IGNORED

For those of my generation..........

downendcity

Spent a ridiculous amount of my early years from about 7 to 14 kicking one of these around the streets of St. George.

Remember the newsagents opposite my junior school (Summerhill) selling them.

• Like 1

I remember getting one for Christmas but it would rarely last into the new year.

Stupidly we’d play with it in our road, everyone had thorny privet hedges and it wouldn’t be long before it burst. I do remember the hot knife trick but can’t remember how successful it was.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Does this bring back memories of Christmas/birthday wish lists?

wembleyfootball.jpg.76dc67c987b9f9fef0aecad62c580812.jpg

As I remember it was a bit too bouncy on Oldbury Court school playground, , but stung like mad if it caught your thigh ( we all wore short trousers in those days!) on a cold day.

Also remember trying to mend with a hot knife to weld the plastic together after a puncture on the rose bushes around the play ground.

Great post Downend. More than anything I remember the square cardboard box and the smell of the new plastic. I too was kicking these around Oldbury Court playground. I left OC in 1976.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Simple Red said:

Great post Downend. More than anything I remember the square cardboard box and the smell of the new plastic. I too was kicking these around Oldbury Court playground. I left OC in 1976.

Bit earlier for me SR!

Those were the better, heavier ones . I remember one of our lot hitting one of these into an overflow pipe and bursting it. Left us with the cheap ones that the wind would take even when there wasn't any wind, like below ...

Screenshot2024-01-03at13_21_09.png.4cda97a8b3837859ed43404746c0bc65.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I remember getting one for Christmas but it would rarely last into the new year.

Stupidly we’d play with it in our road, everyone had thorny privet hedges and it wouldn’t be long before it burst. I do remember the hot knife trick but can’t remember how successful it was.

The hot knife trick started as a good idea, but just a slip and you ended up with a hole bigger than the one you started with!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The hot knife trick started as a good idea, but just a slip and you ended up with a hole bigger than the one you started with!

That’s because you were doing it wrong, in KW it was a hot poker 🙂

27 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You were meant to use it on the football

• Haha 2

@downendcity  Great post!

I do remember getting through what seem like 100s of these back in the day.   Cost my poor dad a fortune.

I hope this post pricks the conscience of the grumpy bastards that kept the ball when you accidentally kicked it into their back garden.  Miserable sods! 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Kicking one of those around the school playground at break time was fraught with danger. Not because of the ball, because of the platform shoes some kids wore to school. A sprained ankle just waiting to happen (ligament damage in today's language).

Ahhh I remember my Bay City Rolllers shoes well , you wouldn’t kick a ball around in those bad boys ….:laughcont:

I think I have told this story here before but when I was a kid,Alan Dicks was at a school fete. (QEH.My cousins went there.I only got to St George!).This was when City were in Division One in the days before Sky invented football. I won one of those paper thin footballs that when you kicked it,it went about three feet forwards,then the wind took it half a mile behind you.I got Sir Dicks to sign my ball and proudly took it home.Once home I jumped out of the car and me and my chums prepared for a kick about.First kick the ball majestically glided forward for three feet then boomaranged back under the car with a still hot exhaust. The knife trick was never going to work on this one as once I had peeled the ball off the exhaust  what remained was more hole than ball.

• Like 1

I had one of those footballs and loved it. 
I lived opposite my local primary school and me and a few mates would go into the playground and play football at the weekend when the school was closed. 
Ah the 70s - City in the top flight, plus some decent music around back then too!!

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add word
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Kicking one of those around the school playground at break time was fraught with danger. Not because of the ball, because of the platform shoes some kids wore to school. A sprained ankle just waiting to happen (ligament damage in today's language).

I remember that just too well.  Ambulance and the whole works.

16 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Ahhh I remember my Bay City Rolllers shoes well , you wouldn’t kick a ball around in those bad boys ….:laughcont:

I think you mean you shouldn't

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Hot knife never worked for me.  Tried sticking cycle inner tube repair patches with with Bostik glue and that was no better and at best, swelled up in a bubble!

8 minutes ago, Woofyourkipper said:

Adidas Tango was my first proper football,think it was from the World Cup at the time but could be wrong

I would’ve been dead jealous if you’d have come over the school fields for a knockabout with that beaut!!!

I did have this one.

image.png.89ef0c2d502c19ae4d48be0b4007feef.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would’ve been dead jealous if you’d have come over the school fields for a knockabout with that beaut!!!

I did have this one.

image.png.89ef0c2d502c19ae4d48be0b4007feef.png

Came into circ about 79 dave i rek... Man utd and ipswich always seemed to be on motd and big match every week with these balls.... 

• Like 1

What I remember about plastic footballs was the very strong smell...I can still imagine it now.

Also, when you kicked the lighter ones....they would swerve the wrong way. Kick them with the inside of your foot, if you're right footed... they should swerve to the left,  nope they'd go to the right.  Likewise, kick the ball with the outside of your foot, they should swerve to the right... no again, they would go to the left!

Very odd!

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

Does this bring back memories of Christmas/birthday wish lists?

wembleyfootball.jpg.76dc67c987b9f9fef0aecad62c580812.jpg

As I remember it was a bit too bouncy on Oldbury Court school playground, , but stung like mad if it caught your thigh ( we all wore short trousers in those days!) on a cold day.

Also remember trying to mend with a hot knife to weld the plastic together after a puncture on the rose bushes around the play ground.

Isn’t that the current day match ball the gas use for home games 🙈

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Woofyourkipper said:

Adidas Tango was my first proper football,think it was from the World Cup at the time but could be wrong

Same here. Mexico 86 World Cup.

Loved that ball..!