IGNORED

A message to Jon Lansdown

Alan Dicks

6 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Lost interest the minute Pearson was sacked and things are only getting worse.

At least before that, we as fans at least had the illusion of having some sort of a say in the club, a bit of influence. Now we all know it’s only the owner’s opinion that matters and sod the rest of the paying lot. I’d take Nige back in a heartbeat as bizarre as it would be.

Never been so disinterested in City, and it’s not just being dramatic. I feel mentally checked out.

I know exactly what you mean and feel, my angst is not with L.M. I really wish he does well. My 60 years of supporting is now disturbed and challenged on how to overcome this contrived situation that has been forced upon what was a very supportive, understanding, and patient support of the N.P. era.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I wish people would stop stating proveably incorrect statements as fact,

I fear we are already back in LJ territory - the land where a it will 'all come good', where 'doubters will be proved wrong' - a world in which 'belief' trumps evidence - in which managers with no real track record are going to miraculously acquire one managing Bristol City.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly don’t think that is the case Cov.  I think most are being very reasonable, and highlighting how unnecessary the spin from the hierarchy was…rather than digging out LM.

There appear to be several things wrong (from an amateurs point of view) that are outweighing the positives (again from an amateurs viewpoint) and ultimately the outcomes (and results) aren’t being achieved.

Tonight isn’t the end of the world, but it builds a lot of pressure coming into two home games.

Agreed @Davefevs - whilst I never wanted NP gone, LM will continue to get my full support (as will the players) as none of this is their fault.

My fear is that if we were to lose the next two games, we then head into Xmas/New Year on a seriously downward spiral and then what would lead to two absolutely huge games against teams around us (Brum and Millwall)……the pressure by that stage would be significant.

I know there’s been a lot said about how LM comes across in interviews but having just watched it back, having slept on the result, I have to say that the signs of a man feeling the pressure (already) was very evident……he will be aware of all the background “noise” re how the supporters are feeling and that can’t be easy for him, having only been here for five weeks.

Now is the time for a vocal, loyal support for Liam and the players - let’s see if they can rise to the challenge.

Testing (& hugely frustrating) times to be a City supporter……again!

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

First I've seen or heard of 'milquetoast' and tbh a word I want to instantly forget!

Sounds horribly American.

North American
1930s: from the name of a cartoon character, Caspar Milquetoast, created by H. T. Webster in 1924.

Edited by exAtyeoMax

8 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Ipswich game wasn’t that good, other than the Cornick effort which hit the keepers back we didn’t create any big chances. More shots and shots on target tonight than we had in that game.

Agree around the rest good performances but that’s very few in a lot of games Pearson still managed this season, do think performances were very weak towards the end of his tenure. Some you can blame on injuries but the most part we were capable of better 

We were anything but weak in Pearsons last match at Cardiff. Why try to re write history ?

• Like 5

Interesting thread, this.

Personally, I wish Manning well. As others have said, none of this is his fault and the board have put us in the position where the only sensible course of action is to get behind him and the players.

However, I remain completely confused and frustrated at the way Nige was treated and the complete nonsense that was spouted by the board when he went. This is not a top 6 squad or anything close to it. Pearson had an average group of players playing to their strengths and being in and around where you would expect an average group of players to be. Possibly even above where you’d expect them to be, given how the family silver was sold and not replaced. We were never going to go up under him with this group of players, but we weren’t going down either and the spirit and culture at the club seemed to be as strong as it’s been in years.

Making the change we did was fraught with risk. The players we have, even if all fully fit, we’re never going to get us finishing above about 10th because they’re just not good enough. By bringing in someone like Manning, who seems determined to tinker with everything, the danger is that the average squad plays below its collective ability and plummets down the league. I have seen lots of posts saying that performances have improved and we are not having more shots on target etc., and I respect those opinions because some of the people talking about that know a lot more about football then me. The bottom line, though, is results and ours are in free fall. To hear the new man taking about ‘sticking together’ this early worries me a lot. We were solid defensively under Pearson this season and we are really not now.

I also accept what others are saying about Pearson having been on these runs before. Of course it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows. But we knew what we were going to get with his teams and he always got us out of it.

My biggest concern with all of this is that we now have nobody on the football side of the club who has any record of success in the Championship. We have Tinnion who, for me, just has way too much on his plate. He’s done a great job with the academy but he’s still involved with that as well as hiring and firing managers, signing players and everything else he’s expected to do. It’s way too much for one person, and his record as first team manager would call his suitability as technical director into question in any case. We then have a board with no footballing CEO, and a ‘Head Coach’ with no history in this league at all. It’s a huge risk, and if the form carries on as it is I would really worry whether we have anyone with the slightest clue of how to fix the problem. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, lotusman said:

I know exactly what you mean and feel, my angst is not with L.M. I really wish he does well. My 60 years of supporting is now disturbed and challenged on how to overcome this contrived situation that has been forced upon what was a very supportive, understanding, and patient support of the N.P. era.

Yep exactly. And just like you, as much as I feel checked out / disinterested, etc, I should clarify that I clearly think LM is a decent bloke and of course I want him to do well. I’m completely clear on that.

It says a lot that even through inconsistent results, you could see what Pearson was doing. It was always the right direction and I’m certain we’d have been in the play offs within the next 2 seasons had that continued. From then on then who knows, but it would have been better than this.

Optimism is just gone now. I’ve watched no more than 10 mins of City without switching over since LM came in and haven’t been down the Gate, just totally disinterested.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

9 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Manningl recognized we are a mid-championship team at best, lacking the quality and depth needed to compete at the top end of the table. 

Soon to be a relegation threatened championship team.Now ruled over by ipads and techno-babble 5points out of 18,lets concede the game to Blackburn by taking off are two best players sykes and knight and replace them with a 17 year old headless chicken and the invisible AW,and lets leave our best midfielder  TGH on the bench!

• Flames 1

Jon Lansdown way out of his depth. Brian Tinnion way out of his depth. 
These two clowns are running our football club. We have no board just a couple of nodding donkeys. 

Since Manning has been appointed I’ve barely watched any of his interviews and am currently feeling quite disengaged with the club. 

Defeat Saturday I’m sure JL will hear what some fans think. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, johnbytheriver said:

Soon to be a relegation threatened championship team.Now ruled over by ipads and techno-babble 5points out of 18,lets concede the game to Blackburn by taking off are two best players sykes and knight and replace them with a 17 year old headless chicken and the invisible AW,and lets leave our best midfielder  TGH on the bench!

Let yourself down there quite honestly. We're all disappointed at losing last night but FFS, is that called for?

4 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Isn't it mad that not that long ago we had an actual functioning CEO, a manager who knew how to manage, and Tins in the correct role to suit his expertise.

It's almost as if getting the right people in for the right jobs actually works isn't it.

But they were better than the Lansdowns and those idiots won’t have any one doubting them. The amazing thing to me is that there are posters on here still supporting the Lansdowns. Madness!!!

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

It’s not how it was sold because our chairman is delusional about our squad. It’s a decent squad, my prediction was top half but also very suited to absorbing possession and one dimensional counter attacks. Look at his record at Oxford early on, I know they were massively underperforming but he didn’t win any for a fair few games then instantly hammered someone. I do think he will get it right but not as fast as some fans and definitely the hierarchy think it will

Don't be getting too attached Charlie - he's not going to endure....the clock of fate has already started ticking.

And as for 'us' fans thinking he will get it right??....from day one i was hoping he'd get it right - although hoping or believing something are different animals.

The moment we're touching cloth with the bottom three he'll be gone.

Bristol City (aside from the promotion years in Divs 3&4) has been a constant disappointment in my life.

The levels of underachievement for a city of this size, with a massive catchment area are utterly astounding. When considering the Lansdown era it's abject failure, brought on by incompetence and....

...lack of governance throughout their reign. A good leader knows their deficiencies and has trusted advisors who can bring sense and other opinions to the table. In the Lansdowns we have none of this. We have nobody with deep footballing knowledge at the club. We have no-one steering the ship. We have no-one to hold accountable except for the Lansdowns themselves. And we've been told "this is my club". When it isn't, it's our club. The fans club. Bristol's club. Ironically we had some sort of structure in place just one year ago. and we started to turn the corner.

When someone disagrees and upsets the apple cart - they're fired. They naively think that Gould and Pearson sorted the mess out. Brought in Alexander (who I was actually quite excited about - in that he knew how to run a football club) when Gould left for his dream job. And then both Pearson and Alexander were gone. The work is not yet done. "Alright Nige, we've now fixed all the footballing issues, we couldn't stomach you disagreeing with us any more and we've decided that you're part of the project is done. Sorry your sick and all but get out the club". The ego there is astounding. They are little boys in a mans body.

I don't (yet) have any beef with Manning. But my word in a results business they've been poor. And defending is also poor. We need to ratchet things back up really quickly, because conceding 2 goals a game and scoring 1 means that you lose. Every time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3