IGNORED

Name a worse city game than that…

1 hour ago, kit said:

I also remeber a couple of back to back beatings under Wilson, maybe colchester and Bournemouth, 4 nils or similar, I also remember a big loss at peterborough in the same season.

Blackpool away where we needed to win to make the play offs and promptly got spanked by 5 or so.

The more I think about it wilson did serve up some absolute garbage at times that was way worse than today as bad as it was.

Our resident know-it-all won’t agree with that

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We were promoted with Watford, and we spent millions in the summer on those signings.

We finished bottom of the table.

Watford spent £300k, finished second, and were promoted to the Prem. 

Awful wasn't it.

Actually felt sorry for Scott Davidson. He started the season with real ambition at least.

When Ward walked, it all went downhill. 

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

We were promoted with Watford, and we spent millions in the summer on those signings.

We finished bottom of the table.

Watford spent £300k, finished second, and were promoted to the Prem. 

There’s ambition & there’s complete confusion.

We paid a million on Thorpe, a third division striker that we didn’t remotely need (we already had Akinbiyi, Andersen, Cramb & Torpey).

Our only defensive acquisition was Julian Watts, a terrible CB who made Jamie McCombe look like Franco Baresi on the ball.

John Ward’s idea of a Championship midfield was to pair Matt Hewlett with Carl Hutchings a third division defender who ran around a lot to no effect trying to control the ball, he made Carlton Palmer look like Glenn Hoddle.

Ward never managed at Championship level again after we sacked him (can’t think why).

Lennartsson who expected to be Director of Football then was asked to become Head Coach & added a random assortment of foreign players seemingly without a plan, Bo Anderson was the shortest Dane I have ever seen, unfortunately he was a goalkeeper, Vilmos Sebok was good on the ball but seemed not to like defending, unfortunately we played him at CB (he was sweeper for Hungary) & Testimitanu who was the only one with any guts, got badly injured soon after signing.

A absolute shambles of a season where we finished 24th, the season after going up neck & neck with Watford.

• Like 5

Last word on the game tonight (as it was rubbish). Why does LM always do the same subs in essence.

Wells/Cornick or Conway or vice versa. Bell for Mehmeti or vice versa. Williams/James/TGH rotating. We never seem to change the formation up top. Conway is not a line leader. But maybe play Wells alongside him for once, do something different.

I know we've gone to a back 5 at times recently (Bell at Rwb). But jees, 30 goals on 26 games (take away the 7 of Hull & Watford and that's 23 in 25 games). We have to do things differently at times. All for the players being "brave", but that applies to the management as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

There’s ambition & there’s complete confusion.

We paid a million on Thorpe, a third division striker that we didn’t remotely need (we already had Akinbiyi, Andersen, Cramb & Torpey).

Our only defensive acquisition was Julian Watts, a terrible CB who made Jamie McCombe look like Franco Baresi on the ball.

John Ward’s idea of a Championship midfield was to pair Matt Hewlett with Carl Hutchings a third division defender who ran around a lot to no effect trying to control the ball, he made Carlton Palmer look like Glenn Hoddle.

Ward never managed at Championship level again after we sacked him (can’t think why).

Lennartsson who expected to be Director of Football then was asked to become Head Coach & added a random assortment of foreign players seemingly without a plan, Bo Anderson was the shortest Dane I have ever seen, unfortunately he was a goalkeeper, Vilmos Sebok was good on the ball but seemed not to like defending, unfortunately we played him at CB (he was sweeper for Hungary) & Testimitanu who was the only one with any guts, got badly injured soon after signing.

A absolute shambles of a season where we finished 24th, the season after going up neck & neck with Watford.

Yep. Bit of a sliding doors moment with Watford who went on to enjoy plenty of Prem football and cup finals over the next 20 years, whilst we have pissed around in L1 / Championship. Bearing in mind they don't really have more resources than us, and their ownership is generally considered batshit. 

Similar to the 2004 play off final with Brighton too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Last word on the game tonight (as it was rubbish). Why does LM always do the same subs in essence.

Wells/Cornick or Conway or vice versa. Bell for Mehmeti or vice versa. Williams/James/TGH rotating. We never seem to change the formation up top. Conway is not a line leader. But maybe play Wells alongside him for once, do something different.

I know we've gone to a back 5 at times recently (Bell at Rwb). But jees, 30 goals on 26 games (take away the 7 of Hull & Watford and that's 23 in 25 games). We have to do things differently at times. All for the players being "brave", but that applies to the management as well.

Suppose he would argue he basically only has 15 players.

Clearly not having Cornick (didn’t get on at Brum, only did so today because Sykes was injured).

Effectively means it is 2 from 3 of Williams, James, TGH.

Wells or Conway & then one of Weimann, Bell or Mehmeti (he’s sticking with the latter).

Look at the rest of the subs Knight-Lebel (appeared once in 17) Nelson (never come on), King 35 & no way is he on the bench in February unless we have injuries. Bajic.

His options are limited, no idea where Yeboah was today but he’s raw & incredibly erratic & I’m not sure Manning (who has only brought him on once) thinks he’s anywhere near ready.

You would have to think a couple of returners & 2 signings will see a different bench by the end of the month.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep. Bit of a sliding doors moment with Watford who went on to enjoy plenty of Prem football and cup finals over the next 20 years, whilst we have pissed around in L1 / Championship. Bearing in mind they don't really have more resources than us, and their ownership is generally considered batshit. 

Think this predated the Italians, still Elton wasn’t it?

• Like 1

Dosen't have to be a 4/0 hammering to be disappointing.

Can remember a News year Eve when i talked a load of lads to come up to the City from South Devon for the New years day game.

About 4 car loads of us came up ,it was in the third tier late 90s.

Cant even remember who we played but we were in the Atyeo  and it was a ****** boring 0/0 .

As you can imagine the stick i got on the way back was off the scale.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We must be the only side in the country getting 22,000 fans in every other week yet not played in the Premier League

• Hmmm 1

Title says name any worse game than that 

Any time we lost to the gas ( remember them ) to all you younger city fans yes there was a time when they had the upper hand , Devon white , penrice , Holloway years ( bastards ) 3-0 at twerton ffs 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

When I watched it live, I thought it was all Williams and could be even in trouble after the game if they review it, but watching again it looks like Williams just carries on going with the player up to the barrier, but the Millwall players tries to kick joe and that's when he kicks off

22 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

We must be the only side in the country getting 22,000 fans in every other week yet not played in the Premier League

Depends on timeframe, depends on how long, depends on attendances at time of non promotion- bit of a broad brush but know what you mean though.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyone remember Wolves beating us 0-5 at AG? - Tony Fawthrop was in charge and played a diamond in midfield which Wolves just ran thru………that was another embarrassing performance………:facepalm:

Tony Fawthrop literally never managed a game against Wolves, so no, I don’t remember that champ.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyone remember Wolves beating us 0-5 at AG? - Tony Fawthrop was in charge and played a diamond in midfield which Wolves just ran thru………that was another embarrassing performance………:facepalm:

Are you sure you don’t mean the 1-6 Wolves debacle under Benny?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Are you sure you don’t mean the 1-6 Wolves debacle under Benny?

Could be - it was around 30 years ago. 1993/4 iirc.

I struggle to remember individual seasons so I’m guessing a bit. 

• Like 1

Quite a few home games under LJ were a carbon copy of the Millwall game. (Usually Preston home matches). 

Losing 2-0 at home to Charlton on a Sunday in late 2012 I can recall also being truly terrible, along with the 6-0 vs Cardiff and many many other home matches between 2010 - 2013 in particular.

Think a few of you misunderstood the question. I was saying it was the worse performance in a while, that clearly wasn’t the case. I was saying it was the worse all round experience for a long time.

Even some of the games mentioned, 6-0 home loss to Cardiff for example, at least there was an atmosphere, albeit hostile. People showed they cared.

Yesterday there was nothing, absolutely nothing. Performance was shocking, the atmosphere was nonexistent. I don’t remember one chant being sung. It was a chore for everyone that was there, players included.

If you had gone down for the first time ever yesterday, I don’t you’d be in any rush to return at any point!

• Thanks 1

it may not have been the worst game, but it's the first time since the Lincoln game that I have walked out of AG actually shocked at what I have just witnessed. At least against Lincoln we scored, won the second half iirc, and Semenyo missed a couple of 'sitters' from inside the 6 yard box that may have changed the course of the game. Yesterday there was absolutely nothing.