it's been 5 ******* games.  That's 5 occasions when we get to measure how Liam has done.  I bet in whatever job you do you weren't expected to justify keeping your job after 5 days of actually doing it.  

Please let me know when an acceptable amount of time has passed for me and others to be able to comment.

Liam was expected to come in here and deliver immediate results. He hasn't done that. 

If I was a month into my employment and people were struggling to see positives, then I'd be worried. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Please let me know when an acceptable amount of time has passed for me and others to be able to comment.

Liam was expected to come in here and deliver immediate results. He hasn't done that. 

If I was a month into my employment and people were struggling to see positives, then I'd be worried. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-star-learns-curb-8967557

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gtzds7

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Broken record.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

In fairness, he’s not gonna come out sulking and slagging the coaching staff of is he?

Will sit and take notice of his commitment to excitement once he signs a new deal 

Fair point, but he's giving an insight which is worth discussing.

But I won't hold my breath on that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5 games is no sample size at all in many ways..more concerning for me is the shifting around of players and positions..

Sykes dropped to RWB, LB, RB whatever.

Bell at LWB was it.

Pring benched.

Substitution of Sykes in successive games.

Re Sykes.

He gets through so much work.

They wear GPS gizmos which indicate not just how far they have run, but also if their energy is dropping. I suspect Sykes is one of the players who is destined to give all he's got and then get subbed. I'm no expert, but thats how it seems to me.

I don't know why Pring was benched other than guessing LM wanted to see Bell in that position.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Re Sykes.

He gets through so much work.

They wear GPS gizmos which indicate not just how far they have run, but also if their energy is dropping. I suspect Sykes is one of the players who is destined to give all he's got and then get subbed. I'm no expert, but thats how it seems to me.

I don't know why Pring was benched other than guessing LM wanted to see Bell in that position.

Okay that's fair, yes it is a busy period and Sykes works very hard. Can't burn him out.

I do have some reservations about moving to a possible back 3 as well especially in the absence of Naismith and Atkinson e.g. but we'll just have to hope it works I guess.

McCrorie at RWB maybe better suited than Tanner at this time or is he more of an RB?

Until McCrorie, Atkinson, Naismith available and fit, competing though I'm unconvinced as to whether we should especially try the back 3.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

47 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Problem is mate, there hasn't been any positives so therefore it's impossible to post about positives. 

I don't count high posession as a positives as watching our cbs pass it between themselves is dull and tedious. 

You may think there has been positives and that's fair enough. I don't and that's fair enough too. 

I’d have thought the contradictions between the first sentence and the last would have been obvious before you hit ‘submit reply’!

Impossible for you, maybe, but not impossible.

And I think there have been a number of positives. For instance: we’ve watched “dull and tedious” passing between cbs under NP too - for me a positive is we’re now doing it with purpose, looking to find the right pass, being given options, and not as a precursor to a long hopeful ball for a wide player to chase or over the top so that it just comes straight back again.

When we get the opportunity we move it forward quickly, to feet, and long spells at Huddersfield, and first half at Southampton, we were doing that both quickly and effectively. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Thats like turkeys voting for Christmas, which player is going to come out in the local press and say anything but how he loves working with the new coaches and is excited for the future?

Face palm all you want, what player has ever come out and said he doesn’t like working with the new coaches? 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’d have thought the contradictions between the first sentence and the last would have been obvious before you hit ‘submit reply’!

Impossible for you, maybe, but not impossible.

And I think there have been a number of positives. For instance: we’ve watched “dull and tedious” passing between cbs under NP too - for me a positive is we’re now doing it with purpose, looking to find the right pass, being given options, and not as a precursor to a long hopeful ball for a wide player to chase or over the top so that it just comes straight back again.

When we get the opportunity we move it forward quickly, to feet, and long spells at Huddersfield, and first half at Southampton, we were doing that both quickly and effectively. 

Yea I'm struggling to see what you're seeing to be honest. 

Where's the purpose? We're averaging less than a goal a game so far. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Exactly. I'm sure I could go back and find interviews of players saying how much they enjoyed training under LJ or Holden or SOD etc. 

i had a decent chat with louis carey once, he was very open and candid about things then i asked if he missed playing for city. i never really understood his reply until recently. he said ..

,yes he did miss playing a lot but didnt miss the politics that went with it one bit

4 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i had a decent chat with louis carey once, he was very open and candid about things then i asked if he missed playing for city. i never really understood his reply until recently. he said ..

,yes he did miss playing a lot but didnt miss the politics that went with it one bit

There cant be politics, jon lansdown told us we had a top 6 squad. He must have been telling the truth! Hes like a rich boris johnson.

10 hours ago, Red Skin said:

It's still early and we have lots of players injured so needs must.  One answer might be he hasn't got the players available to play how he wants.

The other answer may be more nuanced. LM seems flexible in how we set up - to say the least.  Looks like he is happy to change how we set up to exploit weaknesses in the opposition.  (Whereas I always felt Lee Johnson changed to negate the opposition).  The fact we have generally played well in the first half, and then struggled when teams adapt at HT would suggest the game plan is working initially. 

He's said before it's really hard to influence much from the touchline in game.  And that it's an education piece that needs to be done for players to understand what's happening in game, be familiar with the solutions, and pick the right one to counter what they see.  This is definitely going to take time and may in part explain why we fail to adapt in the second half.

Maybe this is the consistency  - the solutions, dynamic formations, as well as the possession, high press, and aggressive front foot - that will be practiced throughout the footballing side of the club rather than a rigid structure for organising the team whether that be 433 532 etc?  Quite an undertaking and in terms of recruitment you'll need intelligent players that learn fast as well as possessing the other attributes required at the top level.  

We as fans seem far more hooked on formations than coaches.  I am just as guilty of that as anyone. 

Anyone that watched how Tottenham's fullbacks played yesterday, how John Stones has been playing for Man City, or how Sheffield United's overlapping centre-half bamboozled teams a few years ago will appreciate how the game is continually being reinvented.  I can't always follow it at the time, but I find it quite fascinating when it's explained in the analysis. 

I agree people can get overblown on formations, I know I do anyway.

See if it was a case of 4-3-3, with Naismith say dropping between the centre backs and players comfortable at being Wingback and full back- Pring can slot between the 2 and McCrorie maybe if fit could,  I cojkd gry beujd that.

Atkinson can carry, Naismith can step forward a bit- Pring I'd like to see some of the style if last season.

Stuff like Sykes at wing back, RB, LB, Tanner in a back 3, LB, Pring out I mean...

The first half v second half is also  bit of a simplistic split IMO, because until Saturday we were quite to very  slow for most firdt 20 mins of the 1st half under Manning, fine thereafter but taking 20 mins to warm up, you can lose a game in that period!

Saturday was better in this respect, both halves we started well.

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Thats like turkeys voting for Christmas, which player is going to come out in the local press and say anything but how he loves working with the new coaches and is excited for the future?

If you read the article, Tommy has gone into a lot more detail rhan needed and seems very positive, if that's not the case he could of just said very little, yes i like the new gaffer and enjoying training, as obviously not going to say he is a **** and how much I miss nige.

• Like 1