IGNORED

Best place and most unusual place you've spent on Xmas day?

spudski

A thread to share or recommend places you've spent on Xmas day?

Good or bad memories or unusual. 

My favourite has been when I ran Ski Chalets in the French Alps. 

Proper log cabin chalets, log fires, mountains and snow. 

Very ' traditional'. 

Most unusual was on top of Glastonbury Tor with many others, where we all shared items from our hampers. 

And BBQS at Symonds Yat with various others. 

Both unusual, but memorable for the fun and friendships with strangers sharing food and drink and stories. 

Got any worth sharing?

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

In Ifrane, Morocco way up in the Atlas mountains

Ifrane.jpg

I stayed overnight in a Berbers house in the Atlas mountains once. An unforgettable experience. It was like going back centuries. 

Cattle living downstairs, woman making argan oil. Sweet tea, honey and delicious homemade bread. 

Tagine to die for. 

And the son was a Snowboard instructor in the winter there and guide in the summer. 

Lovely people. 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I stayed overnight in a Berbers house in the Atlas mountains once. An unforgettable experience. It was like going back centuries. 

Cattle living downstairs, woman making argan oil. Sweet tea, honey and delicious homemade bread. 

Tagine to die for. 

And the son was a Snowboard instructor in the winter there and guide in the summer. 

Lovely people. 

Absolutely.  I used to go and stay on a friends family farm in a place called Settat which is south of Casablanca.  As you say food is amazing.

• Like 1

Worst Christmas Day for me was 2017, North of Fort McMurray, woke up with my head and neck feeling like it was on fire, went to medics at work and it turned out to be shingles, the pain got worse over the following days along with the leaking pustules etc. Best bit about it was that it was -45C outside so when the pain got too much I just doused them with water and went outside to literally freeze my head. Best one for me now is just any time I get to spend with the Mrs and our kids/ grandkids

• Like 1

I spent 2 Austral summer seasons, 89-90 & 90-91, working in Antarctica for the British Antarctic survey building the Halley 5 scientific research station.

Then spent Xmas and New Year from 91-95 working in the offshore oil and gas industry.

7 consecutive Xmas and New Years away from home.

image.png.b3dd9a30ef55cc4a50d081dcd5f75187.png

image.png.f9dcd80dbed52a441a8ce8094cd3e2e1.png

image.png.08cbe84f952a0c2636dd975ef19182fe.png

image.png.46ea2130503db558d61ae87ce016a0a0.png

Edited by northsomersetred
  • Like 6

I spent one Christmas Day morning at the war remnants museum in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

It had been busy with long queues leading up to Christmas and a local told us to try Christmas Day which we did with no queuing.

Not the cheeriest, most festive of activities but interesting all the same. Followed by an incredibly hot curry for Christmas lunch.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I spent one Christmas Day morning at the war remnants museum in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

It had been busy with long queues leading up to Christmas and a local told us to try Christmas Day which we did with no queuing.

Not the cheeriest, most festive of activities but interesting all the same. Followed by an incredibly hot curry for Christmas lunch.

On a tour of Vietnam our guide always referred to Ho Chi Minh City as Saigon. In a quiet place, to avoid putting him on the spot in public, I asked him why " was it a cultural/political thing etc "No" he replied "it's easier to say". 

• Haha 3

The Chillage.

Mbabane.

Swaziland.

The Chillage had large communal bowls of a green herb that you mixed with another brown herb from another communal bowl in a thatched hut.

These herbs were placed in a big pipe to make smoke.

Later in the thatched hut those who had been mixing the green herbs herbs with the brown herbs from the communal bowls to make smoke with the big pipe were joined by a procession of helpful unmarried topless females .. 

On 24/12/2023 at 11:52, joe jordans teeth said:

Thailand for me but a hot Christmas isn’t the same I don’t care what anyone says 

I’ve just done a warm (ish) one in Florida and agree, regularly forgot it was Xmas and it was just a bit odd.

Great time, but it’s not “Christmassy”. I’m not really a Xmas person though so a nice change

Xmas 2011, week 2 of our 5 week tour down the West Coast of North America, we were in a log cabin on the Washington state coast. To say it was isolated is an understatement, I don't think we saw another person between a visit to the local store on Xmas eve and the fuel station 3 days later before our drive through Oregon to Nevada. 

These pics will give you an idea of just how quiet it was.

FB_IMG_1703883212024.jpg

FB_IMG_1703883200388.jpg

FB_IMG_1703883184319.jpg

FB_IMG_1703883166953.jpg