IGNORED

Absolute disgrace

spudski

13 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

a perception driven by? media broadcasters who often dont know the laws of the game. 

The scrutiny is put on the refs. Putting refs out there to explain mistakes puts on more scrutiny on the ref. seriously maybe they should do it naked so they can be belittled some more mocked more by many who despise authority. Thats the problem. We have dont have respect its no respect. 

A perception driven by what I have seen.

On some occasions I disagree with the views that the pundits have, others I agree.

There's even been a couple where I changed my mind after seeing a replay.

I'm my own person, my views aren't dictated by "the media broadcasters"

I didnt say it should be just for mistakes either.

Refs talking through their decisions for games would increase transparency and also educate some of the fans that give them the abuse.

Yes, that would include addressing things they got wrong, but at no point was it suggested it should be exclusively that.

It's not a case of humiliating referees, it's about understanding their process for the decision they made.

You're not only strawmanning, but misrepresenting what I've said.

I attended a game earlier this season where a player came steaming in for a header, lead with their elbow which connected with the opposition players head.

Result? The player who led with his elbow was awarded a freekick.

In that same game a shot from outside the area was blocked by an outstretched hand, arm fully extended, but the defending player didn't have a leg stuck out at all for an attempted block.

The attacking side were given a throw in.

This means the referee saw the ball came off a defending player, a full meter out from the defenders body, but didn't think him sticking his hand out to stop the ball was handball.

Both of those were utterly baffling baffling decisions (among several others in that game).

To his credit, the referee admitted to the wronged side's manager that he got the penalty wrong. 

Edited by transfer reader

36 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If 380 bans for attacking, or threatening referees are maybe a problem, how many do you think there should be for this behaviour to be a problem?  

How many amateur games of all ages are played every week in this country? 

380 is a few over 1 a week.

I'd be interested to know those figures compared to those from abroad. 

I'm not saying it's acceptable..I'm just looking at the bigger picture of how society is these days. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

How many amateur games of all ages are played every week in this country? 

380 is a few over 1 a week.

I'd be interested to know those figures compared to those from abroad. 

I'm not saying it's acceptable..I'm just looking at the bigger picture of how society is these days. 

You started the thread with a ref being assaulted being absolutely disgraceful. 

380 bans for attacking and threatening refs is a problem. That is a big picture. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

You started the thread with a ref being assaulted being absolutely disgraceful. 

380 bans for attacking and threatening refs is a problem. That is a big picture. 

I didn't actually start the thread. 

A Moderator did ( don't know who, and wasn't informed of change) .

They also added the thread title. 

I originally posted this, in response to the thread about Greek football...hence my quote about the Turks competing. 

10 hours ago, spudski said:

I didn't actually start the thread. 

A Moderator did ( don't know who, and wasn't informed of change) .

They also added the thread title. 

I originally posted this, in response to the thread about Greek football...hence my quote about the Turks competing. 

I apologise for stating you started the thread. You have not unequivocally stated that 380 bans for attacking and threatening refs is a problem, it is. 

The assaults and threats are part of a moral decline in football. The dissent and abuse at the top contributes to what occurs throughout the game. 

The abuse directed at referees should be viewed as seriously as we view prejudice and racism. The behaviour at the top sends a ripple throughout the game where behaviour is mirrored towards referees, including children referees (abuse of a minor is criminal).

Instead of focussing on refs (humans making errors) in a game that is chaotic, and full of errors, the game, the media should be focussing on the disgusting behaviour that is directed at referees, the behaviour we see on TV that is imitated away from the top of the game, but it does not happen, because that is bread and circuses, with a lot of money.

Few months ago the Somerset FA sent out a heart felt message about behaviour at games. This Sunday at the U15 - 16 levels of the AYL there are 43 games, and at this point only 14 refs to cover those matches. That is a national picture. 

This weekend no doubt refs will be abused, attacked, threatened etc including children and on TV we will see the ritual of undermining authority, the casting of doubt about ref standards and competency, aspersions on character and the continuance of a cycle of the moral decline.

Everything relates to whats at the top and on TV.  

Edited by Cowshed

53 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I apologise for stating you started the thread. You have not unequivocally stated that 380 bans for attacking and threatening refs is a problem, it is. 

The assaults and threats are part of a moral decline in football. The dissent and abuse at the top contributes to what occurs throughout the game. 

The abuse directed at referees should be viewed as seriously as we view prejudice and racism. The behaviour at the top sends a ripple throughout the game where behaviour is mirrored towards referees, including children referees (abuse of a minor is criminal).

Instead of focussing on refs (humans making errors) in a game that is chaotic, and full of errors, the game, the media should be focussing on the disgusting behaviour that is directed at referees, the behaviour we see on TV that is imitated away from the top of the game, but it does not happen, because that is bread and circuses, with a lot of money.

Few months ago the Somerset FA sent out a heart felt message about behaviour at games. This Sunday at the U15 - 16 levels of the AYL there are 43 games, and at this point only 14 refs to cover those matches. That is a national picture. 

This weekend no doubt refs will be abused, attacked, threatened etc including children and on TV we will see the ritual of undermining authority, the casting of doubt about ref standards and competency, aspersions on character and the continuance of a cycle of the moral decline.

Everything relates to whats at the top and on TV.  

No worries, all good. 

I think it reflects the moral decline in society. 

Abuse and not getting your own way, and throwing toys out of the pram and being aggressive seem the norm these days sadly. 

If the standard of officiating over there is anything like it is in this country then i can't blame them.

Maybe if clubs in this country made more of a stand against some of the appalling VAR and other decisions made then the FA, Premier league and EFL might actually do something about constructive about it..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Facepalm 2

25 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

If the standard of officiating over there is anything like it is in this country then i can't blame them.

Maybe if clubs in this country made more of a stand against some of the appalling VAR and other decisions made then the FA, Premier league and EFL might actually do something about constructive about it..

Maybe so but I am sure there is a civilised way of doing this rather than acting like complete moronic pillocks.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

I remember the Sri Lankan team walking off after Muralist was called for  chucking. Ranatunga led them off in protest. There was huge negative reaction throughout cricket and I’m sure there’ll be the same reaction in football particularly in Europe

It’s outrageous that the hierarchy at any football club should act in this manner over a refereeing decision……jeez……regardless of how poor the referee was.

Fifa should throw the book at the Turkish football officials - a seriously heavy fine and/or a complete ban of some sort. They need to be taught a serious lesson

22 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Maybe so but I am sure there is a civilised way of doing this rather than acting like complete moronic pillocks.

When people say appalling decisions do they really mean in many cases the subjective calls made by different refs in different matches ?

Yes it’s frustrating but always been like that really .

The trouble with VAR is I think people expected perfection and everyone to be on the same wavelength when it came to what was a foul or handball for example.

But it clearly isn’t the case and not helped by the separate laws for certain instances I agree like defending and attacking handballs.

Of course one element of VAR could be improved and sped up with AI offsides but the clubs didn’t want that.

They’d rather rely on some bloke drawing lines ..

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked