IGNORED

West Ham United at home FA Cup replay match thread

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Aggression won that tonight. These Prem sides don’t like it when sides like us compete against them. 

One thing I really like, since probably the LJ run, is that we don’t compromise how we play because we are up against a prem side. And except from Man City last season, who are in a class of their own, it’s worked brilliantly for us. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Because championship teams give you far less space. I didn't think we passed well at all,I found myself groaning so many times

Thought I was the only one , thought we played well but also thought we give the ball away very cheaply a lot especially first half 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, One Team said:

Lots of facts from JP already go on son!

When he mentioned that SL started his business in his bedroom, I thought he would go on to describe the wallpaper, carpet, pictures on the wall and the larva lamp on the bedside table!

• Haha 10

The best thing about that is it was deserved. Sometimes you get upsets and they’re grubby, but it wasn’t. The period 25-40 we looked in a bit of trouble but were the better side for the remainder - clearly a red card helps but you’ve still got to play against it. And the subs were the right ones at the right times so credit to the bench as well as the players. Great stuff and now need to carry it to Watford.

• Like 6

Great result, City, and thoroughly deserved over the course of the 180 minutes. We didn’t even play that well tonight but Weet Ham were utterly gutless. Nice to see us set about them a bit and that tit Benrahma took the bait. Great backing from the Red Army.

It was screened on ESPN+ here and Stewart Robson was on co-commentary. He was practically crying.

Now, hopefully we can kick on in the league. I saw someone say they’d rather three points than win this but I strongly, strongly disagree - these types of evenings live long in the memory.

Now over to Norwich at the Stadium of Quiet and hope they can deny the Slags a trip up to Anfield and not have me in the awkward position of having to cheer on the Bin Dippers.

Well done 👍

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Oh no...Cornick 😆😬

Am I seriously the only one here that doesn't rate him? Comes in with so much promise and has his own song in the corner, but is slower than just about everyone, takes very few chances and creates even less than a holding striker like Diedhiou?

I despise being negative on this glorious night but in this team of hungry, capable and ambitious youngsters that are causing serious problems, he juts out like a sore thumb.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Haha, I didn't see the Williams-Benrahma incident because I lost some minutes of the second half: I discovered it here at the end of the game. 🤣 I just saw the episode in the cup's FB page and...I agree, Williams was lucky 😅 : anyway, after all the damages we had from Championship referees in recent seasons, we deserve a lot more of these pro-City errors, right?!? 😇

Just now, redkev said:

Thought I was the only one , thought we played well but also thought we give the ball away very cheaply a lot especially first half 

Think we've played better and lost! But trying to put the last few months to one and just enjoy seeing a team in red and white, 100% committed, out fight a Premier league side and get a result to be proud of. Well done lads

W

6 minutes ago, Maxex1979 said:

I thought, why can we not play like this in the league! 

We can......but only against teams above us in the table who will want possession and will attack us.

Weirdly, tonight's result isn't that shocking - another good result against a team above us in the table (or English football pyramid).

It's when we win 3 in a row against teams 16th, 18th, and 22nd in the Championship that I'll be shocked 😅

1 minute ago, cellist said:

Think we've played better and lost! But trying to put the last few months to one and just enjoy seeing a team in red and white, 100% committed, out fight a Premier league side and get a result to be proud of. Well done lads

W

With a bit of quality here or there and a bit of development for the youngsters there deffo a team in there somewhere

3 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Haha, I didn't see the Williams-Benrahma incident because I lost some minutes of the second half: I discovered it here at the end of the game. 🤣 I just saw the episode in the cup's FB page and...I agree, Williams was lucky 😅 : anyway, after all the damages we had from Championship referees in recent seasons, we deserve a lot more of these pro-City errors, right?!? 😇

I love how Williams is getting in faces a lot lately, but won’t get away with it forever..

new contract please

• Like 1
Just now, Banjo Island said:

What a contrast in performance the preston game was awful and tonight we were just incredible now if we could just bring that level of intensity commitment and passion who knows where it could take us

My thoughts exactly. Play some tidy football with some edge, what’s not to like

19 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

@Dan Robin is the only fan left who likes var. there’s always one 

How many penalties would have been awarded to City in the last seasons with VAR? How about red cards to opponents and other decisions?

Having better refereeings should be enough to want VAR, even if in England often it's not used properly (so more an English limit, I guess). Then the utility can be different depending on the context: I follow Italian football too, and even if dirty things will continue to  happen (sad but true 😑  ), at least VAR helps to reduce suspicious episodes. 

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I'm watching from Venice. Saw a very entertaining match at the weekend where the locals beat Andrea Pirlo's Sampdoria 5-3 in Serie B...standard not always the highest but the most entertaining game of football I have seen in years.

Hoping for something similar. It's freezing here too.

COYR!

I was there last week and went to the "Arsenale" to look at their ground, gutted i couldn't get a game in

• Robin 1

Loved the formation, TGH and Anis were superb in that midfield four. Going to have plenty of depth for that midfield box to keep things fresh. Plenty of interchangeable players. Can see why LM been waiting for Mccrorie to switch formations, looks like he’s gonna be a machine going forward and backwards. Brilliant from the whole 11.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

How many penalties would have been awarded to City in the last seasons with VAR? How about red cards to opponents and other decisions?

Having better refereeings should be enough to want VAR, even if in England often it's not used properly (so more an English limit, I guess). Then the utility can be different depending on the context: I follow Italian football too, and even if dirty things will continue to  happen (sad but true 😑  ), at least VAR helps to reduce suspicious episodes. 

Couldn’t care less. I go to football to celebrate goals and passionately support my team. Not wait for correct decisions to be made 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Can’t lie that actually felt like we were playing a mid table championship side for the majority of the game. 

Really solid performance, wasteful at times but got the job done. Need to follow it up Saturday now!!

Most mid table Championship sides would probably have given us more butterflies defending a slender lead heading into four minutes of additional time.

Even a man down and with a severely weakened squad, it looked like West Ham felt as of going out of the FA Cup was actually a good thing. Sad if true but take nothing away from City, who as I said weren’t exactly superb but gave 100% all night and were worthy victors.

• Like 1