IGNORED

Six Years Ago Today

One Team

You would have to be 50+ to see a game that tops it, though to be fair I’d get the argument that the Palace playoff win did.

In hindsight the high watermark of LJ’s time by some distance, as we faded away that season after being really well placed (very familiar).

A great night, even for those of us who saw the 4 top flight years.

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

The Bryan goal is not often shown in full - the lovely chip over the player at the start and then the run is just brilliant, let alone the finish.  The noise when that went in was incredible, I can’t remember louder and I was in the east end for Hartlepool.  My main feeling watching this back though is just how much I miss Korey Smith ,  what a player and what a guy.  

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

The Bryan goal is not often shown in full - the lovely chip over the player at the start and then the run is just brilliant, let alone the finish.  The noise when that went in was incredible, I can’t remember louder and I was in the east end for Hartlepool.  My main feeling watching this back though is just how much I miss Korey Smith ,  what a player and what a guy.  

Totally agree. The ball for Bryan was glorious. To my above point that save by Steele at 1 - 1 toward the end is just as good. 

Steele was superb in that cup run and sometimes overlooked in terms of the performances of others. Having only played for us 8 times there can’t be many players who have have such a good impact with so few games. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

It's a beautiful goal. Just beautiful. It's aging wonderfully as well.

To my mind it's close to the perfect football goal. It involves  trickery, passing, skill, and power. It involves multiple players, and the goalscorer is also involved in the build up. The finish is absolutely perfect, and it's scored in an important game against good opposition.

Smith's winner is impactful of course, and the tension that it breaks adds to it's kudos. But the Bryan goal is simply marvelous.

My favourite goal of the night and probably the decade if I am honest.

• Like 6

Tough to call between this and Christian Roberts's goal against Hartlepool which is my personal best memory of being at the gate!

At that point in time we were playing such exciting football, I backed us against anyone! Shame that in 6 years (on the pitch) we are no further forward, in fact we have actually regressed!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

Tough to call between this and Christian Roberts's goal against Hartlepool which is my personal best memory of being at the gate!

At that point in time we were playing such exciting football, I backed us against anyone! Shame that in 6 years (on the pitch) we are no further forward, in fact we have actually regressed!

I know what you mean, Roberts goal is still high up there clearly. I think that was the loudest I’ve ever heard Ashton Gate, it felt like the stands were shaking! That game, the Palace game and the Man Utd game are probably my top three! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Super said:

Best bit about that night was we played well and deserved it and weren't "a bit lucky" As Jose said. That team played some fantastic football at times

I mean they hit the post twice in the first half and Steele made some unbelievable saves... 

That said, we played some brilliant football

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, One Team said:

I know what you mean, Roberts goal is still high up there clearly. I think that was the loudest I’ve ever heard Ashton Gate, it felt like the stands were shaking! That game, the Palace game and the Man Utd game are probably my top three! 

Sadly when i think about that night and how good it was it gets overtaken by the embarrassment against Brighton in the final.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

Weirdly, I always favoured the Goodfellow equaliser. I’d been to every home and away game that season and, having lost to Cardiff 12 months earlier, that horrible sick feeling in the pit of the stomach that it was all fizzling out to a home defeat by Hartlepool… I’ve never felt relief like it when the equaliser went in. And, from the moment it did go in, I had no doubt we’d go on to win it in extra time.

The Manchester United game was an all-round amazing night. The buzz around the ground… you felt like everyone genuinely believed we could do something special. It’s hard to explain it to a non-football fan, it was just something else (and was never there for the Man City home game IMO).

On a personal note, also memorable because I couldn’t get a ticket so twisted some arms to get in the overspill of the press box, wrote the match report on a jolly and it ended up getting read by 3.5 million people. Not normal numbers for a Bristol City match report!

Edited by The Journalist
  • Robin 1

Fantastic night, coupled with Man City away in the first leg were easily the best 2 games since Palace in the play offs. 

Unfortunately, this run exposed the lack of LJ’s man management skills. From what I’ve been told, a few stand out players had already lined up moves away after the run, thinking/knowing they could play in the Prem. 

Has to be one of the biggest highs to disappointments in a season? Being so close in December (still blame Fielding for the Wolves incident… he stays in his box and they level it, it’s still 11v10 with 30 mins to go, we still had the momentum to go and win it. Also LJ for keeping Flint up top even after we went 1-0 up..) 

5 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Fantastic night, coupled with Man City away in the first leg were easily the best 2 games since Palace in the play offs. 

Unfortunately, this run exposed the lack of LJ’s man management skills. From what I’ve been told, a few stand out players had already lined up moves away after the run, thinking/knowing they could play in the Prem. 

Has to be one of the biggest highs to disappointments in a season? Being so close in December (still blame Fielding for the Wolves incident… he stays in his box and they level it, it’s still 11v10 with 30 mins to go, we still had the momentum to go and win it. Also LJ for keeping Flint up top even after we went 1-0 up..) 

I’ve said it many times, but I really do find it interesting the amount of weight that is put on that Wolves game.

Lose one game late on at the end of December, and that causes us to fall apart for an entire second half of a season? Maybe the team wasn’t half as good as we thought, if that’s the case. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’ve said it many times, but I really do find it interesting the amount of weight that is put on that Wolves game.

Lose one game late on at the end of December, and that causes us to fall apart for an entire second half of a season? Maybe the team wasn’t half as good as we thought, if that’s the case. 

It’s shorthand for those who can’t look at the bigger picture, a nonsense.

We simply didn’t recruit well in January & also suffered from having played a lot of games already.

Wolves was absolutely a minor issue that season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Play offs. 

Only 4 of the squad that night have played in the Prem since (Brownhill, Reid, Bryan, Kelly).

Yeah from where we were we should have made the playoffs IMO.

With all of the Cup tie experience from that year especially and prior years, big Cup games, Cup runs..it would have been our best ever chance in the playoffs..what a night, what a run that was though.

However not making the playoffs that year was a disappointment.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think it was more so the manner in which we lost & the momentum that we would of taken from that game, beating what appeared to be the run-away leaders of the league & to end the year in 2nd place, after the hysteria & euphoria of beating Man Utd, it would of shown how much steel & determination there was in the group to go again.

Of course that isn't the game that derailed us (i would of said that damage was done in the Sunderland game when we were 3 goals up at half time), but i do think that would of been a massive result that could have potentially changed the way the second half of the season went.......but we will never know.

1 hour ago, One Team said:

It genuinely felt like the ground was going to come apart at the seams. The moment the ball hit the net from Roberts foot - sheer euphoria.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Totally agree. The ball for Bryan was glorious. To my above point that save by Steele at 1 - 1 toward the end is just as good. 

Steele was superb in that cup run and sometimes overlooked in terms of the performances of others. Having only played for us 8 times there can’t be many players who have have such a good impact with so few games. 

Steele had been promised the cup games…then Fielding got the gloves v Man City!