IGNORED

Jon and Brian - Time to Shine Boys

Numero Uno

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't want to worry you even more, but it seems he's being lined up to be CEO one day...

That bold bit is laughable. He has no credentials to be a CEO. None.

He doesn’t have many credentials to be Tecknickal directo TBF.

17 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sorry mate but I actually can't see what he's trying to do. 

Yes we play well against teams that like to play but the fact is the Championship is littered with teams like Brum, like Millwall, like Preston. Manning has not shown me anything that makes me think we have a plan to beat these teams. If we can't find a way to beat those teams, we won't ever achieve anything. 

He needs to adapt and work with what he's got rather than relying on the LJ approach of constantly needing new players. 

That's alright you are allowed to disagree, 

Haven't we always been like this though?we've always struggled to break sides down that sit In, even under Johnson, holden and Pearson we've always been better against sides that come at us. So that's not manning, that's the players that he has right now. I think we need a top quality attacking midfielder that fits his system my worry is will we have the money to bring in that type of player it's ok bringing in these lower league players who might well have potential but we need quality proven players right now. 

I think people struggle to see what he's trying to do because the players he has can't play that way we have a few that can move the ball quickly but once they give it to tanner or James the ball goes backwards. 

Obviously it's not helped with comments from lansdown that we have a top 10 squad that just adds unnecessary pressure that manning doesn't Need, realistically though what do people actually expect I've watched us 32 years ( and I know it's not about I've supported city ex amounts of years) but we've only ever been league 1 championship. We are where we should be with the budget we have and that sucks cause we all want to be successfull of course but until lansdown either starts splashing more money on quality ( which i don't think he will and neither should he its his money ) we will keep ending up the same place just my opinion of course and probably get told I'm chatting shit, but nothing new there 🤣

Only Bristol City could work so hard to patiently manage their way out of a pretty dire situation, avoiding any real threat of relegation in the process, and then completely rip it all up just when things are starting to look up. 

It’s unbelievable. 

I’m not going to jump on the bandwagon and rip Manning apart - thought I’d hate his interviews but I don’t actually mind them.

The performance second half yesterday was dreadful, and he should have reacted but it was a howler from two fairly reliable players that put us behind. 

Also easy to forget how we performed against Preston earlier this season at home. That was just as bad (IMO) and the comments on here are a stark contrast from last weekends. The week to week over reaction (on both sides) is tiresome. 

He’s going nowhere though, the players seem to like him, the club have their “yes man” and he’s now going to get the budget that should have been given to his predecessor.

I only hope he uses it well because it’s going to get very messy if things don’t pick up once he has some of his own players in place. 

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 3

Thing is, what would you do if you were Lansdown?  Let’s say, for sake of argument, you are £200M ‘in’ to a ‘project’. The ONLY way you are going to get any of that back, is to get promoted to the Premier League, yet to achieve that may require you write another cheque for yet another £30M (which the rules mightn’t let you spend anyway?

not saying this isn’t their own doing, not thinking about the past at all. Just speculating on what they might do NOW. 

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just a couple of points:

- Last week the Telegraph article with LM was published where the “9 full sessions” piece was said (and he also said it in his presser). I said at the time that off a bad result it could easily be seen as an excuse as opposed to a reason. The truth is that he has probably only had 9 sessions not focused on opponents - but guess what? So has every other manager in that time, and he went into MK Dons in a busier schedule and got immediate results because the squad was already set up by Russell Martin to how they wanted to play. He was a continuation candidate. The folly here is both the boards and Liams for trying to change loads mid season

- I think it’s absolutely reasonable to both blame Tinnion/Lansdown for matters and to have doubts if Manning is the right man for the job. Thats where I am. I’m unconvinced by track record to date but more pertinently, I am exceptionally concerned by the lack of adaptability and game management he’s shown since he’s been here. I don’t think that’s unreasonable and it’s not saying bring Pearson back. What it is saying is maybe there were more suitable candidates without ripping it up and starting again?

I got mocked on here when I raised concerns about him being sacked by MK and how he failed to turn it round there. People said to me he failed there because he didn't have his own players, I was concerned that would happen here too. 

He didn't seem the right fit for the players we have so I had my concerns that he would be able to get the most of of them. 

People labeled people like me who had these genuine concerns as having an agenda. Manning was seen by some as the next pep and therefore we were not allowed to raise 

We are where we are now though and that's zero goals in 3 league games. The frustrating thing is that we do have goalscorers in this team. Conway could get 15-20. Bell 10. Wells 10, Sykes 10 etc. 

But this is Bristol City and we will no doubt beat West Ham before then continuing our poor league form. 

8 hours ago, pillred said:

Did he walk away? I thought he had been relieved of his duties (sacked).

No one really knows for sure but the Cardiff defeat on the Saturday with a depleted squad, the barbed comments from Pearson about lack of contract when interviewed, the hasty announcement on Monday and the rabbit in the headlights look from tweedle dee and tweedle dumb and complete lack of transparency, leads me to believe that the dynamic duo, with all of their managerial experience were called out by Pearson changing the goalposts & thought that they knew better and Pearson told them where to stick it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've heard Owers and Ian Gay and now posts like this say Manning needs to be able to bring in his own players. 

Sorry but wasn't the change made in order to bring in a head coach who could get more out of our current set of players? So why the f are people speaking about him needing money to spend just to get us back to where we were? 

I have no problem with us bringing in 2-3 in the window as that's what you'd expect in every Jan window. 

My issue is with the excuses people are using for these poor results and performances. 

This is spot on.

Fine, let him sign the one or two players in January that Pearson should have been allowed in August, but people seem to be moving the goalposts and talking about ‘judging him with his squad’ and seemingly believing he needs to bring in a whole new raft of players to play ‘Manning ball’ (my god that phrase irritates me).

If we are only able to judge him with his squad or he does need to completely overhaul the squad to play his preferred style of football effectively then it is in actual fact an open admission that it was the wrong appointment.

The change in manager was supposedly to get more out of the squad we had. I can’t believe for a second that Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion were lying again.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I got mocked on here when I raised concerns about him being sacked by MK and how he failed to turn it round there. People said to me he failed there because he didn't have his own players, I was concerned that would happen here too. 

He didn't seem the right fit for the players we have so I had my concerns that he would be able to get the most of of them. 

People labeled people like me who had these genuine concerns as having an agenda. Manning was seen by some as the next pep and therefore we were not allowed to raise 

We are where we are now though and that's zero goals in 3 league games. The frustrating thing is that we do have goalscorers in this team. Conway could get 15-20. Bell 10. Wells 10, Sykes 10 etc. 

But this is Bristol City and we will no doubt beat West Ham before then continuing our poor league form. 

Nobody has said he’s the next Pep. You do yourself a disservice if you make things up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In some ways yeah, in some ways no IMO. Consistently perhaps not but the high energy high octane approach when we had sufficient fit players wasn't too bad.

Think Hull away, Swansea away, West Brom home first half, Plymouth home first half, last half hour of Ipswich hole even as the injury crisis was starting to mount and phases of Stoke home. Did Leeds fans not also say we were one of the more positive sides to visit Elland Road?

We also shaded Millwall away but that wasn't quite the same type of display.

You’re actually not allowed to bring up the brilliant performances under him this year.  It’s not allowed.

Only allowed to bring up how poor we were in his first two seasons when the squad was even worse than it is now, and we didn’t have a pot to piss in until we sold Scott and Semenyo. 

• Confused 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, bearded_red said:

This is spot on.

Fine, let him sign the one or two players in January that Pearson should have been allowed in August, but people seem to be moving the goalposts and talking about ‘judging him with his squad’ and seemingly believing he needs to bring in a whole new raft of players to play ‘Manning ball’ (my god that phrase irritates me).

If we are only able to judge him with his squad or he does need to completely overhaul the squad to play his preferred style of football effectively then it is in actual fact an open admission that it was the wrong appointment.

The change in manager was supposedly to get more out of the squad we had. I can’t believe for a second that Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion were lying again.

How are people moving the goalposts?  If fans want to judge him when he gets his own players that is up to them. They aren’t the fans goalposts, they are the owners and Tinnions 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

How are people moving the goalposts?  If fans want to judge him when he gets his own players that is up to them. They aren’t the fans goalposts, they are the owners and Tinnions 

He wasn’t brought in to bring his own squad, he was brought in to get more out of the current squad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

He wasn’t brought in to bring his own squad, he was brought in to get more out of the current squad.

We all know that was bollocks from the hierarchy so why not put some heat on them……just FOR ONCE in the 25 years of the Lansdown’s average ownership? Or are people ******* shitting themselves that Steve won’t like it and **** off?

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

Just now, Numero Uno said:

We all know that was bollocks from the hierarchy so why not put some heat on them……just FOR ONCE in the last 25 years of the Lansdown’s average ownership?

I am absolutely desperate for them to sell up and leave so I can’t imagine that’s aimed at me.

For what it’s worth, results under Manning are fine, just like they were under Pearson, the squad is fine.

I don’t blame Manning or Pearson for why it’s clearly impossible to ever be any better than fine at this level. The club needs a change of owenership if it is to ever progress.

I do blame Manning for playing a style of football that utterly bores me, but that’s a side issue, and it seems plenty of other people actually enjoy it so good for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

I am absolutely desperate for them to sell up and leave so I can’t imagine that’s aimed at me.

For what it’s worth, results under Manning are fine, just like they were under Pearson, the squad is fine.

I don’t blame Manning or Pearson for why it’s clearly impossible to ever be any better than fine at this level. The club needs a change of owenership if it is to ever progress.

I do blame Manning for playing a style of football that utterly bores me, but that’s a side issue, and it seems plenty of other people actually enjoy it so good for them.

It was a general comment tbf, not aimed at you. What you say is where I am pretty much.

10 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Apart from die hard Manning ball fans, I'm not sure anyone is enjoying 0 goals in 3. 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Apart from die hard Manning ball fans, I'm not sure anyone is enjoying 0 goals in 3. 

Well I’d completely agree, but on Twitter (not really on here oddly) I keep reading how much better the football is and how better coached the team looks.

I think why yesterday’s result hurts so much, is after the team’s, fans, Club’s performance at West Ham that - at last - we had a collective all acting as one, seemingly pulling in one direction, a new dawn after the Nige debacle… and then the next game we just so passively, lamely revert back to type. All the ghosts of the past against one of our mid-table league rivals. 

So Bristol ******* City.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just a couple of points:

- Last week the Telegraph article with LM was published where the “9 full sessions” piece was said (and he also said it in his presser). I said at the time that off a bad result it could easily be seen as an excuse as opposed to a reason. The truth is that he has probably only had 9 sessions not focused on opponents - but guess what? So has every other manager in that time, and he went into MK Dons in a busier schedule and got immediate results because the squad was already set up by Russell Martin to how they wanted to play. He was a continuation candidate. The folly here is both the boards and Liams for trying to change loads mid season

- I think it’s absolutely reasonable to both blame Tinnion/Lansdown for matters and to have doubts if Manning is the right man for the job. Thats where I am. I’m unconvinced by track record to date but more pertinently, I am exceptionally concerned by the lack of adaptability and game management he’s shown since he’s been here. I don’t think that’s unreasonable and it’s not saying bring Pearson back. What it is saying is maybe there were more suitable candidates without ripping it up and starting again?

Exactly how I see it now.

59 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just a couple of points:

Agree. We are still playing the exact same formation and making identical substitutions on or around the hour mark that we were doing earlier in the season. Nothing has changed except we are now worse to watch and have become the easy touch that Pearson eradicated.

• Like 2

The reality is that we are a mid-table Championship club that has sacked a very experienced manager rather than backing him and replaced him with a relatively inexperienced young head coach. That was always going to be a significant risk, particularly mid-season. And so far the benefits of the change appear minimal/non-existent, while the risks remain considerable. That the football has also been dire in the past 3 games hasn’t helped, nor has the lack of goals and yet more recent losses at home to injury time goals. 

We all know that the stuff said by Lansdown and Tinnion at the time if Pearson’s departure was a load of rubbish but now comes the much harder part for them, in that they now need to back their new man. And a couple of teenagers and a returning young loanee is not going to cut it. We clearly need a different approach from an attacking perspective, so what is Manning going to do. More of the same and focussing on “processes” doesn’t work when you are actually judged on results.

I also worry that for all that Pearson did a great job on bringing through youngsters from the Academy and trusting them to play, Manning for all his “youth team experience at West Ham” won’t do the same and will be more like Johnson and Ashton. And that completely negates the stated club policy of “growing our own”. Like it or not, but 5 of our starters yesterday came through the age groups at the club. That is highly unusual at this level any more but should remain the template if at all possible as that is a more viable financially than splashing millions on players with little or no resale value.

• Flames 2

13 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Well I’d completely agree, but on Twitter (not really on here oddly) I keep reading how much better the football is and how better coached the team looks.

First half yesterday, there were times we looked over coached. Max - CB - other CB regardless of what runs were being made further upfield. Second half, we didn’t look like we had been coached at all, lost all 50/50s kicked away possession every time. So, I guess that averages out at exactly the right amount of coaching 🤣

Edited by Southport Red

3 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

That will be the ones who disliked Pearson and are desperate to show how getting rid of him was rhe right decision. We don't look well coached and the football isn't better. The last 3 league games have been dire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattredrobin said:

I have no doubts manning is a quality coach, I'm pleased we have him, I do find the way he talks a little boring ( nothing wrong with that im a boring bastard too ) but he's admitted himself we will get bored of hearing it, but he has a plan and a way of playing, we've moaned for years we don't have an identity of how we play and you can see what he's trying to do. Once he starts getting players in that can play the way he wants I'm sure we will see more consistent results. Attacking mid and a striker for me is what we need. 

What evidence have you seen in his body of work to date, as a coach leads you to the conclusion you make in your first line ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Mentioning the same word, behaviours, interview after interview is more a case of sounding a bit stupid than boring tbh. Comes across like you’ve got nothing else to say of any substance, especially when repeated four or five times in one interview. However he’s here to deliver results not shine in interviews so that can be glossed over for me…….for now.

Not really stupid is it, he looks for these things in players he wants them to be brave and forward thinking, isn't that what we want as fans ? If you don't have players who have it in them then you need get rid of those players and bring players in that have that mentality.....that will take time, but you are right he needs results 

1 minute ago, Mattredrobin said:

Not really stupid is it, he looks for these things in players he wants them to be brave and forward thinking, isn't that what we want as fans ? If you don't have players who have it in them then you need get rid of those players and bring players in that have that mentality.....that will take time, but you are right he needs results 

If you repeat something five times in an interview having mentioned it in every single interview since you arrived you will have to forgive some people for thinking he doesn’t seem to have much else to say.

• Flames 2

3 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

I thought we had a squad that had those qualities. So how come now we dont? 

• Like 3