IGNORED

Name a worse city game than that…

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They were better but Hughton ball can be quite counter attacking too..had we ie Tomlin put us ahead as he should, well maybe their greater quality would have told but the dynamic would have changed and the crowd would have been more up for it etc.

I don’t think I remember Tomlins early chance but I do remember squirming whenever Glenn Murray and whoever else was up front with him was attacking our end. 🤣 
Ran us ragged in that first half. 
I think we were above them in the league going into that game but we were only a few weeks away from that 10 game (?) run of defeats that firmly dropped us in the shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I don’t think I remember Tomlins early chance but I do remember squirming whenever Glenn Murray and whoever else was up front with him was attacking our end. 🤣 
Ran us ragged in that first half. 
I think we were above them in the league going into that game but we were only a few weeks away from that 10 game (?) run of defeats that firmly dropped us in the shit.

I'll try and find it if I can, great bit of play by Tammy set him up.

We were certainly in and around the top 6 mix at that time and yet performances weren't fully underpinning it..we were open at both ends and what was it in the end, 8 losses, 9 in 10.

I’ve watched a lot of awful games and they have  tended to become a blur. They often have a common theme - a freezing cold winter night with sparse crowd. Nowadays, with a 20k crowd, you are protected from the howling winds. In the League Division 4 days and crowds of 8k it could be very cold. When I took my young son (child cruelty?) I always had to sit up wind from him to act as a wind break 

I think we can count ourselves lucky that the 2020-21 season was played behind closed doors. Surely one of our 13 home defeats would have featured in this list, but I doubt many of us can remember much about those games from Robins TV. What a truly miserable season that was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had a dejavu the following year, 3-0 loss at home v Ipswich but the Millwall game had a lot of hope and anticipation iirc which made it all the worse..

So much anticipation that season, signed the England keeper, Coppell in charge…seemed a formality that we’d be challenging for promotion but Millwall brought us right back down to Earth.

Think Sam Vokes got taken off injured and never saw him again (scored against the slags today I notice).

There was a rumour posted on here after the game that a Millwall fan had been killed and it turned out in the end that all that happened was fighting near the Pump House in Hotwells.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I think we can count ourselves lucky that the 2020-21 season was played behind closed doors. Surely one of our 13 home defeats would have featured in this list, but I doubt many of us can remember much about those games from Robins TV. What a truly miserable season that was.

The home game against Millwall that season made our performance today look like that of a title winning side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Manning has been winning me round in recent weeks, which is natural given the results. Still find the football a bit boring, but everyone will have their own opinion.

So this isn’t a dig at him, but can you name a worse city game than what we witnessed today? Everything from performance to atmosphere and even the weather was just completely not there today. It has to be the one of, if it the worse, days at football for a long long time.

Considering the league that we are in, the playing staff and recent performances, I consider this match is one of the worst that I've seen in decades.

Tiredness due to a high number of games in a very short time?  Nonsense because all clubs have the same number of matches. Long distance travelling? Nowhere near the trips to the north.

Utterly terrible performance. Absolutely pathetic attacking. Defensive clangers yet again.

To sum it up, the negative performance of one player who shall be unnamed, highlights how weak we are at playing passes forward through the central territory.

Add to this match, the pathetic Bears performance last Friday, and the inept one today, what a waste of time following City and Bears.

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

7?

Chopra scored a hat trick. Our manager at the time tried to trip Chopra up as he ran past the dug outs in celebration. Luckily for all concerned our manager only had short legs…….a local photographer actually caught the moment.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

3-3 2018?

Going 3 up and a strong first half outs it a bit ahead of this IMO..less said the better lost HT. One, maybe two own goals. Diony for Reid was a strategic error.

Yes, your memory is better than mine! 

18 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The home game against Millwall that season made our performance today look like that of a title winning side.

Barnsley was pretty special too.

Think that was the game after Holden had been sacked & Paul Simpson came out afterwards & basically admitted it was as bad as he’d seen & Kalas gave an interview where he said we had to defend all game because we kept giving the ball back to the opposition.

There were loads that pandemic season that were pitiful.

• Like 3

I always remember Lennartson's first game in charge at home to Wolves.

Went 1-0 up through Hutchings, before going on to lose 6-1. All the players looked lost, without a clue what they were supposed to be doing.

A season that had started with such optimism after the promotion, went disasterously wrong and we ended up going straight back down. 

Awful times, when you consider our ambition (Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Anderson signings).

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I always remember Lennartson's first game in charge at home to Wolves.

Went 1-0 up through Hutchings, before going on to lose 6-1. All the players looked lost, without a clue what they were supposed to be doing.

A season that had started with such optimism after the promotion, went disasterously wrong and we ended up going straight back down. 

Awful times, when you consider our ambition (Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Anderson signings).

That was Benny's first home game.

His first actual game we lost 5-0 at Bradford.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When memorably the coach got lost on the way to the game.

There’s definitely a metaphor there, though I actually liked Benny & don’t think for a minute he expected to be Head Coach, but there was some seriously confused thinking going on from the outset that season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

We were promoted with Watford, and we spent millions in the summer on those signings.

We finished bottom of the table.

Watford spent £300k, finished second, and were promoted to the Prem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Mr Popodopolous

Apologies that's what I meant to say in the opening paragraph. First home game in charge.

Forgot about the Bradford game beforehand. Yes 11 goals conceded in 2 games.