IGNORED

Millwall at home match thread

5 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

Are people still in denial about the ability of Conway? Looks out of his depth in every single game. 

Not playing to his strengths.  Poor service and always outnumbered. The system almost seems to ignore him and leaves us at a disadvantage. Too rigid and too negative in my humble opinion.

• Like 9
33 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Seriously lacking wide players who have the ability and drive to get past a wing back and a striker who can link up play.

You look at Mehmeti and think  that he can play. If his marker shows him the outside he turns and goes backwards or loses it. He doesn't have the pace to go past the full back in a footrace. In fact none of our current forwards are that blessed with pace.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, George Rs said:

A striker is an absolute most imo, need a talk physical striker for games like this. And an attacking midfielder. 

Have no answer for a teams low block whatsoever. 

It wasn't a low block in the second half tbf.

I was hoping Millwall would open up and try to win the game, but now I wish they didn't as they were better than us and totally deserved their win.

We had one attempt in the first half and none in the second, can't win games just passing the ball amongst themselves.

Three attempts against Birmingham, one on target, was bad enough but today was another level unfortunately.

Once again, Dickie and Vyner (to a lesser degree) played well, but least said soonest mended regarding most of the others and I feel sorry for Conway who is being bullied every game in the way he's being asked to play. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Hocca said:

We are the one of the slowest, weakest and least creative attacking unit in the league it’s actually pathetic. Needs a good 3 attacking players brought in with pace and creativity or we will continue to suffer against poor opposition like Birmingham and Millwall. Time to move on players like James and Weimann good servants but clearly their best days are behind them.

Yes they have been good.  A bit funny, we lost midfield when they were subbed in second half. Millwall better passes , better movement. They also should had a pen in second. We were everything else than good today. No pace, no ideas. It was like looking  paint drying.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yep I think so. See his next post a bit further down.

Thanks missed that.

I read it more that they look to have upgraded and we havent.

Their manager may have done a number against Pearson today.

Only thing I would say is that our style is possibly easier for them to handle nowadays than in the earlier fixture although I accept we have been and still are better on the counter and thats usually away from home.

• Like 2

Having watched that today and in spite of the last 4 results it is glaringly obvious to me that we desperately need a RB that can attack. Tanner is a solid defensive RB but we need both flanks to provide a threat 

We also have a midfield that can’t operate as a triangle and pass through the midfield either as a pivot or a point of a diamond 

We also lack athleticism in areas of the team which makes a massive difference if LM wants to play a high tempo pressing game

Finally, up front - totally lacks any threat physically and Conway got bullied today and didn’t hardly have a kick against their CBs 

Theres still a lot of work to be done to get us anywhere near the quality we need to be to challenge at the top of the division 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, tin said:

And didn’t get a single one of them on target.

Birmingham was dross, this is more of the same. 

Least the Gas are 3-0 down.

Correct but at least against Brum we created two great chances playing poorly. Today was worse

I caught the second half of the coverage on Radio 5 and it was very noticable that despite Cotts being at the game there was very little chat about our game. I could tell it wasn't a great game just by that but when they did refer back to us and the words "abysmal" "dire" and "awful" were used it couldn't have been any clearer.

Not a great couple of games after the high of Watford on Boxing Day

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He absolutely killed us today. Not helped by the isolation, but his hold up play was absolutely dreadful. Couldn’t get us up the pitch at all. Cant play as a sole striker at all. 

He was well marshalled by their 2 very experienced CBs, who the ref allowed to plough through him too. He had sod all decent service, Wells got no change out of their CBs either.

If, and I seriously doubt we will, we go for a striker then it needs to be a true target man, to offer us something different.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

The first half was far too slow and predictable for us, having to go sideways and backwards consistently given our lack of options to play the ball forward and our ponderous approach.

Crying out for a moment of quality (as was the Birmingham game). Would expect halftime changes to be made. Hopefully with Gardner-Hickman and Sykes being introduced to give us a little bit more of a chance of some creativity.

Conway is far too isolated and while Knight is working his socks off to find little pockets of space rarely do we play the ball to him. Memheti hasn’t really influenced the game as yet.

We need to play at greater pace, and with a more forward thinking approach in the second half otherwise, this is going to peter out into a bore draw or they will pinch something in the last 10 minutes!

How I wish it was a bore daw! 

3 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Easily the worst performance of the season so far for me

Zero entertainment 

I would agree. Millwall were pushing us back and I wanted us to show more and do the pushing. We were the home team and should have dominated more. 

Just now, chinapig said:

Nobody does. Unless by everyone you mean JL and BT who seem to pretty much alone in their opinion.

But when we're 8th and we lose a game, everyone loses their sh*t. Therefore not recognising that that's what happens to a mid table team. I'm as disappointed as anyone with today's game but unless there is investment in the squad, this is our reality. Has been like this for the last 30 years that I've had to endure it. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 3
1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

It wasn't a low block in the second half tbf.

I was hoping Millwall would open up and try to win the game, but now I wish they didn't as they were better than us and totally deserved their win.

We had one attempt in the first half and none in the second, can't win games just passing the ball amongst themselves.

Three attempts against Birmingham, one on target, was bad enough but today was another level unfortunately.

Once again, Dickie and Vyner (to a lesser degree) played well, but least said soonest mended regarding most of the others and I feel sorry for Conway who is being bullied every game in the way he's being asked to play. 

Feel the same about Conway, that role does not suit his strengths at all and even so he barely gets the ball to feet in the box anyway. 

Might’ve tried to play more positive in the second half but as soon as we had possession Millwall reverted to a 5-4-1 which we couldn’t break down.

Mehmeti lacks the pace to be dangerous unless we can consistently get the ball to him on the edge of the box, which we didn’t do today, and Bell doesn’t have good enough close control at pace to make his speed useful either. 

And I’m sure he’s a lovely lad but Cornick looks completely out of his depth at this level. 

Like others have said, a very midtable side, what annoys me is we had the means to change that in the summer but didn’t, countless games we could’ve picked up more points if we had a bit more quality. 

Having Atkinson, Mccrorie and potentially Benarous coming back from injury will help us, but still think we need at least two attacking signings with different strengths to what we have currently to make a considerable playoff push. A lack of variety makes games like this extremely difficult to win.

4 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Easily the worst performance of the season so far for me

Zero entertainment 

Absolutely. I don’t mind sideways, backwards, reset etc. BUT there has to be a purpose to it. We showed next to zero attacking intent today. Today was as bad as it gets. Sums up our low Q, inconsistent squad up in a nutshell. Not blaming Manning, it is what it is and why the previous manager wanted some backing. Well, Jon and Sid had better sort some serious recruitment out for next season otherwise it’s their cock on the block. It’s on them, nobody else.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
6 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Feel the same about Conway, that role does not suit his strengths at all and even so he barely gets the ball to feet in the box anyway. 

Might’ve tried to play more positive in the second half but as soon as we had possession Millwall reverted to a 5-4-1 which we couldn’t break down.

Mehmeti lacks the pace to be dangerous unless we can consistently get the ball to him on the edge of the box, which we didn’t do today, and Bell doesn’t have good enough close control at pace to make his speed useful either. 

And I’m sure he’s a lovely lad but Cornick looks completely out of his depth at this level. 

Like others have said, a very midtable side, what annoys me is we had the means to change that in the summer but didn’t, countless games we could’ve picked up more points if we had a bit more quality. 

Having Atkinson, Mccrorie and potentially Benarous coming back from injury will help us, but still think we need at least two attacking signings with different strengths to what we have currently to make a considerable playoff push. A lack of variety makes games like this extremely difficult to win.

You won’t see Benarous this season 

17 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Totally agree. He's been terrible for weeks

He's been given 46 minutes in total the last 3 games,i know hes not technically brilliant but at least he puts himself about.

If you dont get regular game time it will show.

Btw how do you think conway has performed since coming straight back into the side?

• Like 1