IGNORED

Six Years Ago Today

One Team

26 minutes ago, Selred said:

Play offs. 

Only 4 of the squad that night have played in the Prem since (Brownhill, Reid, Bryan, Kelly).

What could have been with a couple of really good additions in January though.  It’s easy to underestimate the feel good factor that a cup run or momentum from promotion can bring (Ipswich, Luton etc).  Definitely feels like an opportunity which slipped through our fingers.  The problem with us is that we have to wait another decade for the next chance 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I’ve said it many times, but I really do find it interesting the amount of weight that is put on that Wolves game.

Lose one game late on at the end of December, and that causes us to fall apart for an entire second half of a season? Maybe the team wasn’t half as good as we thought, if that’s the case. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

It’s shorthand for those who can’t look at the bigger picture, a nonsense.

We simply didn’t recruit well in January & also suffered from having played a lot of games already.

Wolves was absolutely a minor issue that season.

That game, with what I mentioned about the mentality of some of the squad off the back of the Utd game, and then even more so after the City away game probably made them think we weren’t up to it as a club. 

Win that game and the mentality quickly changes. I appreciate there was still half a season left, but from what I’ve been told, a few players had there agents tapping up prem clubs from as early as January. Explains the form second half of the season for sure, win that game and we’re in second, still in top form, going into January. 

16 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

That game, with what I mentioned about the mentality of some of the squad off the back of the Utd game, and then even more so after the City away game probably made them think we weren’t up to it as a club. 

Win that game and the mentality quickly changes. I appreciate there was still half a season left, but from what I’ve been told, a few players had there agents tapping up prem clubs from as early as January. Explains the form second half of the season for sure, win that game and we’re in second, still in top form, going into January. 

I mean had we won that game, we just never know..that Wolves game.

It would also have put Wolves under a new level of pressure by us and the chasing pack.

They would've gone from 10 pts above 2nd to 5 within a week, and lots of sides below them playing Monday to cut the gap further. Lots of foreign new players in a cold, British winter hectic period.

Our morale however would've sky rocketed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, devoncider said:

I mean they hit the post twice in the first half and Steele made some unbelievable saves... 

That said, we played some brilliant football

They hit the post one time.

An effort was also deflected onto the bar.

This is different to them hitting the woodwork twice.

If a shot is saved by the keeper pushing the ball onto the post, that isn't the attacking team hitting the post, it's a shot being saved. The same applies here. 

Also the freekick they scored from shouldn't have been awarded, and Pogba arguably was lucky to not get sent off.

Edited by transfer reader

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a beautiful goal. Just beautiful. It's aging wonderfully as well.

To my mind it's close to the perfect football goal. It involves  trickery, passing, skill, and power. It involves multiple players, and the goalscorer is also involved in the build up. The finish is absolutely perfect, and it's scored in an important game against good opposition.

Smith's winner is impactful of course, and the tension that it breaks adds to it's kudos. But the Bryan goal is simply marvelous.

My favourite goal of the night and probably the decade if I am honest.

Actually remarkable when you think about it that one of the best goals we've scored in decades occurred in one of our greatest matches. And it isn't even the most memorable moment in the game.

Truly a perfect night.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

I’ve said it many times, but I really do find it interesting the amount of weight that is put on that Wolves game.

Lose one game late on at the end of December, and that causes us to fall apart for an entire second half of a season? Maybe the team wasn’t half as good as we thought, if that’s the case. 

I see that Wolves game as the defining match of the last decade for this club. We were on an upward trajectory until that game, and if you look at everything that's happened since, we've never quite recovered from it.

That's not to say that game was directly responsible for every negative result that followed, and you're right that a better - and perhaps deeper - squad could have recovered from it. But looking back, it was pivotal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

This popped up as a recommended video...

Lots of analysis of Bryan’s goal in that. I could watch that goal over and over on a loop. It’s a thing of beauty. Great night. Football doesn’t get much better than that given the opponent, the stage of the competition and the injury time winner. 

• Thanks 1

It was an amazing night. For me, right up there with Wembley (1986), Anfield (1994) and the “Donowa” game against the fewers. 

I can’t think of a better goal I’ve seen live than Bryan’s. And I remember so clearly that moment when Korey Smith’s winner went in. Pandamonium. 

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a beautiful goal. Just beautiful. It's aging wonderfully as well.

To my mind it's close to the perfect football goal. It involves  trickery, passing, skill, and power. It involves multiple players, and the goalscorer is also involved in the build up. The finish is absolutely perfect, and it's scored in an important game against good opposition.

Smith's winner is impactful of course, and the tension that it breaks adds to it's kudos. But the Bryan goal is simply marvelous.

My favourite goal of the night and probably the decade if I am honest.

Completely agree

1 hour ago, eardun said:

Lots of analysis of Bryan’s goal in that. I could watch that goal over and over on a loop. It’s a thing of beauty. Great night. Football doesn’t get much better than that given the opponent, the stage of the competition and the injury time winner. 

Who was the presenter and City fan?

7 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

What could have been with a couple of really good additions in January though.  It’s easy to underestimate the feel good factor that a cup run or momentum from promotion can bring (Ipswich, Luton etc).  Definitely feels like an opportunity which slipped through our fingers.  The problem with us is that we have to wait another decade for the next chance 

2008 was probably a bigger one as we were close to limits in January 2018.roll on January 2028 for the next serious top 6 tilt, let's hope it is at this level and not League One!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Red 90 said:

Tough to call between this and Christian Roberts's goal against Hartlepool which is my personal best memory of being at the gate!

At that point in time we were playing such exciting football, I backed us against anyone! Shame that in 6 years (on the pitch) we are no further forward, in fact we have actually regressed!

I swear I ended up in a different stand after Roberts goal :laugh:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One thing that doesn`t often get a mention from the Man Utd game is Joe Bryan`s tackle on Rashford when he was clean through. It`s not often a piece of defensive play gets everyone off their seat applauding.

Was that the one on the touchline where he nearly put Rashford into the stands?

Phenomenal tackle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There was some terrific defending in all three Manchester games. Flint off the line at the Etihad and the WTF? look on Sterling`s face when he did it I will never forget.

Even though we lost, that ranks up there as one of the best City games I've been to

Expectation from everyone else was that we'd get battered. And while we did desperately hang on at times, we made sure they knew they'd been in a game that night.

They'd scored 39 in 11 games at home in the league (46 in 16 all comps) when they played us and were 15 points clear in the Prem.

Even the 2nd leg when it looked like we'd thrown any chance of an upset away completely, we fought back into it. A bit too little a bit too late, but we made them earn their place in the final.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Even though we lost, that ranks up there as one of the best City games I've been to

Expectation from everyone else was that we'd get battered. And while we did desperately hang on at times, we made sure they knew they'd been in a game that night.

They'd scored 39 in 11 games at home in the league (46 in 16 all comps) when they played us and were 15 points clear in the Prem.

Even the 2nd leg when it looked like we'd thrown any chance of an upset away completely, we fought back into it. A bit too little a bit too late, but we made them earn their place in the final.

Agree

Although we lost the tie , our performances against Man City , who were ‘at it’ , unlike Man Ure , were much better IMO

United Memorable absolutely due to Bryan’s goal , a dramatic winner and a win !

But performance wise I put the Man City , particularly away , performances up there with our performances against that Leeds side in 74 and the two performances against a very good , fully focused , Forest side in 89

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Agree

Although we lost the tie , our performances against Man City , who were ‘at it’ , unlike Man Ure , were much better IMO

United Memorable absolutely due to Bryan’s goal , a dramatic winner and a win !

But performance wise I put the Man City , particularly away , performances up there with our performances against that Leeds side in 74 and the two performances against a very good , fully focused , Forest side in 89

Not the one off game but drawing with Manu,beating Leeds drawing at Boro then beating Liverpool at home was a run of results that has been the best in my lifetime.

And no doubt the best i will ever see. Last game we all know about.