IGNORED

Wedlock’s Pub

CyderInACan

Was discussing this on a nice Boxing Day walk around the docks. Must’ve been a good 20 or so years since it was boarded up before eventually being demolished. 

At the time I’m sure it was meant to have had flats built there but the site is still empty, boarded up and a bit of a sorry sight (along with the former public toilets next to it) There was talk of some kind of restrictive covenant on it barring any further development on the site but that just seems a bit weird. 

Not getting much luck googling it but anyone have any idea why it’s just empty land that’s just a bit of an eyesore nowadays?

I would imagine it’s quite a difficult development because of what’s gone on with AG and the future sporting quarter development.

From a planning perspective, you’d want anything that happens on the Wedlock’s to be complimentary to AG, so you’d want the quarter finalised before you did too much. Also possible there were S106 agreements tied to the quarter around the Wedlock’s.

From a developer point of view since it was closed it’s gone through a recession, AG being rebuilt which reduces desirability of site in that period, Covid and now a COL crisis. The banking isn’t a huge shock in view of that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Was discussing this on a nice Boxing Day walk around the docks. Must’ve been a good 20 or so years since it was boarded up before eventually being demolished. 

At the time I’m sure it was meant to have had flats built there but the site is still empty, boarded up and a bit of a sorry sight (along with the former public toilets next to it) There was talk of some kind of restrictive covenant on it barring any further development on the site but that just seems a bit weird. 

Not getting much luck googling it but anyone have any idea why it’s just empty land that’s just a bit of an eyesore nowadays?

Ask the Council Reg, turn up in a blue & white quartered shirt & they’ll let you build anything on it, don’t even need planning permission.

South Bristol, where’s that?

Seems a very good place to put a small development so no idea why it has been allowed to become an eyesore.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Although an Ashton Boy Cuz I have never been in Wedlocks, how sad is that. Perhaps our Chairman might buy the land and build a BCFC pub. Cider £1 pint. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Although an Ashton Boy Cuz I have never been in Wedlocks, how sad is that. Perhaps our Chairman might buy the land and build a BCFC pub. Cider £1 pint. 

Nice thought, but I can't see SL or JL subsiding anyones cider. 

Especially as they have their own interests in the current outlets at AG and also the future outlets in the sporting quarter.

⬇️⬇️

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Such history and such a huge loss.

If I was SL/JL I'd get it rebuilt brick by brick.

Seriously.

29 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Nice thought, but I can't see SL or JL subsiding anyones cider. 

Especially as they have their own interests in the current outlets at AG and also the future outlets in the sporting quarter.

⬇️⬇️

Admission only for over 65's wearing a red/white bobble hat and carrying a rattle 😁

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You could make it a club themed pub and consolidate it within the group, subject to Cost:Benefit analysis, running at a profit etc.

If running at a loss..no commercial point and the cost of redevelopment vs the current outlets may also make it pointless.

They keep talking about a museum…. Why not combine the two!?!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last time I remember being in Wedlock's was the day of Charlton in the FA Cup, as I was going out the door Michael Grade was walking in (like he was walking on to a yacht). Was he wearing a hat? Was he smoking a cigar? Was he giving "it" the "big 'un" ? Had Les Kew not known who the frug he was/turnt him away from the Directors' Lounge? I'll say yes but don't hold me to it. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Last time I remember being in Wedlock's was the day of Charlton in the FA Cup, as I was going out the door Michael Grade was walking in (like he was walking on to a yacht). Was he wearing a hat? Was he smoking a cigar? Was he giving "it" the "big 'un" ? Had Les Kew not known who the frug he was/turnt him away from the Directors' Lounge? I'll say yes but don't hold me to it. 

Funnily enough one of my memories of that game was Grade sat at the end of a row in the second block nearest the open end, had a cigar in his mouth all game, pretty lively at the end of the game as well by the park !!!

I remember my dad taking me in there before games when I was a young child. I didn’t go in there much as an adult, it always looked so busy I thought it’d take ages to get served. I vaguely remember being in the garden on a boiling hot day listening to City fans exchanging insults with away fans who were on the other side of the fence in the park. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Pretty sure Alan Yentob was in there that day .... 

Also remember seeing Michael Grade in the pub (not sure now if it was the Wedlock’s or the Nova Scotia?) before the Charlton FA Cup tie the year we knocked Liverpool out (so in ‘94) they beat us at AG & I’m pretty sure then drew Man U away.

Good chance we were there together?

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Also remember seeing Michael Grade in the pub (not sure now if it was the Wedlock’s or the Nova Scotia?) before the Charlton FA Cup tie the year we knocked Liverpool out (so in ‘94) they beat us at AG & I’m pretty sure then drew Man U away.

Good chance we were there together?

Probably. It was rammed in there before that game. Very disappointing result

To be fair the weekday trade up there these days would be totally unviable for sustaining it as a pub (although I wonder where the converted Superbowl flats go for a drink) but there is so much history I agree it is shameful it just got quickly demolished - if they could have created other uses it'd be a great alternative to the Sports Bar and outdoor stalls which are rammed when open, could've been a cost effective museum and maybe digs or two apartments for youth players, in an authentic historic spot.

Used to dip in there for a quick drink when we found out it was a delayed kick off. 😂

• Like 1