IGNORED

Six Years Ago Today

One Team

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Whenever I think about my most memorable matches at AG one immediately springs to mind.

The semi final against the Monkey Hangers in which Christian Roberts scored the winner in extra time and Dolman shook. That was a brilliant night.

It wasn’t in extra time.

• Like 1

Worth remembering as well that this was not actually a crap Man U side when considered in the context of the past 10 years. 

Sure they'd lost their air of invincibility under Fergie but that season they were playing Champions League football and ended up finishing second in the PL with their highest points tally since Fergie left in 2013, as well as being runners-up in the FA Cup.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Worth remembering as well that this was not actually a crap Man U side when considered in the context of the past 10 years. 

Sure they'd lost their air of invincibility under Fergie but that season they were playing Champions League football and ended up finishing second in the PL with their highest points tally since Fergie left in 2013, as well as being runners-up in the FA Cup.

Yep, top quality opposition and a huge scalp make no mistake.

I think they were 2nd and well in the running for the title when we beat them.

17 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pogba, Zlatan to name 2, full of high end internationals..not full strength but it was quite strong.. Rashford played?

A night I’ll always remember and enjoy reminiscing about. 

I’ll never forget 3 minutes into the game, the guy who sits behind me (still does, sadly) berating (as he did every week) Marlon Pack 

“get closer to that number 6 Pack you f*%#ing donkey” 

someone pointed out he was a 90m player, and Pack was simply just screening  

Marlon was faultless that night, he had Pogba (at the time a global star) in his pocket, dictated play and had a hand in both goals. 

it’s crazy to look back at the starting 11, and how “basic” it was, but it worked. That was our season to be clever in January, just add a few sensible loans/perms and make the top 6, instead we started the decline. 
Diony, Kent, Liam Walsh to a degree. 

LJ suddenly assumed he was a managerial genius who could outwit everyone, and it all fell apart. 

But 6 years on, still a fond and not too distant memory. 

Edited by ohhhshauntaylor
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, transfer reader said:

They hit the post one time.

An effort was also deflected onto the bar.

This is different to them hitting the woodwork twice.

If a shot is saved by the keeper pushing the ball onto the post, that isn't the attacking team hitting the post, it's a shot being saved. The same applies here. 

Also the freekick they scored from shouldn't have been awarded, and Pogba arguably was lucky to not get sent off.

I still think we rode our luck at times, all the while playing some brilliant flowing attacking football.

It was great seeing some of the memories of this game pop up on Facebook memories.  A quality night. 

Sure, some losers will say we shouldn’t celebrate mediocrity, but one off cup games against a global heavyweight are so rare, and to win it in the manner we did would be hard to better. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Pogba played that night but was largely anonymous, what other (if any) World Cup winners have played at AG? Any of the ‘66 winning England team?

In competitive football certainly Alan Ball & Martin Peters, Osvaldo Ardiles & Ricardo Villa.

• Thanks 1