IGNORED

West Ham United at home FA Cup replay match thread

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The only player that looked like he really wanted a row and fight for the cause was Coufal but unfortunately for him Pring was just as keen. That was a good battle tbf. As for the rest, we pissed all over them in the aggression stakes.

I'd also say Fabianski, running to get the ball - body language was good, but age has just caught up with him and he's never been good with his feet.

Why was my favourite moment of last night seeing TGH turn around and smack Cresswell 😂 I love that we have a few in our team who can get amongst it. 

They looked scared s***less every time Pring went 50/50 with any of their players, and Williams getting stuck in like an old Tommy Doc. Brilliant.

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

I'm wondering if var has made the prem soft. To quote corporal jones they didn't like it up em.

Agreed. Football in the Prem is almost a non-contact sport now.

All those West Ham fans calling us thugs. How do we tell them that we are in fact, one of the nicer teams in the Championship. That's why we are mid table.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2
Just now, Fuber said:

I'd also say Fabianski, running to get the ball - body language was good, but age has just caught up with him and he's never been good with his feet.

True. I can imagine some of our lot would blame him for the goal rather than the terrible back pass…well they would if Max was in goal anyway!!!

6 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Just what every top striker should have, great anticipation, but what is Zouma doing? That's a great picture Dave, shows how aware TC is

Zouma is slow as ####, isn’t he? It really struck me last night. He looked petrified by Tommy, really panicked. I’m usually quite critical of how we play Tommy as a lone striker when he doesn’t really bully Championship defenders. So it seemed strange to see him frightening the life out of a Prem defender, and a big unit like Zouma too.

Tactics were just right though: I’m sure Zouma would have been more comfortable if we’d played high balls towards him all the time. 

Sore head this morning but very much worth it  Absolutely superb night.  Fantastic atmosphere to match one of our best performances for a very good while.   Well done all, Manning, players and fans. Over the two games against a top 6 team we were absolutely superb. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Super said:

Vyner defended superbly but his passing was off all night.

One tackle second half, over by the Heineken corner, was Zak at his best. I thought he defended superbly too last night. Yes, a few passes adrift, mostly earlier on when West Ham were clearly targeting our defenders and closing down very quickly. 

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Brilliant game, fantastic atmosphere, best feeling for ages!

Well done everyone!

Not happy being kept in the Winterstoke Road car park for a g e s.. but hey ho.

COYR!

In spells the atmosphere was good.

25 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

I’ve been critical of the running of the football club on here recently by the Lansdowns, but WELL DONE Bristol City last night. Proud of the team. Great performance on national TV.  
Manning got the tactics spot on last night.

Those "tactics" being:

Bowen, Antonio and others injured

Joe Williams two-footing their "tempermentally" suspect forward and getting the desired reaction

A poor back pass

A visiting squad missing out on a few days in the warm sun away from Blighty in January and not really being "up for it"

A referee seeing enough things how we wanted to see things

Danny Ings

Etc, and so on.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 5
1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I didn’t want to bite to any of the comments from West Ham fans, saying that we kicked them off the park over 2 legs, but…. 13 fouls a piece over the 2 games. Williams tackle, isn’t a leg breaker as he’s got the ball, made contact with Ings’ leg and his leg didn’t break… in fact he went on to play 75 more mins… if the ball wasn’t there, then yes by all means a red card. But that small fact and to be fair to the Hammers, it can be tricky to spot in a game of Football, but the ball was there and it was won, looks worse in slow mo, in real time he barely touches Ings. Hence how he continued with no Injury, for a leg breaking tackle…. 

Annnnd, TGH, a little lucky on this one as his hand is high, however, the whole scenario is bought on by Cresswell. He pulls TGH shirt, puts his forearm to TGH chest and as TGH is trying to get away, he swings an arm, could be rose tinted glasses, but I actually think he goes to swing it over Cresswells head to swing his body around and force Cresswell to let go. Because he caught him, lucky not to get a red but at the same time would have been harsh imo. The afters off the ball on our next attack were also instigated by Cresswell as he stares at TGH, goes to body check him and in turn gets sent on his arse. 

IMG_6211.jpeg

IMG_6212.jpeg

Red card every day of the week.  Williams lucky.

58 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Why was my favourite moment of last night seeing TGH turn around and smack Cresswell 😂 I love that we have a few in our team who can get amongst it. 

They looked scared s***less every time Pring went 50/50 with any of their players, and Williams getting stuck in like an old Tommy Doc. Brilliant.

It was brilliant.  City have been a soft touch for far too long in the past, but definitely not any more.

Shows how pathetic the Prem has got, if they reckon we were dirty. Tenacious yes, but dirty definitely not, so they just need to man up.

Love it City and proud of every one of them last night.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Slack Bladder said:

Agreed. Football in the Prem is almost a non-contact sport now.

All those West Ham fans calling us thugs. How do we tell them that we are in fact, one of the nicer teams in the Championship. That's why we are mid table.

That's the issue with the prem,with both var and diving it's been pushed to the point as you mention of almost non contact. The west ham of old would have shown far more guts and gave us back as good as they got. Their team last night and the first game genuinely didnt know what to do when a team got stuck into them and looked frightened to death. Imagine them against some of the more physical champ sites. 

Every prem striker would have gone down if in Conways shoes when keeper made contact with him but he stayed on his feet for the goal as they would know var would show contact and a pen. It's ruining the game.

I feel for true west ham fans as apart from one or two of thiern players the rest really didn't want to be there.

Edited by Crackers Corner
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It was brilliant.  City have been a soft touch for far too long in the past, but definitely not any more.

Shows how pathetic the Prem has got, if they reckon we were dirty. Tenacious yes, but dirty definitely not, so they just need to man up.

Love it City and proud of every one of them last night.

Premier League is now really a non contact sport. The fans of the club's and players have lost touch of the reality of the actual sport. It's a physical game.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
1 hour ago, 2015 said:

To be fair, i like that tgh will get stuck in, but if he had got a red card for that and we lost the game, he will have got lambasted on here,, it was a stupid thing to do when we had the advantage and he got away with it.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Premier League is now really a non contact sport. The fans of the club's and players have lost touch of the reality of the actual sport. It's a physical game.

It was a pure joy to watch a City side dominate on the physical side.  Makes a huge difference.  Hope we can continue to build on that at our level as well.   

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

That's the issue with the prem,with both var and diving it's been pushed to the point as you mention of almost non contact. The west ham of old would have shown far more guts and gave us back as good as they got. Their team last night and the first game genuinely didnt know what to do when a team got stuck into them and looked frightened to death. Imagine them against some of the more physical champ sites. 

Every prem striker would have gone down if in Conways shoes when keeper made contact with him but he stayed on his feet for the goal as they would know var would show contact and a pen. It's ruining the game.

I feel for true west ham fans as apart from one or two of thiern players the rest really didn't want to be there.

Absolutely this.  Massive credit to Tommy and he got his just rewards for staying on his feet.  

So refreshing to see some honesty in football, rather than the cheating b*starts who hit the deck without even being touched.  

How many times have we heard the comment “there was contact, so he was entitled to go down”.  That one incident last night gave me flashbacks to the old days when there was far more honesty on football.

Well done Tommy!!! 👏👏👏

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Couldn’t agree more. 👍

In the Prem, it appears to be a form of pseudo football, rather than the real thing.  A kind of ‘stand back and watch all the fancy tricks I can do’, rather than actually playing in the true spirit of football.

I want to see us get a taste of the top flight, but that’s a part I actually dread.

It's fantastic to get through and I thought the club showed up well on the big stage - a proper cup tie, a proper atmosphere and the first proper shock of the third round.

I actually thought we were quite poor in the first half - we broadly defended well but still conceded a couple of very good chances and struggled to string two passes together. We didn't deserve to go in ahead and it was probably the worst of the four halves we played in the tie.

But I thought we looked much more aggressive after half-time, played forward quicker and offered so much more as an attacking force. That was pleasing because if we'd come out after the break just thinking "keep it going, more of the same" it would've caught up with us.

The sending off obviously helped us but even before that we had more intent. And, from the red card onwards, we generally had pretty good control.

It's worth saying that, sat in an office full of neutral and mostly EFL club-supporting fans, the consensus was Joe Williams probably should've been booked on three occasions (although none of us were convinced the first-half challenge was a straight red card given his foot hits the ball, rolls over it and bounces up - it definitely looked worse on the slow mo) and Taylor Gardner-Hickman should clearly have been sent off for swinging his arm at Aaron Cresswell. Both were pretty lucky.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

Was very impressed with the ability of Max on the ball. Happy to receive it, control was excellent and on the whole good passing was good. 

Also got a good throw on him. 

Well played son. 

Yes true, there were times when that throw could have been sent out sooner, although he’s probably under instructions to wait until we’ve got our shape back. 

There was a point where he did end chucking it sooner and I swear that was as a result of the fans urging him on. 

Great save and although there were a few wobbly moments, but I’m happy with Max and I doubt we’ll realistically get anything that’s better on our budget  

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Couldn’t agree more. 👍

In the Prem, it appears to be a form of pseudo football, rather than the real thing.  A kind of ‘stand back and watch all the fancy tricks I can do’, rather than actually playing in the true spirit of football.

I want to see us get a taste of the top flight, but that’s a part I actually dread.

Just what I said to my OH. This is championship football. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Couldn’t agree more. 👍

It will be good for a season or two. That's about it imo. Overhyped, overpaid primadonna's most of them and everything that goes with it isn't for me.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
Just now, 2015 said:

It will be good for a season or two. That's about it imo. Overhyped, overpaid primadonna's most of them and everything that goes with it isn't for me.

Yep, just want to get that Premier League  monkey off our back and also get some of those parachute payments, before they cut themselves off and go for some European league.